Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st topic here! Distortion and global feedback

Hi!
    I'm in the final build phase of a quite unique amplifier design. My own discrete jfet/mosfet design. It is to some extent inspirered from Nelson Pass, but also from some other giants in the industry. But, I have made it in my way, so no copies.

One thing that I find quite hard ot understand is the effects of global negative feedback in terms of harmonic distortion and especially intermodulation distortion that may be created by the feedback itself. Of course negative feedback reduce THD, output stage impedance etc. To make a good feedback loop I think one should start with a really good open loop performance and just use negative feedback to improve linearity and reduce distortion a bit. And not too much. My experience is that some global negative feedback can be good if the forward path is fast and perform well to begin with. In my current design I have only 6dB feedback and 0.3% THD at 100W/8ohm (spice). I have worked quite hard to increase the speed of the three stages and now I have a total lag of <200ns. I think this is an important figure for being able to have a good design using negative feedback. To lower the output impedance of the amplifier I use a little (adjustable) positive current feedback. I have an adjustable H2-harmonic function for getting a what I think a good distribution of harmonics across the spectrum.

But, what about intermodulation distortion assuming some global negative feedback? It seems like with music as sound source, negative feedback may create complex intermodulation components a some level are spread over the spectrum. Would be very interesting to discuss thoughts and ideas within this area.
Working...
X