Kondo Kaguras in Da House and Warming Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob View Post

+1 altho the 5% distortion figure is off putting.
    Of course that's at full power. Then there are the 1 watters too. What's most important is the quality of that first watt.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Myles have you had a chance to listen?
      Marty

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post
        Myles have you had a chance to listen?
        Yes but Bob said give then 24 hours to come up to temperature. They have changed a lot since I turned them on this morning.

Now I don't know if it was the temperature or that is a function of the amplifier. (I haven't investigated the circuit yet either.) Years ago, I found that some some amplifiers, particularly those with inter-stage coupling transformers like the Audionote and VAC Renaissance amps, took four or five hours to sound their best. My cj OTOH, sounds pretty good after 30-45 minutes of playing.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I think listening to the warm up process is very interesting. So not even a comment on your thoughts? What is the efficiency of your Magicos?
          Marty

Comment

I think listening to the warm up process is very interesting. So not even a comment on your thoughts? What is the efficiency of your Magicos?
            They Magicos can be run with amplifiers as low as 50 watts. It's just the speakers aren't the easiest load but I also think that issue has been overstated too. Of course, there are a lot of other factors such as size of the room, type of music, how loud you listen, etc. I'd rather not comment on the Kaguras just yet because they truly haven't settled in yet. But two of those traits of single-ended amplifiers--purity and low level resolution--are in great abundance here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

+1 altho the 5% distortion figure is off putting.

Rob, I heard Bob's full Kondo room a few years back (before we got to know each other) at the NYAS. Met a new audiobuddy there and we stayed in that room for great lengths of time, coming back at least 3 times to hear the system. If there was any distortion, I didn't hear it - just pure blissful music. It was really an amazing system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kondo%20one.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	6402
              Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Yes but Bob said give then 24 hours to come up to temperature. They have changed a lot since I turned them on this morning.

Now I don't know if it was the temperature or that is a function of the amplifier. (I haven't investigated the circuit yet either.) Years ago, I found that some some amplifiers, particularly those with inter-stage coupling transformers like the Audionote and VAC Renaissance amps, took four or five hours to sound their best. My cj OTOH, sounds pretty good after 30-45 minutes of playing.
                Just so there are no misconceptions, what I meant was that after "bouncing" the amps up the FDR drive this morning and the cables not being used recently, things just need to sit for 24 hours so that everything settles. The amps themselves sound 95% after an hour of playing once they have settled in after being moved from location to location.
                RHAPSODY.AUDIO

http://www.rhapsody.audio

Pilium Audio, Magico, Alsyvox, Bayz Audio, Diesis Audio, Kondo, Nordost Supreme Reference Dealer, VYGER, VYDA Cables, Constellation, Taiko Audio - Extreme server, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Raidho, TechDAS, Critical Mass Systems, Aurender, TelluriumQ, CMS/Center Stage, Devialet, REL Acoustics, RD Acoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Rhapsody View Post

Just so there are no misconceptions, what I meant was that after "bouncing" the amps up the FDR drive this morning and the cables not being used recently, things just need to sit for 24 hours so that everything settles. The amps themselves sound 95% after an hour of playing once they have settled in after being moved from location to location.
                  Maybe it's the pothole effect and cables then. I usually find that cables need 24 hrs after being moved around to sound their best. All I know the sound has dramatically improved from the time you left this AM!

Comment

Maybe it's the pothole effect and cables then. I usually find that cables need 24 hrs after being moved around to sound their best. All I know the sound has dramatically improved from the time you left this AM!

Haha....that was why I didn't stay and listen, I know what they sound like once they have settled and are warmed up
                    RHAPSODY.AUDIO

http://www.rhapsody.audio

Pilium Audio, Magico, Alsyvox, Bayz Audio, Diesis Audio, Kondo, Nordost Supreme Reference Dealer, VYGER, VYDA Cables, Constellation, Taiko Audio - Extreme server, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Raidho, TechDAS, Critical Mass Systems, Aurender, TelluriumQ, CMS/Center Stage, Devialet, REL Acoustics, RD Acoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Rhapsody View Post

Haha....that was why I didn't stay and listen, I know what they sound like once they have settled and are warmed up
                      Why am I always the last person to know?

BTW, I forgot how those 211s look like four candles lighting up the room in the dark!

Comment

Well the ART has 16xKT120s. So am used it. The Audia Flight also ran pretty hot and warmed up the room.

Comment

Myles is that a typo? Did you say the CJ ART has 16 - KT120 tubes? Wow!

Well the ART has 16xKT120s. So am used it. The Audia Flight also ran pretty hot and warmed up the room.
                        Marty

Comment

Myles is that a typo? Did you say the CJ ART has 16 - KT120 tubes? Wow!
                          No typo. It's 275 wpc. Cost around $1600 to retube.

Comment

This was my favorite tube display at HK AV last year. Check out the reflection on the exquisite lacquer finish. BTW I have no association with either Kondo or Kaiser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kaiserkondo.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	6449

Comment

So the amps have after 12 hours of playing today, gone from the proverbial ugly duckling to swan. Last 15 ips tape up was the Yarlung release Smoke and Mirrors Vanish and it was a pretty awesome listening to the accapella track Trinidad. Don't be fooled by the amplifier's 50 watt rating or that that a single-ended tube amps can't do low bass. Just everything you have come to expect from a single-ended amplifier and more. Fantastic musical and spatial resolution as well as midrange tonality.

Comment

Working...
                            X