Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nagra HD amp ... I know it's pricey...but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagra HD amp ... I know it's pricey...but....

Wow. Demo'ing these amps this weekend (also have the classic pre amp but haven't connected it yet). My dealer out on vacation and...lucky me. These are killer good amps. Step change from my Nagra Classic amp (which is very special btw). The Nagra HD amps are still warming up and I want to give them at least 24 hours playing time before I pontificate. ~125 lbs each. (ouch my back). + no isolation...just sitting on a few books to get em off the carpet.

Smokes. They are good. Beautiful. Dynamic. Resolute. Draws u in ...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus speaker and interconnects
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Really nice John!

Comment

Sweet !
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Well these are impressive. The kind of thing you forget about comparing or what other choices maybe out there. You just love em. Powerful, delicate, effortless, attack...they convey the music in a different way that I've experienced in my home before. Listening to Sibelius Piano Trio. Yarlung label. In DXD right now. The energy, resolution, attack, decay, timbre, how they are unravel the notes but in a completely relaxed, effortless way. It sounds like a violin in real life. It bites. It’s delicate. It’s loud. It’s quiet. It plays along with the piano in it's own space...
        Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU

Comment

John-It sounds like it's time to get out the check book. Congrats.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Many thanks for the great updates. May I ask if you are using your Opus power cords with them? Also, how would you describe the soundstage perspective you are getting right now i.e. front/mid hall? Do you think they have any SET type characteristics? Your comments suggest that they have a very vibrant, energetic type sound while also being delicate when required. Looking forward to further updates. If you get a chance to post a video then that would be awesome even just shot with your phone. No worries if not possible or to much hassle. Your feedback has been very valuable. I believe Dave Wilson had these in his room with WAMM and was impressed. Cheers.

Comment

the rest of your system is certainly good enough to evaluate the amps. How do they sound with vinyl?
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by ashandger View Post
                Many thanks for the great updates. May I ask if you are using your Opus power cords with them? Also, how would you describe the soundstage perspective you are getting right now i.e. front/mid hall? Do you think they have any SET type characteristics? Your comments suggest that they have a very vibrant, energetic type sound while also being delicate when required. Looking forward to further updates. If you get a chance to post a video then that would be awesome even just shot with your phone. No worries if not possible or to much hassle. Your feedback has been very valuable. I believe Dave Wilson had these in his room with WAMM and was impressed. Cheers.
                Yes, my dealer had 2 Opus C19 (20 amp) power cords. So in essence the only that changed in my system from my Classic amp are the HD amps and the lack of a amp stand (which does make a diff)

Interesting you ask...the soundstage varys depending on the recording. Sometime I feel like I am front row sometimes mid hall. Seems to be recording dependent...where as before I felt the image was always slightly behind the plane of the speakers and I was always a few rows back mostly. To me, these are great at the extremes, the control, textures in the bass and the extension in the highs. But the mids live, breath, with a 3d height, width, depth that is startling. These amps are 30 watts pure class A then AB...from the meters, seems like I rarely use more than 10-15 watts. So I must be in class A 99% of the time.

I'll try to post a video later today/tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                  the rest of your system is certainly good enough to evaluate the amps. How do they sound with vinyl?
                  First off, thanks ! My vinyl has never sounded so good. Listening to Stanley Turrentine and the 3 sounds right now. Music matters 33rpm release. Stunning.
                  Last edited by jfrech; 01-29-2017, 09:33 AM. Reason: added a compliment

Comment

Such fantastic system deserves the best... Your dealer is a clever guy.

Comment

Originally posted by jfrech View Post

Yes, my dealer had 2 Opus C19 (20 amp) power cords. So in essence the only that changed in my system from my Classic amp are the HD amps and the lack of a amp stand (which does make a diff)

Interesting you ask...the soundstage varys depending on the recording. Sometime I feel like I am front row sometimes mid hall. Seems to be recording dependent...where as before I felt the image was always slightly behind the plane of the speakers and I was always a few rows back mostly. To me, these are great at the extremes, the control, textures in the bass and the extension in the highs. But the mids live, breath, with a 3d height, width, depth that is startling. These amps are 30 watts pure class A then AB...from the meters, seems like I rarely use more than 10-15 watts. So I must be in class A 99% of the time.

I'll try to post a video later today/tonight...
                      Wonderful, many thanks for your highly informative feedback. Seems like these are very special amps indeed. I think so far you have only used them with your Koda preamp which seems to be matching them well. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Classic pre in the system. Imagine the Koda 15EX preamp with theseMany thanks for offering to post a video.

Comment

Ok, hope the video works. You can see the Classic Preamp on the floor awaiting installation. My dealer sent his Opus Gen 5 interconnects to get tuned for the Classic Pre to HD Amps. My Opus Gen 5 are tuned for the K10 to Ayre MXRs (my former amps)-however Transparent doesn't think they need much change for the HD amps.

I am hoping to get to hear a K15EX soon also...might have to sell the kids and my dogs (teasing...)

Well won't let me post a .m4v file off my iPhone. Suggestions? (or pm me and I'll send to your personal email)

Last edited by jfrech; 01-29-2017, 05:09 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

• ashandger
                          ashandger commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Many thanks. Have sent you an email. Looking forward to the video. The Koda K15 EX is supposed to be a major upgrade over the K15 so likely a huge improvement over K10.
                      Working...
                      X