• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Metamatic
    Premier Club Member
    • Mar 2016

conrad johnson and KT150 valves

Hi Guys

I own premier 8A monoblocks with teflon upgrade. I have used 6550 and KT120's, both of which are getting to the end of their life.

Can you put in KT150's into the cj amps?

cheers
  • kcin
    Forum Leader
    • Nov 2016

Hi there,

I guess the obvious is to ask CJ ... looking at the data sheets on heater current alone 6550 NOS types use 1.6a while the range for KT150 is up to 2.0a per tube. Thats a 25% increase ... I wouldn't do it- Manufacturers generally go as small as they can on iron to save costs - even CJ would not have envisioned a KT150 in the works.

Good luck
    Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Custom Slagle Silver Autoformer Volume control
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Etsuro Gold, DaVa FA-1 Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
    Otari Bx5050II , DeHavlland 222
    Chord DAVE, MScaler, FARAD linear power supply mod, OPTO-DX optical connection

Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair

Comment

• Hawk
      • Apr 2016

Hi Shane. I spoke to Jeff Fischel at CJ on a couple of things. CJ Gat S1 to CJ Gat S2 upgrade. Volume pot issue on my CJ Premier 3. He had a laugh that I have accumulated 3 Conrad Johnson MV 100 Power amps. I told Jeff that I use one MV100 for both music and a heat source at my cabin.

As far as the KT150's, Jeff said that they would not work in a Premier 8A. He said that the entire amp should be designed around the KT150. Jeff suggested the 6550's or KT120's for the Premier 8A.

The new CJ ART300 would be sweet. Unfortunately, I don't have $36 K in my back pocket at the moment. I think I will pull the trigger on the Gat S2 later this summer. Jeff said that I can use the PCC88 or one of my many 6922 tube sets. He said Gat S2 should be no harder on tubes then the Gat S1. Other then the stock EH 6922, I have not had any issues with short tube life on my Gat S1.
      CJ Gat, CJ Art108a, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Output & separate power supply), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Everest, Triton V3, Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Sigma SC's & Python Zitron IC's. Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints & Stillpoints Aperture Panels.

Comment

• Metamatic
        Premier Club Member
        • Mar 2016

Thanks guys. Looks like I stay with KT120's

cheers

Comment

• chrisfromri
          Banned
          • May 2019

What was the difference in sound you recall between the KT-120 set and the 6550 set in your CJ amps?

Obviously the KT-120 is "capable of" more output power on its data-sheet as its anode and control grid have higher dissipation ratings, but the actual output attained in a circuit is more based on an amplifier's ability to supply plate voltage and current. Often putting a "bigger" tube in (one with a larger anode structure that can dissipate more heat, and/or with greater inter-electrode element spacing) doesn't generate any more power output though it can certainly provide longer life, however it can provide a different sound. OTOH, a "smaller" tube can provide a different sound too. Which sound is preferable is more about the listening experience - so I'm interested in which sounds better in your experience, and what differences you noted.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

• Metamatic
            Premier Club Member
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by chrisfromri
            What was the difference in sound you recall between the KT-120 set and the 6550 set in your CJ amps?

Obviously the KT-120 is "capable of" more output power on its data-sheet as its anode and control grid have higher dissipation ratings, but the actual output attained in a circuit is more based on an amplifier's ability to supply plate voltage and current. Often putting a "bigger" tube in (one with a larger anode structure that can dissipate more heat, and/or with greater inter-electrode element spacing) doesn't generate any more power output though it can certainly provide longer life, however it can provide a different sound. OTOH, a "smaller" tube can provide a different sound too. Which sound is preferable is more about the listening experience - so I'm interested in which sounds better in your experience, and what differences you noted.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Chris

I missed this. In my system at this point in time, the KT120's are definitely better sounding. I think the Sovtek 6550's are worn out as they sound recessed in the treble and lower midrange and forward in the upper mids. Quite unbalanced in listening. Not how I remember them previously.

the KT120's have a bigger soundstage, better frequency extension and sound more natural. the 6550's are a little faster/tighter in the bass.

cheers

Comment

• chrisfromri
              Banned
              • May 2019

Thanks for your audible observations! I too have found that 6550s could be quicker, but only also tried the comparison to KT-88s which I though were generally more satisfying.

Comment

• Metamatic
                Metamatic commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought 16 damn KT88's a while back. The Svetlana 6550's were a lot better. Unfortunately you cannot buy the original reflecktor factory Svets.

• chrisfromri
                chrisfromri commented
                Editing a comment
                I just bought 4 Svetlana KT-88s for one of my amps that is on loan to a friend driving his large IMF Monitors. I used to have Svetlana 6550s, which I wore out, and then went to Sovtek KT-88s which I though improved the bass. In my amp, which is a push-pull pair per side the KT-88s seem to be better sounding.
            • Garth
              Premier Club Member
              • Feb 2016

Odd i would have thought the 6550 would have sounded best,

Comment

• Metamatic
                Metamatic commented
                Editing a comment
                That is why I put the comment that they might be past few their use by date and worn out. The KT120's definitely sound better. conrad johnson have similar views.
            • wspohn
              Forum Leader
              • Aug 2016

I'm not sure there is any rule about upgrading power tube types - I think it may be specific to the amp you are dealing with.
              I went from stock 6550s in my Premier 11a to Genalex Gold Lion KT88s and am pleased with the improvement, but YMMV.
              Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner, Moon 280D DAC

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS, Hegel HD12 DAC

#3 Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

Working...