X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Reflections on cj’s ART300 Amplifier

This thread is a bit of a follow-up to the previous thread found here:

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...lacement-tubes

Recently I’ve been playing with the driver/phase splitter tubes in my amps. The stock ART300s that I reviewed were originally supplied with EH6922 tubes. Later on I tried Phillips 7DJ8s (the same tube used in the GAT S.2) in place of the EH tubes. Some of my trials and tribulations with the EH are in the above link but suffice it say it seems the Q/C of these new EH6922s leaves a lot to desired.

The Phillips were once burned in an upgrade over the original EH6922 tubes. Lows were tighter, the sound was more transparent and there was just more musical information coming through.

One thing, however, bothered me about these Phillips tubes: there was a bit of coldness and teeny edge to the sound. I missed and for all their faults missed a little of the midrange sound of the at least original 6922EHs. I even tried for the hell of it mixing one 6922EH with one 7DJ8 per side and that proved a step in the right direction.

Then I decided after a discussion with Jeff Fischel (owner of cj) to give the new Gold Lion 6922s a try in my amps (for the record, the original Gold Lion company never manufactured 6922) . They’ve been played for 50+ hours and these are my impressions so far. The GL6922s are a good middle ground between the two aforementioned tubes. They have the midrange I was searching for of the EH along with the transparency of the Phillips. The GL 6922s don’t quite have the detail, transient quickness nor low end tightness of the Phillips; on the other hand, they don’t have the sometimes problematic sheen of the 7DJ8s. Still there’s no lack of low level information and the low end always holds together. I particularly enjoyed the GL6922’s huge soundstage and harmonic completeness. Something like the best vintage UK tubes without the excessive bloom or fullness of say a Mullard.

Now here’s where I am going to get myself in trouble. The GL6922s brings the ART300 a step towards what I heard in the cj’s new ART27A KT88 based triode amplifier. A throwback to the classic tube amplifier sound of yesteryear without the attendant colorations. Warm and rich. Vocals that just don’t sound artificial. A great sense of space. Yes I know the ART 27A is a triode amp with other circuit changes. Yet the ART300 gives you a ton of tube power with a more tube than “neutral” sound.

In the end, the final choice may also come down to the rest of the system.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Myles,

I'm curious how the CJ 300's sound compared to the Merrill Audio Elemente 116 amps in your system? Or maybe is it CJ in winter and Merrill in summer.
    McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
    Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,
    Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

Originally posted by russe41 View Post
      Myles,

I'm curious how the CJ 300's sound compared to the Merrill Audio Elemente 116 amps in your system? Or maybe is it CJ in winter and Merrill in summer.
      Ha, I’ll let you know in the upcoming review.

-cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

My experience exactly with Philips tubes especially the 6922 types manufactured at the end of the tube era around 1984 or so in the USA.

Those 7DJ8s could have very well have been 6922s . At the end of production, Philips would use what they had and simply re name the types .. so a 6922 could be a 7DJ8 or a 7308 or a ... well you get it. I have good evidence of this with Philips ..including this type.

They are very reliable but edgy... It just goes to show how impactful something as simple as a tube change would be on a highly resolving system.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
          My experience exactly with Philips tubes especially the 6922 types manufactured at the end of the tube era around 1984 or so in the USA.

Those 7DJ8s could have very well have been 6922s . At the end of production, Philips would use what they had and simply re name the types .. so a 6922 could be a 7DJ8 or a 7308 or a ... well you get it. I have good evidence of this with Philips ..including this type.

They are very reliable but edgy... It just goes to show how impactful something as simple as a tube change would be on a highly resolving system.
          These are real, early ‘70s 7DJ8s made at the factory in Holland, not relabeled 6922s. Later Phillips 7DJ8s were made with Holland parts at the Ei factory in Yugoslavia. But yes, I’ve not been a fan of later Phillips tunes made here. Especially 12AT7s and 12AU7s.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

These are real, early ‘70s 7DJ8s made at the factory in Holland, not relabeled 6922s. Later Phillips 7DJ8s were made with Holland parts at the Ei factory in Yugoslavia. But yes, I’ve not been a fan of later Phillips tunes made here. Especially 12AT7s and 12AU7s.
            You're right, that Phillips should demonstrate better results. By the way, I've heard that VIZIO SB3651-F6 soundbar should have no problem with Phillips 7DJ8s. Here is a great review about them ( https://chooserator.com/compare-soun...6-vs-sb3651-f6 ). Do you think it would be a nice present for my uncle? I mean VIZIO soundbar.
            Last edited by loganss10; 03-20-2020, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I'd really like to try the ART 27A on my horns in lieu of a higher powered SET like a 211 or 845.

Comment

Working...
              X