New Audio Frontiers = New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Audio Frontiers = New World

I replaced some custom built 300B monoblocks with a pair of New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks. Even with no break in period, just a few hours out of the box, it's a staggeringly different but wonderful world!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	130279Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	130280Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	130281​​​
    Attached Files
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
    Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener -
    Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Man, those are nice! And what is that plugged into the outlet alongside an amp?

Comment

Originally posted by seamonster View Post
      Man, those are nice! And what is that plugged into the outlet alongside an amp?
      Thank you! This gizmo from High Fidelity Cables. http://www.highfidelitycables.com/po...tioners/mc-05/

I had an opportunity to pick up a couple of them used some time back. I don't have the golden ears that many of you do and I can't say with 100% certainty that I can hear an improvement with them in place. But I don't hear it hurt anything either so it just sits there.
      Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• seamonster
        seamonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

• lance002
        lance002 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the headsup; they are 35% off until the end of January, with further discounts for 2 or 4. I bought 2.

Very nice; for "high power" a 211-based amplifier is the way to go. The 211 seemed to catch a lot of the 300B magic with much more power.

My progression was MC275 first revision -> modified Quicksilver -> modified Tom Tutay Altec -> stock 211. Each step was a major improvement, but the last was amazing.

I still have my 211-based amplifier just in case I change speakers (the advertising always includes something along the lines of "can easily drive any speaker").

I went the opposite way: 211 to 300B as I found even 8 watts was sufficient, but if I ever need more power the 211 is definitely back in service.

You should check out the Psvane 211 tube offerings.

Aurender X100L, Esoteric Grandioso K1, The Truth linestage, Mara Machines MCI JH110 Reel to Reel 1/4" 2 track Hi-Fi version, Coincident M300B Frankenstein II amplifiers, 300B Psvane ACME Supreme 1% tubes, Coincident Triumph Extreme II speakers, Coincident Statement interconnects, Coincident Statement speaker cables, Coincident Nordost and Shunyata power cords, Coincident Statement USB, Element subwoofer with Behringer 24/96 crossover, Final Audio Design Sonorous X headphones, EMIA silver autoformer headphone volume control, Nordost Qbase8, Furutech FLUX 50 NCF and GTX-D NCF (R), HRS DPX Damping Plate, Tascam DA-3000/Mutec 3+ USB/SOtM 75 ohm, Mutec REF10, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50, ADD-POWR ElectraClear/Wizard/Sorcer x4.

Comment

• Kingrex
        Kingrex commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a set of Altec Tom Tutay modified amps I am selling. I will list them under the correct category when I get some good pictures. They are a pretty inexpensive way to get into big bottle amps. And they have around 135 watts of power.

Congrats! Beautiful Amps.

Your Horning speakers are very efficient. How much power do your new monoblocks have?
      CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
        jonathanhorwich commented
        Editing a comment
        As a note the Hornings only need 12-15 watts.

Heard the New Audio Frontiers amps in High Water Sound's room at Axpona. Great sounding system. Congratulations

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
        1morerecord2clean commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I forgot these were Jeff’s amps at AXPONA so I heard them as well and liked the sound. He was playing McCartney Unplugged and it was terrific.

• timztunz
        timztunz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, and I bought that record because of your comment about it at the time. Great LP!

Love the 211 congrats. For me the 300B has limited application and just does not work out for me.

I use my Wyetech and still love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TopazHiRes1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	130312
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        There's one up on the 'Gon, the seller is in NY and the price is tempting...Im trying to ignore the ad but it's haunting me. you know that feeling

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
      Congrats! Beautiful Amps.

Your Horning speakers are very efficient. How much power do your new monoblocks have?
      40 Class A

Comment

I compared their 300b with various amps on Devore orangutan and found the NAF to be the best. Other amps tried in the same room were jadis 100w integrated, silvercore 833c 20w, another German 520 valve amp, and Riviera 50w monos. In another room tried airtight 300b and airtight el34, and also have heard the mastersound 845. While ideally I would like to compare NAF with the airtight, gut says NAF is better. But in 300b roll the valves to KR or elrog, and in 211 I suggest doing similar. If you want to really spend up for quality get the Amperex nos 211 though quads are rare to find.

Comment

I own the stereo NAF 211. Tim has the mono versions. I’ve found what the NAF does that I’ve never heard in an amp is reproduce the space of an instrument, and especially in the bass, upper bass range, it creates a three dimensional scary stage presence and sound.
          Last edited by jonathanhorwich; 01-20-2020, 06:28 PM.
          JLH

Comment

Hi, we compared the psvane, acme, KR, RCA, GE, and Amperex 211 tubes. The KR was superior to the psvane and acme, all of which are current production.. The RCA and the GE were better than the KR. The Amperex was substantially better than all but is a rare to find tube in good state and expensive. It just improves overall tone, energy, details, decay, bass, stage, wholeness, everything. The compares were done on SETs and horns, while one of the listeners himself owned a push pull 211 that he was using on apogees (poor match imo), but there too the Amperex was better. National union is supposed to be the other good 211 tube but never heard myself.

KR Audio and Elrog are the current production ones and generally make good sounding tubes on all varieties. I have never tried the Elrog 211 myself but having tried their other tubes, that is one I would try along with the KR. You can probably buy them directly from the respective companies

Comment

• kcin
              kcin commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not heard the KR and the RCA and Amperex are extremely rare. Interesting on the Acme as that is the new highly touted Shuguang . NOS GE's are still relatively availbale and cheap compared to the others. I wiill stick with the GEs unless a pair of RCAs or Amperex land in my lap.

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              The Acme thread started on WBF from people before they even heard it. They were just excited and a few bought. They did no compares. As for the 274b rectifier, at least 2 of us found it rated 5th in one of the Lampi set ups, though it will change a bit set up to set up. I will try the recti in more set ups.

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
            New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks.]​​​
            Beautiful, and I bet they sound beautiful too.

What model SRA amp stand is that?

Comment

Nice looking amps. Congratulations.
              PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
              Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
              Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
                Hi, we compared the psvane, acme, KR, RCA, GE, and Amperex 211 tubes. The KR was superior to the psvane and acme, all of which are current production.. The RCA and the GE were better than the KR. The Amperex was substantially better than all but is a rare to find tube in good state and expensive. It just improves overall tone, energy, details, decay, bass, stage, wholeness, everything. The compares were done on SETs and horns, while one of the listeners himself owned a push pull 211 that he was using on apogees (poor match imo), but there too the Amperex was better. National union is supposed to be the other good 211 tube but never heard myself.

KR Audio and Elrog are the current production ones and generally make good sounding tubes on all varieties. I have never tried the Elrog 211 myself but having tried their other tubes, that is one I would try along with the KR. You can probably buy them directly from the respective companies
                Could you fill us in a little on the methodology used in your tube comparisons?
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• bonzo75
                  bonzo75 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We had a 211 amp on horns Universum. We had the designer of the amp with us to check if it needed biasing. He had voiced it with the Psvane valves. He also owned the KR. The RCA, GE, and Amperex 211 were brought over by one of the users you see on forums named User211. He has a large collection of 211s. We rotated the various tubes on this amp giving sufficient time for warm up, though the Amperex blew the others away from cold. I had personally compared KR and Psvane there before, and would do KR and Acme 211 later. All three of us had the same preference in this system. User211's system was push pull 211 on apogee duetta on which he always preferred Amperex 211s as well.

Originally posted by kach22i View Post
                Beautiful, and I bet they sound beautiful too.

What model SRA amp stand is that?

SRA stands are custom made for each component. That looks like the Ohio Clas +2 Class but might be wrong and is the Virginia Class stand.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• timztunz
                  timztunz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You’re right Myles, Ohio made specifically for these amps.
              Working...
              X