Roy Grant G100AS KT77 amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Grant G100AS KT77 amp

By a stroke of luck I have found myself the owner of one of these vintage English beauties. Still has the original tubes which happen to be the (now) eye wateringly expensive UK made Gold Lions. I have very limited knowledge of tubes and, although it sounds great right now I can't help wondering how much life is left in those bottles. I am aware the amp was bought new in the early 80s, and that it was laid up from about '94 til yesterday.

Considering a NOS set is completely out of the question, does anyone have recommendations for replacements, should they be necessary?
    "The Satchel" handmade leather record bag
    Custom racks and speaker stands
    https://www.webstagram.one/user/grizzlyworks_racks
    https://www.facebook.com/grizzlycustom/

Team global vintage/modern
    Turntable- Pioneer PL-50L + Benz Micro Wood SL
    Phono- Graham Slee Elevator + Reflex M
    CD- Vimak DT-800
    DAC- TEAC UD-501
    Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P
    Power- Yamaha B-1 and B-2(both fully restored)
    Speakers- Energy Veritas 2.8

The Genelex Gold Lion reissues are very good. I’m always happy with Upscale Audio as a source

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
      EdAInWestOC commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed...excellent quality tubes.

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post
    By a stroke of luck I have found myself the owner of one of these vintage English beauties. Still has the original tubes which happen to be the (now) eye wateringly expensive UK made Gold Lions. I have very limited knowledge of tubes and, although it sounds great right now I can't help wondering how much life is left in those bottles. I am aware the amp was bought new in the early 80s, and that it was laid up from about '94 til yesterday.

Considering a NOS set is completely out of the question, does anyone have recommendations for replacements, should they be necessary?
    Congrats. You may be more at risk of some of the caps drying out than the tubes not being good.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post

Congrats. You may be more at risk of some of the caps drying out than the tubes not being good.
      So the KT77 are fairly long lived then?

CD- Vimak DT-800
      DAC- TEAC UD-501
      Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

I would try to find someone who has a tube tester for that type and have the originals checked, if they are still good, I would stick with the originals rather than go with a reissue.
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

They should be as long as someone didn't run them at too "hot."

As JCO said, you should have them tested.
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

How about taking a picture of the KT-77s that show the condition of the getters?
            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

How about taking a picture of the KT-77s that show the condition of the getters?
              I'll try, what are we looking for exactly?

CD- Vimak DT-800
              DAC- TEAC UD-501
              Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

• mep
                mep commented
                Editing a comment
                The getter flashing. Take pictures that show the tops of the tubes.

Originally posted by mep View Post

I hope these help, apologies for my inexperience!

CD- Vimak DT-800
              DAC- TEAC UD-501
              Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

• mep
                mep commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for taking the pictures. The tubes have some miles on them and I would look to find someone with a tube tester to check out their health. I have seen real Genelex KT-88 tubes that had horrible looking getter flashing and they still tested like new.

is there any problem adjusting the bias on either channel?
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Grizzly
                Grizzly commented
                Editing a comment
                It does go a little off now and again. There are 2 red lights next to each tube and intuitively I assume the knob is gently turned until both are equally lit. On 2 of the tubes it seems to drift marginally after using it for a while

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                bias normally drifts a little as an amp warms up and the final adjustment should be made after warm up, But if you can achieve bias levels on both channels, theres a good chance all the output tubes are still good;

Well I have a set of '65 Telefunken ECC83 on their way, as well as a matched quad of the new Gold Lion reissues. A few mates between them have a stack of nice 12AU7 to try out so I'll be rolling madly for a while to see what happens. Regardless, this is a wonderful sounding amp for 50 watts per side.

CD- Vimak DT-800
              DAC- TEAC UD-501
              Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

See if the amp will take take 6CA7. NOS JAN Sylvania are nice for $100 each. I know a guy with some.

Also, Siemens 6052 are excellent signal tubes.

You probably know but signal tubes run gentle get about 10,000 hours. Power tubes run gentle get maybe 3,000. Unless its a Carver. He warranty his power tubes for 5 years.

yea, yea, yea, that is very general numbers.
                PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
                Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• Grizzly
                  Grizzly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Research suggests that the 77s, run gently as I believe they are here (biased to give 25w rather than the 32w max) may give 5000 hours.
                  A good mate dropped off 15 pairs of lightly used NOS 12AU7 for me to experiment with and tells me he has a tester as well so I may borrow that to check the health of the existing tubes. One of the KTs drifts ever so slightly after an hour or so, the other 3 now seem rock solid.

The new KT77s are in, and a pair of NOS 1965 Telefunken ECC83 are waiting in the wings!

CD- Vimak DT-800
                DAC- TEAC UD-501
                Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

Working...
                X