Low-output, Vacuum Tube SET Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-output, Vacuum Tube SET Amps

I’m interested in getting a two-channel, vacuum tube SET power amp with at least 10 wpc but no more necessary than about 35 wpc. My system is mostly Audio Note UK. I have heard amps with dual-parallel 2A3’s, 300B’s, and 211’s and I liked them all but none were perfect. The 2A3’s had a beautiful and subjectively linear tone but lacked bass definition. The 300B’s blossomed a bit too much in the midrange for me. The 211’s has the most subjectively authentic reproduction (to me) but sounded a little thick and less engaging than the 2A3’s. My speakers are Audio Note AN-E SEC Silvers and the preamp will most likely be an Audio Note M3 Phono. Does anyone have any observations or opinions about these kind of power amp’s?
    Transrotor Rossini Turntable w/Jelco SA-750DB
    Audio Note Io Gold Cart. w/AN-S9 SUT
    Audio Note CDT-Four Transport/Woo WDS-1 DAC
    Ayre QX-5 Twenty Dig. Hub & 13” MacBook Pro w/Roon w/Melco N1A NAS
    AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters
    Purple J-Corder 1520 R2R and Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
    PSAudio P10 AC Regen./Equi=Tech Bal. Transformer
    Harmonic Technology, Audio Note, Kondo Sound Labs, Stealth, AQ Cables
    Woo GES w/Sfax SR-507 Headphones

Isnt 10-35 Watts more like medium to high output for a SET amp?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Galileo
      Galileo commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s low compared to most other types of amps out there.

Single output tube SET amps typically use three types of triodes which produce the following wattage: 45 - around two watts per channel, 2A3 - around five watts; and the 300b - around eight watts. To get the wattage you want you would need an amplifier that utilizes a 211 / 845 power triode which can get costly due to the power transformers required. You can also go down the parallel SET route which basically doubles the output of the tube employed but "can" add additional distortion when compared to a single output tube.

Comment

• Galileo
      Galileo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, but I know those things. I was looking for a more qualitative assessment of the sound of different kinds of SET power tubes than a quantitative one.

Check out Line Magnetic. In the immortal words of The Rolling Stones, " You might get just what you need".
    Main System: VPI Prime, Ortofon A95, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Bottlehead Eros Phono-pre, Phoenix Eagle and Roadrunner Tach, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super, Ortofon 2M Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, PrimaLuna Prologue PreAmp and Monoblocks, Martin Logan Summit X's. Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

2a3 like extension with bass definition oodles of fluidity in between, Lamm ML2.2. 18wpc using a single 6c33 power tube per monoblock. The other 6c33s aren't in parallel, they are V regulators. Tube rolling is easy with 12ax7 inputs bringing the bulk of the sound changes. Expensive but these days, not SUPER expensive.

Comment

Working...
      X