McCormack DNA .5 Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCormack DNA .5 Amplifier

Just upgraded to a Rogue Audio RP1 preamp. Sounds great. I keep looking at new amps in the 2k price range. Seems like a hard price point! I keep going back to my fave amp from the past. The DNA .5 which I have found some on Audiomart. The amp without new upgrades is about 800.00. With Hca upgrades from Steve McCormack prices range from 1100.00 to 1600.00. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a new amp in the 2k range or your thoughts or experiences with the DNA .5. I'm running Tekton Lores in my system and I have a pair of Sound Dynamics 300ti's that I switch in every once in awhile.This is only my second post here. I quess I get a little intimidated on some of the system prices. But it's fine. I really like hearing all of your insight and opinions.

Hi Kirby, no need to be intimidated. We have a diverse group of members here that are willing to share their experiences.

Are you in the market for a solid-state or tube amplifier? What type of music do you listen to?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Lores are a great speaker in that actual power rating is irrelevant with them. I'll post some more thoughts in a little bit. Just this past week I've driven mine with a Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, a Jolida JD1000P, and Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S and a Music Hall a15.3 integrated.

What are you looking for though, tube, SS, don't care?

And I have a pair of 300ti in the next room!
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      --------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

A friend is powering his Impact Monitors with a new Prima Luna Evo100 (EL34, $1999) and loves it.
        Steve Lefkowicz

Comment

to pick and pair and amp we will need to know your speakers. This is the part that is more art and experience and less science, though the DNA .5 is an excellent amp (I owned one for quite a while). More power might help with dynamics, depending on the speaker, but you could also lose the delicacy that the DNA .5 is capable of.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
            Steve Lefkowicz commented
            Editing a comment
            He said he has Tekton Lores. I have had a set of those for seven years too. He also has sound dynamics 300ti. I've had a set of those since 1997.

I would prefer an SS amp. My musical tastes are eclectic. From Pink Martini to Lucinda Williams, Stan Getz, Tom Waits, Gillian Welch, 70's stuff like the Fifth Dimension and some Pop. I tend to drift towards acoustic unplugged music. I have a couple Martin Guitars so I love things like Nitty Gritty DB(will the circle be unbroken) album sounds incredible to me.So I guess I can be called a real eclectic. I'm 80% vinyl and 20% cd. So with my Rogue Audio hybrid pre and my highly efficient Tekton Lored I'm looking the right amp that fits. Thanks for the 3 of you responding !

Comment

Steve, I checked out the Prima Luna amp. Pretty incredible. It seems to take out some of the fussyness of tube amps. I also read some reviews on the Burson Timekeeper , Job 225 and First Watt. The Cambridge Audio Amps have great reviews but seem to have reliability issues Have a great weekend.

Comment

Kirby, I thought you would be better served with an integrated amplifier.

That said perhaps some of the offerings from Bel Canto, Parasound or Bryston might be worth considering. Even something like older Krell amps can be found on audiomart.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
              -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
              -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
              -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles, yes I thought so I checked out the Prima Luna amp that Steve mentioned. It takes away some of the worries I have about Tube Amps. It has auto biasing an indicator telling you which tube is out when that happens and it's built like a tank. I've always had tube pre-amps, usually Audible Illusions and now the Rogue Rp-1. I guess I've always been a little tentative about tube amps. I will thoroughly check out your recommendations . We are having a cold snap here in Tampa Bay. It got down to 40 last night.

Comment

Although I am agnostic in terms of the tube-solid state divide, I tend towards solid state in the price range you mention simply because more quality watts are available from solid state than tube. With a large, efficient, full range speaker (Tekton Pendagon) I've found a more powerful amplifier has the current reserves to better control the bottom end even at low listening levels. I've gravitated to Rotel amplifiers although I would have no problem with going to Parasound either. Either offers what I want which is an affordable price point, quality construction, reliability, good sound and sufficient power. Those are things to be appreciated when having a limited budget means living with a component for five or ten years.

Comment

If you can push $3000, prefer solid-state and plan on sticking with Tektons or other high efficiency speakers, definitely check out the First Watt amps.
                    Steve Lefkowicz

Comment

Steve I really like the Prima Luna 100 you mentioned. It would be my first Tube Amp and takes some of my concerns away . It has auto biasing and tells you which tube is out when that happens . It is built better than a tank. I'd be running it with my hybrid RP-1. First Watt seems great also. I wish they were still making the Job 225. Thanks for all the advice. Oh I got my Sound Dynamics300ti's in the 90's from Audio Advisor for 240.00. The owner that had just bought them returned them because he said the mid range drivers were'nt working. As you know the midrange doesn't do much on the 300ti's. Anyway, they were brand new.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                        Steve Lefkowicz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lots of people complained that their 300ti midrange didn't do anything. All they had to do was sit back and listen to hear that it was likely working just fine. BTW, those 300ti speakers respond really well to moderately powered tube amps too.

Well I've done my research and I've decided on either the new Prima Luna 100 or the First Watt F7 I think both will work well with my hybrid Rogue RP1 pre and my Tektons. The reviewers rave about the F7. The Prima Lunas don't have a lot reviews, I guess the new model has'nt been out that long.

Comment

Originally posted by kirbyhart57 View Post
                        Well I've done my research and I've decided on either the new Prima Luna 100 or the First Watt F7 I think both will work well with my hybrid Rogue RP1 pre and my Tektons. The reviewers rave about the F7. The Prima Lunas don't have a lot reviews, I guess the new model has'nt been out that long.
                        IMHO, research involves actually hearing the device in you own system, Primaluna and First Watt are like chalk and cheese (i have experience with both).
                        Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Valvet | Wadia | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a

Comment

You are somewhat totally right! I'm going to Sarasota next week to hear the First Watt. Sarasota is a little over an hour from Tampa Bay. I'm taking my Rogue pre with me But I will say I've had exceptional I guess luck buying some pieces without hearing. Products like my Rogue RP-1, Teckton Lore, Vandys,and others. They all have money back guaranties usually with 30 days, I'd rather listen in my own space rather than a dealers souped up room. But yes, for convenience, I'd rather listen to everything I want within a 30 minute drive.. So Rob,any thoughts on those two products or something that you can't live without and would sell your children before parting with it

Comment

Working...
                          X