So my acquaintence who was getting back into vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my acquaintence who was getting back into vinyl

was perusing the local used record store and found a pristine Mac 240 sitting there on consignment from an estate for a screamin' good deal..... It still works fine but will be gone over by a retired McIntosh guy to replace certain failure prone caps etc.

He feels the 240 will be a good match to his modified Klipsch speakers. Can't argue with that. Some might say the result will be a colored sound but I doubt many could say it wouldn't be musical.

I think it will complement his Klipsch's well. Classic tube sound.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

The system will be so much better than using some crappy receiver with a pair of 1990s Standmounts.....and who knows maybe he will get his hands on a different pair of speakers sometime....

Comment

What is the Mac 240? A 120 WPC tube power amp? Integrated?
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• cpp
          cpp commented
          Editing a comment
          A nice 40watt tube stereo amp. And it can be used mono if ya have another.

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          cool

The system will be so much better than using some crappy receiver with a pair of 1990s Standmounts.....and who knows maybe he will get his hands on a different pair of speakers sometime....
        He's not into little standmounts, that's why he's had the Klipsch's forever. And you would have a very difficult time talking him out of them. The vintage 240 should be a synergistic match.

Comment

Had a pair of Klipsch Heresy II Signature Edition speakers for about 5 years. They were awesome! You could throw anything at them. The most fun speaker I've ever owned.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Had a pair of Klipsch Heresy II Signature Edition speakers for about 5 years. They were awesome! You could throw anything at them. The most fun speaker I've ever owned.
            So what were you looking for sonically that you gave up the Heresy's for? Can't imagine it was greater dynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post

So what were you looking for sonically that you gave up the Heresy's for? Can't imagine it was greater dynamics.
              I unfortunately went through a very, very rough patch in my life that lasted for some time. Other than my LP collection, which I was able to store elsewhere, I lost everything I had.
              Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Johnny - I understand completely. At one time I was in the same boat, which sank. Managed to save a very few items. To paraphrase, "home is where you're parked".

Comment

A little update on the McIntosh 240 and Klipsch speakers. It turns out to be a very synergistic match. The harshness in the upper midrange is gone, and unexpectedly the bass has been helped out too. It sounds much better than the previous more powerful solid state amplifier.

So I started thinking about PWK. I don't think too many people realize the amount of research and development he performed. Built his own anechoic chamber, tested virtually every remotely suitable driver extant, built and tested dozens of designs. Like every other good speaker designer before and since he voiced his designs and here is the rub which also applies to most vintage/retro speakers. They were voiced with the amplification available in the day, Fisher and McIntosh. There were no transistor amplifiers at the time.

In effect, if you are going to listen to Klipsch horn loaded speakers or similar vintage speakers, you probably want a vintage electronics chain to go with it.

Comment

I use what use to be Klipsch Khorns, the only thing still Klipsch is the cabinets and 15" woofers!!! Everything else has been seriously upgraded!!! Small example, custom made xovers using the best parts money can buy. 2" Tractrix flare wooden horns and 2" BMS drivers, with Fostex tweeters on top. Oh and a 45 type tube amp 2 wpc max...

Comment

JC - I see you are part of the Klipsch aftermarket/mod club. My acquaintance is researching crossover improvements, different drivers and the rest of the usual suspects including building his own horns. He quite skilled at woodwork. But let's just say he doesn't feel the urge towards rapid action. His more immediate to do list includes a preamplifier and/or a phono preamp.

In the meantime I'm going to send him some spare interconnects to try out.

Comment

Rust, As for the xovers other than having some custom built the ALK's are hands down the best bang for the buck and probably the best out there period. I did all the research way back when and I ended up with what I still have today, no need to go further. Things will only change not get better if you know what I mean?

Comment

JC - ALKs? I'm not really up on the various Klipsch mods and terminology. I suppose my acquaintance is, he's a little OCD but then what enthusiast isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
                            JC - ALKs? I'm not really up on the various Klipsch mods and terminology. I suppose my acquaintance is, he's a little OCD but then what enthusiast isn't.
                            ALK = AL Klappenburger his xovers designed for Klipsch are probably the best other than something custom, as a matter of fact my xovers are molded after his Universal xover as he calls it just using much better parts...

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                              Johnny Vinyl commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Never heard of ALK, but don't most use the Bob Crites upgrades?
                          Working...
                          X