845 Tube Amp - What's your fave?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheNoose View Post
    Has anyone noticed how long it takes to get tube gear repaired?
    Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with a cj product in 15 years. Other than a cat barfing in the phono section un-noticed. That wasn't their fault when it blew up.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

My CJ TUBE gear is so simple, I can modify and repair it myself.
      Last edited by JCOConnell; 08-07-2016, 02:17 AM.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Many pieces of tube gear are easy to repair. One issue with solid-state is some of the parts are no longer made and then what do you do? Not a whole lot under the hood of a tube amplifier.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Many pieces of tube gear are easy to repair. One issue with solid-state is some of the parts are no longer made and then what do you do? Not a whole lot under the hood of a tube amplifier.
          The circuitry is more complex and harder to troubleshoot in SS amps vs tube amps
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

In the case of obsolete SS parts, I can design new circuits with available parts to replace the old obsolete sections.

Comment

Do we really need gold plated tube amps? I know I know, shuddup and listen. And when one recent DAC maker did it they discovered hi yo it's really better, you can buy that now too.

This rave comes courtesy of a new brand I've seen for the first time today: http://www.dalbyaudiodesign.co.uk/pr...amplifier.html
              John M. Read PhD CPsychol; Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz AV8002A SE, Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Emotiva XPR2 SE, Time Portal cables, Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformers, PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs; All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA. Ming Da MC84-CⅡ, Big Ego DAC Emotiva, USB Cables Curious Australia SE, Zorloo DAC.

Comment

Viva Aurora Monoblocs

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                  Steve Lefkowicz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not just great sounding, but gorgeous to look at, too!

Best I have heard are not really commercially available as they are older vintage amps that were heavily modified. Next are Komuro monoblocs that are built to order. Thomas Mayer also makes some pretty good ones but I have only heard them once. Most experience would be with Viva which are pretty good. Have only a brief audition with the Line magnetics but they win on bang for the buck.
                Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocs and LR phono, OMA Parallax integrated, Emia remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm, Miyajima Kansui, Premium BE, Denon 103, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB.

Comment

You have several choices based on your budget. Two Chinese made integrated offer good value, starting with the Music Angel 845 at about $900 delivered, but I would take the next step and go for the Shuguang 845 at about $1,800 delivered because of it's great tube compliment, which is a pair of 6SN7's, driving a pair of 300B's (yes, it uses them as drivers), driving a pair of 845's. The US made Cary Audio is next at about $8,000. The Viva, which has a nearly perfect tube compliment is the ultimate, but it will set you back $45,000 for it's mono-block power amp. The two Chinese made amps are inexpensive enough to allow for many upgrades. The Shuguang 845 is a best buy, but NOS 6SN7's or 6J5-GT's are a must along with decent 300B's and decent 845's. Rolling the coupling caps, should be the first upgrade you should consider after upgrading the stock tubes.

Comment

• TheNoose
                    TheNoose commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks I'll research that Shugang.

Another amplifier that impressed me at RMAF a couple of years ago were the Melody Audio 845 amps from Australia. Only heard the big 150 wpc version but it sounded very smooth, liquid with everything you would like about tube sound.
                  That was what I was going to suggest too. Especially since the importer for the US is a member here.
                  Steve Lefkowicz
                  Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

the 211 is in the same family as the 845. I had airtight ATM211 monos (loaner) driving Harbeths and it was excellent. with a high-ish output impedance they're finicky about what load they're connected to, my buddy runs Tannoy Churchills off the ATM211 w/ excellent results.

Comment

• TheNoose
                      TheNoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've heard some express their preference for 211's. I have not personally heard these yet.

• Dr.Ears
                      Dr.Ears commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The NOS RCA 211 black plates and the United Electronics 211, both circa 1940's are my favorite 211's. The NOS GE gray plates are a distance third. The Shuguang Psvane Western Electric Replica 211 are the best of the current production 211's.

Originally posted by Dr.Ears View Post
                    You have several choices based on your budget. Two Chinese made integrated offer good value, starting with the Music Angel 845 at about $900 delivered, but I would take the next step and go for the Shuguang 845 at about $1,800 delivered because of it's great tube compliment, which is a pair of 6SN7's, driving a pair of 300B's (yes, it uses them as drivers), driving a pair of 845's. The US made Cary Audio is next at about $8,000. The Viva, which has a nearly perfect tube compliment is the ultimate, but it will set you back $45,000 for it's mono-block power amp. The two Chinese made amps are inexpensive enough to allow for many upgrades. The Shuguang 845 is a best buy, but NOS 6SN7's or 6J5-GT's are a must along with decent 300B's and decent 845's. Rolling the coupling caps, should be the first upgrade you should consider after upgrading the stock tubes.
                    Looks interesting...

Attached Files
                    John M. Read PhD CPsychol; Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz AV8002A SE, Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Emotiva XPR2 SE, Time Portal cables, Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformers, PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs; All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA. Ming Da MC84-CⅡ, Big Ego DAC Emotiva, USB Cables Curious Australia SE, Zorloo DAC.

Comment

• Dr.Ears
                      Dr.Ears commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WARNING - That is the wrong Shuguang 845 amp pictured. Note the metal input tubes, the better version calls for 6SN7's, which I swap out for 6J5-GT's or 6J5-G's, each of which equals one half of a 6SN7 & there are ready made adapters available on eBay, which convert a pair of 6J5's to a single 6SN7. You will need a pair of adapters and a quad of 6J5's.

Thanks Dr Ears. Is this the correct amp just with the wrong tubes or is this the wrong amp entirely? Are their different models with different model numbers?

Comment

Dr Ears is the right one? http://www.leisure-audio.com/Perfect...ries-p150.html
                      Perfect sound 300B-845 amplifier Kit Hi-fi series'

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        the 211 is in the same family as the 845. I had airtight ATM211 monos (loaner) driving Harbeths and it was excellent. with a high-ish output impedance they're finicky about what load they're connected to, my buddy runs Tannoy Churchills off the ATM211 w/ excellent results.
                        One of the best 211's IMO is the Wyetech. Made in Canada . I have the Topaz 211C. About 130lbs or so all power supply. It pretty well has handled most speakers aplomb. Recently, the mfr, has moved to mono block only construction and more than doubled the price unfortunately about $35K.

If used is in realm of thought for the original poster and 211 makes sense... ( you should really hear a 845 and 211) the Wyetech may be your last stop. I love mine. On the used market the original stereo Topaz might be a bargain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wyetech.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	53289

Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                        Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
                        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
                        Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

• Rob
                          Rob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ive heard the Wytech line preamps and it was part of a system that ranks among the best Ive heard. I'd love to hear this amp.

• kcin
                          kcin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Roger at Wyetech makes no nonsense type of products. He has his point of view- mostly correct- with not a lot of buy in for the typical industry shenanigans. His take on architecture of a product stems from a industrial engineering point of view with robust chassis real plug in timer relays and not much bling etc.. Totally worth seeking out a listen. Probably, a little difficult to find in the US unfortunately.
                          Last edited by kcin; 05-06-2017, 09:37 PM.
                      Working...
                      X