• Agree or Disagree, These Articles Always Generate Thought and Discussion

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Yes ,
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

These lists are always fun, but more relevant to some of us who experienced them at the time. In the early days of the high end, many of these designs were radical, game changers which influenced all designs which followed. I think it is hard for those new to the high end to appreciate the pioneers of the art. It's like living in the days of the slide rule gives you a real appreciation of computers today.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
      Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Agree or disagree, these types of posts provoke fodder and generate traffic to websites

Its a trip down memory lane and every endeavor I've been involved with does it. If anything, it goes to show no matter how far back in time we go so many things remain the same. Think of all the ink spilled back then debating whether a Threshold or Phase linear was Better than a CJ or ARC amp, tubes vs SS, etc
        TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• cpp
          cpp commented
          Editing a comment
          Bravo

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Crikey - I remember the CJ vs ARC debates, gold vs silver - who will win possession of your audiophile soul.

• Joe Pittman
          Joe Pittman commented
          Editing a comment
          Those were the good old days. These are the good old days.

I think it is difficult to generate "all time" categories. I think that you have to segregate into epochs. Based on the participant lists. I think HP and Olsher are most correct.

Gader and Greene ... some of their entries are laughable .. the Magtech... really...?

You can't argue McIntosh 275, Marantz 8 or 9, ARC D76 or D150, Futterman..etc., these were seminal products along with say the ML ML2

YMMV
        Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Looking over the lists, mine pretty much agrees with HP's. Here's mine:

Phase Linear 400
          Dynaco ST70
          Harmon Kardon Citation 12
          Marantz 8B
          Mac MC275
          ARC D70/D150
          Threshold 400A
          GAS Ampzila
          Levinson ML-2
          CJ Premiere One
          Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

My list would have to include a Western Electric and an Audio Note to be complete.

Comment

The D-76 was my first high end tube amp and I loved it during the time I owned it. I still have a pair of Phase Linear 400 amps sitting on a shelf which sound better than most people realize even today. I also have a pair of Dynaco MK-3 amps that I bought new SS chassis for and need to build them when I get a chance.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I had a few on that list. Dynaco , halfler , krell. I wonder if we had some of them how they would compete with what we each are presently using. Pink Floyd says it best comfortable numb lol. I keep
                bitching about my Aragon's and before these are sold I very much would like to hear them with a modern hi end amp. But in hearing many hi end setups its synergy that I feel rules the roost not just the stuff in the chain.
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
                  I think it is difficult to generate "all time" categories. I think that you have to segregate into epochs. Based on the participant lists. I think HP and Olsher are most correct.

Gader and Greene ... some of their entries are laughable .. the Magtech... really...?

You can't argue McIntosh 275, Marantz 8 or 9, ARC D76 or D150, Futterman..etc., these were seminal products along with say the ML ML2

YMMV
                  I agree with you on the Magtech, Carver SS, NAD, Plinius, Rotel, etc. on many counts. (But TACT Millenium? Gimme a break!) No Hafler or NAD belongs on the list. The amp that belongs on this list that was one of the best low powered amps of the day but the company didn't last was the Amber 70. Kicked at around $500 (IIRC) all the lower priced ss amps of the day. Absolutely embarrassed the Haflers, Adcoms, etc of the day. The Haflers were abysmal; the 500 perhaps being the worst. It was the lamest and most flaccid 500 watts I ever heard. No balls at all. The little Amber 70 kicked it in the ass driving the Maggie 3As.

I think it's interesting to debate which was the most seminal of the early ARC amplifiers. I kinda have a warm spot in my heart for the D250 Mk. II servo as well as the M100 monoblocks. The M100s sounded incredible in the day driving the top end of Infinity RS1bs.

Same goes for cj. Yes, I'd put the Premier One on the list. It put cj on the map (yes I realize their preamp was the first product) being a big, RELIABLE and powerful sounding tube amplifier. But I always thought it was soft in the upper octaves. On the whole, the Premier 5 was the better amplifier. The Premier 4 was good but could run out of power; the 5 never ran out of power and sounded far more refined than its predecessor Premier 1.

Interestingly no one mentioned the lack of Classe or perhaps the early Electrocompaniet amplifiers (designed by Matti Otala and embodying his early theories about TIM distortion in SS amplifiers). The latter amps drive practically any speaker and didn't sound solid-state.

It might also be interesting to know what people thought was the most over rated or disappointing amplifier they ever bought or heard.

Two come to mind for me. The aforementioned Haflers and the Adcom GFA1A amplifier. The Adcom couldn't drive the DQ10s and overheated constantly. Turned out it was a bridged amplifier with a lousy power supply that couldn't drive a 4 ohm load. Gave it to a friend who owned 8 ohm Pioneer speakers. He was in heaven.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The tendency I'm observing is for early amps (ST 70, etc.) I'd opt more for representative of the significant best from a significant company. Therefore I'll nominate the CJ Premier 12 instead of their Premier 1.

Myles I still have two of the three halfhearted Amps in my storage on my property. I did a test to hear them in my setup . They are nice but not in the level of my aragons And they are not ground breaking either. Nice Amps at the time but truly lack speed and tonal balance . I built them so I cannot find the heRt to sell them lol.
                  analog stuff.
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At least the early Aragon amp designs were done by Dan D'Agostino.

That's what I read too.
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Opinions.
                    Dave Clark
                    Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
                    www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

Agreed as I'm am sure they are all good amps but opinions help us pick them.
                      analog stuff.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Clark View Post
                        Opinions.
                        True but fine to share opinions and even learn.

What is interesting how many amplifiers the reviewer's list have in common.

I was just curious to see if others had additions or subtractions because it's hard to have heard everything ever made. I consider myself lucky in being able to have heard so many amplifiers in my audiophile journey.

Comment

Working...
                        X