No announcement yet.

New Audio Frontiers = New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for answering my questions guys.

I looked into SRA yesterday and saw several models, did not guess it was custom though.

Looked up the prices today via a 2006 review, in the price range of amps I'd consider an upgrade from what I'm using.

Looks like I will be sticking with the butcher block and aluminum I-beams I DIY'd for quite a while.

Comment

Does anyone have sufficient experience with the various NAF amps to have a handle on how each sounds, especially into high efficiency horns (>100db). Thanks.

Comment

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        The NAF 2a3 might be a suitable candidate but it is parallel 2a3 with very good drive, though if your horn woofers are easy to move you could get by with some other single ended 2a3, but then you would lose wattage.. The NAF 2a3 is my favorite amp on Devore orangutans but while more nuanced and faster than the other amps tried (silvercore 833c, jadis 100w integrated, Riviera 50w hybrid, and a German 520 valve amp, also airtight el34, mastersound 845), it is not as fast as a 6w audio note neiro 2a3, but the latter cannot drive most stuff

Thank you for the response Bonzo. I should have provided more details regarding the speakers. I'm looking for a SET that only needs to drive a 3 way horn from 90Hz up, because the lower frequencies are handled by folded baffle cabinets with 18" drivers in each driven by a class D amp. I currently have Type 50 tube monos that put out maybe 2 watts and have tried bespoke GM70 SETs that are good for 8 watts. Both have no trouble driving the 3 way horns, but not sure I'm looking for another low watt SET. Do the NAF 845 or 211 trade off a lot of sound quality over the 2a3 for the extra watts? I think I'd like an amp with extra headroom, as I do I have the Type 50s..

Comment

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't done any listening with their 845 or 211. Silvercore 833c at 20w from Germany gives a lot of grunt and drive and is a nice amp though not as nuanced as good lower watt amps, but more nuanced than the Kronzilla (45w) which is quite good for if you need even more power. If you order silvercore directly from him you will get it at 7 to 10k euro. Since you are in the US why don't you try that Canadian 211 that Kcin is always on about from Wytech Labs? Is your Type 50 from Slagle, with the nickel?

Thanks Bonzo. My Type 50 was built by Jeffrey Jackson/Experience Music, but it does use transformers wound but Slagle. These are a bit different than the Emia Type 50. They sound wonderful. I also have a SIT-3 as a backup, which is surprisingly good.

Comment

Working...
      X