This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampsandsound Zion Monoblocks

Ampsandsound has a new amp. They are not in production yet, but their technician I chat with often directed me to the site. He said these amps have incredibly high bandwidth. They are a true reference amplifier according to him. If they are better than my Casablanca Monoblocks then they should be pretty special.

https://ampsandsound.com/products/zions-monos
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

The website says the Zion is sold out. I've heard some of their gear at a West coast shows and I can relate to their design sensibilities. The point to point wiring with internals that look a lot like Quicksilver, over spec'd everything, output transformers with twice the output rating needed and beefier 2 ohm resistors where lower values work fine, etc.
    Simon Yorke S10 | Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Muse Model Two | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Valvet E2 | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

• Kingrex
      Kingrex commented
      Editing a comment
      Sold out should really say not available yet. I believe. I had not heard it was a limited production run. Im waiting for Justin to call me back. His tech told me it was a recent new addition.

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      the description says its based on an HK Citation V, which was a good 30 WPC PP amp, similar to Dynaco ST70 but arguably better sounding. You can still find a clean Citation Vs for under a grand and units needing some work will be half that.

I heard the prototypes at Justin's house. They sounded great, though we didn't really compare them to anything else. Typical of his fine work, especially in terms of driving noise down to exceptionally low levels. One of these days I will get one of his amps.
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
    Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
    Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
    Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
      Ampsandsound has a new amp. They are not in production yet, but their technician I chat with often directed me to the site. He said these amps have incredibly high bandwidth. They are a true reference amplifier according to him. If they are better than my Casablanca Monoblocks then they should be pretty special.

https://ampsandsound.com/products/zions-monos
      looks like a thoughtful layout.... notice the nice blue glow of the tubes in promotional pics
      Last edited by kcin; 01-31-2020, 01:12 PM.
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Kingrex
        Kingrex commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, good cheap shot. I have a set of A01 drivers in my preamp. I know good blue when I see it. FWIW, the new KT77 are all a pretty orange.

Bump

Has anyone listened to these Zions? I think they could be great on my Avantgarde. Noise level seems low.

Any other recommendations in the Ampsandsound lineup for a quiet and sweet amp?

Joe
      Joe
      Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Comment

Originally posted by joeinid View Post
        Bump

Has anyone listened to these Zions? I think they could be great on my Avantgarde. Noise level seems low.

Any other recommendations in the Ampsandsound lineup for a quiet and sweet amp?

Joe
        My Ampsandsound casablanca were very noisy. For years I blamed my power. It was the amps. They have a 120 cycle hum I can't get rid of. They failed twice on me and needed repairs. The second time I had a local tech replace a bios reaistor. I told Justin the owner of my issues and his response was to write back and said he would never service the amps again. The owner is not someone you want to deal with and the amps are junk. I would never do business with them. Stay away.
        PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

So sorry to read this. Thank you so much for your thoughts.
          Joe
          Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Comment

The whammerdyne are 114db down on noise. 4.5 watts. They show with PAP. Tonally are the best of the best. But, they don't have as much ease as a more high power amp.

There is a pair of Decware amps on Audiocircle. They have been bridged for 6 watts. Entry level. Good reputation. Maybe get them for $1k.

How are your First Watt. You just feeling around. Wanting a tube for fun.

Comment

If you want a real amp. Like, a real tube amp. Call Scott with Found Music. I can get you his number. He has a copper based Blade amp. EL34. 22 watt. Jazdoc has the silver. One of the best amps I ever heard. They don't come better. I just don't have the $ for it.

Comment

Rex has an axe to grid with me and as such you should judge his comments carefully.
                Rex attempted to correspond with me at all hours vis text and was directed to use [email protected].
                Specifically he was told to send the amps in and they would be repaired under warranty.
                Rex chose to have an outside technician bench and repair the amps. Once modified or repaired by a non authorized technician, no further warranty could be honored.

Bias supply caps can go bad in any amp. Ive only seen it happen twice in a Casablanca.

Re Rex's amps, they were built/benched received quiet. I think Rex had noise issues and sent back after a year. Nothing was found wrong with the amp and I paid the bench time to my staff. Rex has had noise issues with previous amps, as this was his cited reason for looking for a new amp to replace his modified Altec tube amps.
                I am sorry I could not please this customer but it was not for lack of trying. He was give an RMA and he chose to not use it.

Re the Zions, they are available and amazing amps. Russ, and Steve have heard them in person on my personal system and Gary Baker of headphone.guru has a pending review.
                They are built in a manner that just isn't done anymore, true turret construction.

At this point, Rex's agenda is clear. I will ask Myles or any other Moderator to lock this thread and address appropriate use.
                ampsandsound is not perfect, but if you search justinsweber or ampsandounnd or other forums, you will see that this report is an outlier.
                I own ampsandsound as a passion project. It does not support me or my family at all. It does allow me and my team to build amps we our proud of and try to sell at reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                X