Class D (Switching) Amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Only at shows and my reaction has run from awful to lukewarm to interesting. But the Class D amps all seem to have the same characteristics. Flat, kind of unfocussed and loss of information.
    My finding so far is the same.
    Hugh Nguyen
    ACA

Comment

Originally posted by sauerball View Post
      There she is peeking out from behind the Q5. Sharing a Manhattan living room with my family, needed something compact yet up to the task. I auditioned the Q5 with a Constellation Centaur stereo, which I thought worked well but wasn't quite as dynamic or resolved. The Kaluga, much like the Q5, is resolved and uncolored - you hear what's in the recording. Not for everyone's taste, to be sure, but works very well for me.

I really don't want to get on an amplifier merry-go-round. Perhaps there's something better, but I'm trying, for once, to be content with something that works quite well.

Come listen if you'd like!
      Constellation amp is pretty good.
      Hugh Nguyen
      ACA

Comment

I heard the Kaluga monos with the Makua line/phono stage, on our YGs and Evolutions. While they *do* have traits of the Class D sound, they're considerably less offensive than Class Ds of years past.

The better deal of the two was the Makua preamp. You can get the preamp+phonostage+DAC for roughly $20k, and the cool thing is that *all* the 6 inputs can be used for phono!

Now, if you want something impressive, check out the Kii Three speakers, from the same developer/manufacturer...

Disclosure:
        Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
        Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
        [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

• nc42acc
          nc42acc commented
          Editing a comment
          Alex great meeting you at Newport. What are the traits of Class D amps?

Originally posted by Alex Siufy View Post
        I heard the Kaluga monos with the Makua line/phono stage, on our YGs and Evolutions. While they *do* have traits of the Class D sound, they're considerably less offensive than Class Ds of years past.

The better deal of the two was the Makua preamp. You can get the preamp+phonostage+DAC for roughly $20k, and the cool thing is that *all* the 6 inputs can be used for phono!

Now, if you want something impressive, check out the Kii Three speakers, from the same developer/manufacturer...
        Do you mean it has 6 effective internal phono stages or it has 6 line stages for external phono stages?
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

Do you mean it has 6 effective internal phono stages or it has 6 line stages for external phono stages?
          http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...vTuJBEQYq76.97

Only problem was the volume control squeaked everytime the remote was used at Axpona.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

One question I have is do Class D amplifiers have difficulty driving difficult loads eg. Mike's Thiel 7.2s.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• mkuller
              mkuller commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not found many solid state amps that do not sound bright on my Thiels. The Pass X-350 was one exception. And I think the Maggies are a fairly difficult load but the Gilmore Raptors drove them ok. Again amp - speaker matching is really important.

No, it has one phono stage, and 6 inputs, and you can route any one of the 6 inputs to the internal phono stage. You can also have "virtual" inputs, so you can have a virtual input set for each one of your cartridges, with their optimal settings. That way, you can switch inputs, but the turntable is still connected to the same physical jack in the back, and only the settings change.

Pretty neat, if you ask me
            Disclosure:
            Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
            Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
            [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...vTuJBEQYq76.97

Only problem was the volume control squeaked everytime the remote was used at Axpona.
              Ah, I see, it has one very good phono stage with six phono inputs to that stage.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

This seems to be a good spot for Myles' impressions of the Merrill Veritas. (Subtle, ain't I?)

Comment

It has its own thread already right?

Comment

I have a NuPrime ST-10, upgraded by TDSS in Valparaiso, and especially for what I paid, I'm very happy. Running Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers. I honestly don't get "dry" out of these but I also wouldn't necessarily say they are warm by any means either. It strikes me as neutral, revealing, and quiet, from a noise floor perspective. Being that I listen to a lot of music with copious amounts of "drive" in it - wailing guitars, quick tempo drumming - the ST-10 has been a workhorse for me. That said? I am contemplating a move to a McCormack amp if/when I can find a decent deal on an already upgraded one. I actually worry that a McCormack might be a little too "smooth" for the music I listen to (hard rock, metal, prog) most. I want a little edge, a little bit of a visceral feel if that makes sense. The only other amp I have to compare to is an Odysssey Stratos, upgraded by Klaus. It's close, but for me the upgraded ST-10 is my preference. As for soundstaging, my room is small so I can only expect so much but I get a wide image and enough depth to keep me happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X