Nothing New Under The Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing New Under The Sun

“The D-150, in other words, seems to have finally bridged that long-narrowing gap between the musical liquidity of the best tube amps and the openness, crispness and solidity of the best solid-state amps.”

circa 1976.

I always loved that classic ARC instrumentation look.
    We mentioned in the last issue that we were becoming increasingly disturbed by "a certain manic quality that is creeping into this pursuit of sonic perfection." We were referring then to a manufacturer's announcement of the imminent availability of a speaker system weighing over 1000 lb per channel, but we could just as well have been speaking of this behemoth from Audio Research.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

With all of the supposed advancements in audio playback since 1976, our systems today should sound like live music itself, and it still doesn't It was a lot simpler being at the tippy top of the hobby back then, there were far fewer players (mfrs) at this level and the product life cycles were long. IMHO, the field today is too crowded and as soon as a new model hits the market a successor is barely a year behind...and It's not always an improvement over the previous model but it will cost more! I'd bet the Dual 150 still sounds great, even by today's standards.
    Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | LTA ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I had a friend who had the D-150 and I loved it. And really lusted for one but couldn't afford it at the time. I also didn't have good luck with tubes then either so I used the D-110 (solid state) modified by Bob Fulton at that time, which sounded great for solid state but didn't have the liquidity. I would really like to have a D-150 now fully restored...

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess the D-79 was the controversial one but just as desirable. I had a D-70 Mk II and D-115 MkII from the early '80s. both fabulous amps.

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had my fair share of ARC amps over the years including the D-79. The D-79 was not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      With all of the supposed advancements in audio playback since 1976, our systems today should sound like live music itself, and it still doesn't It was a lot simpler being at the tippy top of the hobby back then, there were far fewer players (mfrs) at this level and the product life cycles were long. IMHO, the field today is too crowded and as soon as a new model hits the market a successor is barely a year behind...and It's not always an improvement over the previous model but it will cost more! I'd bet the Dual 150 still sounds great, even by today's standards.
      I think you've hit it on the head. Too many players now with a shrinking market. Manufacturers are making it up on price catering to foreign markets.

I always argue --- if I was not in school and had a job-- back in the late 70s early 80s when materials and minds for high end were really peaking that I could of found a way to afford the best: a Goldmund turntable or a big Audio Research piece.

Today, that is impossible unless I wanted to send my kids to community college instead of a good University.

Funny but sad story, A local audiophile nut who I think spent his inheritance on audio instead of his family had a D79, SP6 , Beveridge speakers and a Goldmund with a T3 on it when they were all current back in the day. When he wanted to flip the D79 for some Mark Levinson gear he offered it to me for some ridiculous price but I declined as I was going back to school that fall... I had it on trial for a week or so at my house and it was unbelievable on the Acoustats. I recommended it to my friend who did eventually buy it so I admired it from afar.That friend flipped it as well and never told me about or I would have bought it.... oh well.

The D150 and the D79s were true beasts.
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

My amps and preamp are all based upon historic tube designs. No new technology. To me they are fantastic. Digital seems to be the only technology that is actually advancing at this time. I wonder when it will peak and we will be having the same coversation.
        PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          Powerful Statement.

Comment

I remember hearing that amp at Bob Fredere's house in Minneapolis, listening with Bob Fulton and Bill Johnson, on Bob's FMI J system and later on the Premiers.

I ran a D51 for a year or so before switching over to OTL amps which I have run ever since. I don't miss the old days- phono sections are better now, tone arms and cartridges are better (Bob Fulton recommended the Shure V-15 to go with a D150, Bravura preamp and his speakers...), speakers have gotten better and while Fulton founded the high end audio cable industry almost single-handedly, cables have improved and things like balanced lines have been introduced ( fun fact: that was my doing...) and we are seeing new stuff like class D and streaming.

I did like the styling of the D-150. IMO it was one of their best looking amps, but I go for that industrial look.

Comment

I agree with atmosphere. I owned a D-150 and back then it was a wonderful amp in many ways but not nearly as good as my tube amps of today. Just my opinion. And love the way it looked.
              JLH

Comment

Working...
              X