Spatial Representation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spatial Representation

Today something happened which I thought some of you would find interesting.

I currently have one of those fancy, modern, expensive, low powered, stereo 211 tube, boutique amps here to try. And it visually stunning to boot. All amps prior to this in my studio were high quality transistor amps. Then, today, a customer ordered the Albert Daley/Stan Getz duets I recorded in the early 80s at Stan's studio. Back then I had concern when I encountered Stan's studio as it had a low ceiling and a consequent slightly hollow sound to it. But I was there to record and had nothing I could do about it -- not to mention the musicians were brilliant so I got on with it. Making copies for customers several months ago I never heard the abberrated coloration I heard at the original recording. I was relieved and forgot about it. But today using this high end artisan 211 tube amp, and without trying or remembering it, I heard the coloration at once. I almost fell over, and had completely forgotten about it. I was right back there back in the studio. It is there on the tape if one can extract it. So apparently some amps or preamps can reconstruct this spacial thing and some cannot. This particular 211 did it to my surprise. I'd like to hear other's similar experiences. I suspect people buy high quality tube gear not because it is "warm" (the usually cliche) but because of how tubes render space, depth, etc. And that affects tone. Any input would be appreciated.
    JLH

Enjoyable anecdote. I've had Satori moments like yours, like when Im at wits' end giving up on tubes altogether (tube rush/noise, catastrophic failures, etc.) then I change them out for SS or something totally opposite. When the dust settles its hard to argue against tube's sonic strengths (spatial recreation notwithstanding) even in the face of logical, well placed arguments favoring SS's technical superiority. FWIW, I had a pair of Airtight ATM211 amps in my system and with the right speaker (Harbeth in this instance) the SQ was sublime and elevated the performance.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | B.M.C. MCCI Signature ULN | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Thanks. As a note I love transistor amps too. This is just an obvious strength of this 211. And I like a very modern, transparent tube sound, nothing near warm or fuzzy.
      JLH

Comment

Working...
      X