I was enjoying a SS amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was enjoying a SS amp

I have been a tube fan for a long time. I started with Rega SS, then bought a Rogue and loved the tube sound. Stuck with it up till now.

last week I sent my tube amps to be repaired. In the interim I put a $149 Allo Volt+d into my system. Damb if I was not really enjoying it. I think it boils down to the quiet. Not so much the rise out of no where black background. Or the tonal quality. Although the bass is nice. It's more the lack of agitation from the constant buzzing. Yea I hear some guys can't hear a thing from their high efficiency speaker tube amp combos. And to be fair, I have friends plagued by noise in their SS systems. My Rega was louder than my current tube amps.

Really the point is that its darn nice to have a quiet stereo. I'm tired of the buzzing agitation.

No the repair did nothing for the noise. I was addressing a bios issue.

Al suggested a mod to the amps that could possibly shut the noise down, but there is no room to install the neccessary components.

So for now I buzz away my days. Maybe I will try another SS amp one day. But like I said, some SS amps make a big ruckus here. Then others like this little Allo are just so quiet.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

did my whole tube <-> solid state thing a few years ago. at a fairly high level. and at the end of the day, i decided i did not want to listen through and around noise and coloration, and when the system really got cranking the tubes became more non musical.

many things the tubes did were lovely, and no doubt i liked them for those things, and still miss it some. but not as much as a appreciate not hearing the other stuff.
    https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

• Kingrex
      Kingrex commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike. Thinking of trying a T+A Amp 8. In my price range.

Are the older DartZ 108 good. They have so many upgrades now that skyrocket the price.

• Mike Lavigne
      Mike Lavigne commented
      Editing a comment
      older 108's are on my very short list of favorite amplifiers of any type.

really there are two levels. the standard 108, and the SNCP upgrade (from 2010). then yes, you can get series 2 which is new now for the last 2 years.

• Mike Lavigne
      Mike Lavigne commented
      Editing a comment
      honestly i have not really listened seriously to many solid state amps for awhile, so that T+A Amp 8 might be great. don't want to dismiss it. OTOH the 108 is just so musical and right sounding.

The hum could be the input tubes on your tube amps. Some amps circuit design, etc. don't like if your small signal tubes are microphonic.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I'm hoping Environmetal Potentials has time to analyze my house while out here in a couple weeks from now. They will be at a friends house and manufacturing plant. There schedule has a free day. They should be able to put to rest any questions pertaining to my power. If its not my power, its the amp or speaker or reaction to each other.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Here is how loud the buzz is from my amps. My wire and I were starting a tv show this evening. The tube was on for about 10 minutes. I walked over and flipped off the first amp. My wire said thank god. That noise is so annoying.

Comment

Working...
      X