conrad-johnson 40th Anniversary ART300s Monos in the House

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rayooo View Post

Oh yes, it took all of about 10 seconds of listening to notice the quite substantial added weight to the low end with the 300s. A nice improvement right out of the box., I too was thinking just maybe a bit less heat. Well, at this point I'd say the 300's throw every bit as much heat if not a tad more than the Monos did. But what the heck, winter is on the way.
    The ART 300 monos have according to Jeff the biggest power supply cj has ever built. 10x larger in fact for the KT150s and that probably contributes to the bottom end. Yes, was absolutely evident right out of the box.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Very nice looking. And I'll bet they sound great too

Comment

Originally posted by rayooo View Post
        Oh yes, it took all of about 10 seconds of listening to notice the quite substantial added weight to the low end with the 300s. A nice improvement right out of the box., I too was thinking just maybe a bit less heat. Well, at this point I'd say the 300's throw every bit as much heat if not a tad more than the Monos did. But what the heck, winter is on the way.
        Nice to read first impressions especially from ex ART mono users. Looking forward to read more.

And Myles, I have a feeling we'll see 8KT150 tubes/ch cj amp in the future...😉
        Last edited by Marcus; 09-03-2017, 12:46 PM.
        Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

I bought the things. Considering I'd planned to keep the Monos for basically ever, this was a bit of a risk.
          Other than visually where the Monos are a bit prettier to look at, the 300s seem to meet or beat the Monos in all respects. I only have around 10 hours on them, so we'll see where things end up.
          Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -JRMC + Synology NAS

Comment

Congrats on purchase! With so little time on the amps, they should only get better & better.
            CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea2 SE, Linn LP12 Lingo, Zeta Arm, Grado Statement Series 2, Exemplar 105(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V1, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Stillpoints of many flavors, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
              how do they sound fresh out of the box?
              I am loathe to comment on gear out of the box. If there's thing that I've learned over the years, products that sound good out of the box rarely live up to scrutiny. Conversely, many pieces of gear that sound meh out of the box often improve with age. I think that's because ear latches onto the wrong qualities initially. Things that are more primitive and linked to the brain's fight or flight response. Things such as detail.

What I will say. So far the amps are a sizeable improvement over the now seven year old ART monoblocks. First, they have a low end that no tube amp should have. Dynamic, solid, tight and extended.

Next, these amps are effortless. We often talk about tube amps sounding more dynamic than solid-state amps of the same power rating. Well these amps sound more powerful than tube amps of the same rating. 😉

Lastly, these amps are super quiet and resolve low level information like it's going out of style. Whether it is reverb tails or playing a guitar. Just brings a whole 'nuther level of realism.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles,
                I'm sure I could dig around and figure it out, but do you have dirty power and some sort of filter in your system. I ask because I miss the CJ sound and I'm considering getting another CJ amp. The last one I had was a premier 140 updated with Teflon. The issue I had with the amp was the transformers mechanically hummed quite loud in my house due to filthy power in Seattle.

I also found that amp did not give as accurate an example of the instruments as my current amps. They had balls, as in hell uh drive, yet I can tell a musician is playing a Roland amp being driven by a Gibson ES335 with my current amps better than I could with the CJ. The CJ had something that was "just right". But it also missed something.

Anyhow, my big issue was all the mechaniccal noise and gobs of sorbothane and other sound mitigating materials I had to apply to shut them up. Hopefully they have worked to resolve the issue.

Also, I will be in Virginia next week. Any help in getting a tour of the plant would be much appreciated.

Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                  Myles,
                  I'm sure I could dig around and figure it out, but do you have dirty power and some sort of filter in your system. I ask because I miss the CJ sound and I'm considering getting another CJ amp. The last one I had was a premier 140 updated with Teflon. The issue I had with the amp was the transformers mechanically hummed quite loud in my house due to filthy power in Seattle.

I also found that amp did not give as accurate an example of the instruments as my current amps. They had balls, as in hell uh drive, yet I can tell a musician is playing a Roland amp being driven by a Gibson ES335 with my current amps better than I could with the CJ. The CJ had something that was "just right". But it also missed something.

Anyhow, my big issue was all the mechaniccal noise and gobs of sorbothane and other sound mitigating materials I had to apply to shut them up. Hopefully they have worked to resolve the issue.

Also, I will be in Virginia next week. Any help in getting a tour of the plant would be much appreciated.
                  Can't say that had issues with transformer hum here. I run them out of the wall with Furutech receptables and use Kubala-Sosna pcs. Only the front end stuff goes into the PLC.

I guess there's always give and take with amplifiers and other gear. But I can't say that cj was that obscuring. Maybe whatever was causing the hum also had other unintended consequences.

It's been a long time since had my Prem 140 and don't have much recollection about the sound.

Comment

Myles I just read an article that CJ was sold
                    To a the GM of the company I did not know how long they have been around. Very impressive

Comment

If a transformers hums it can be a few causes.
                    Did the amp hum cold or warm or both ?
                    did the amp hum more or less at times while sitting idle ?
                    Did the amp hum of you removed the tubes. This shows it happens under the load for the heater circuit.
                    Dc offset makes power transformers hum but not consistantly nights or days may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                      If a transformers hums it can Anne few causes.
                      Hum, I knew it was Anne's fault! .
                      Last edited by Bodhi; 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM.
                      Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

Over the years I've experienced a few devices with noisy (mechanical) transformers. The worst offenders were Toroidal power transformers which generally speaking are more susceptible to DC offset on the AC power input than laminated transformers. DC blocking circuits can be employed to eliminate this. Some companies e.g. some of the Bryston power amps had DC blocking built into their AMPS using Toroidal xformers. I don't believe CJ ever used Toroids though.
                        I've also ran across standard laminated power transformers in a few cases that were noisy. Sometimes tightening the bolts on the transformer case, or chassis mounting bolts would help. Sometimes not. Fortunately the last few years I've not run into noisy power transformers with any gear. CJ and other.

Comment

• Marcus
                          Marcus commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DC blocking circuits I tried (Burmester and Karan) unfortunately degraded sound quality...

Still using the Viero speaker cable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170911_205959.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	64849

Comment

What do the LP260SE sound like in comparison to the new Arts. They are more in my price range. I know a dealer selling a pair. He said the 260 is just effortless and wonderful to hear. Thanks for any input.
                          Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                            What do the LP260SE sound like in comparison to the new Arts. They are more in my price range. I know a dealer selling a pair. He said the 260 is just effortless and wonderful to hear. Thanks for any input.
                            If you have not already done so, I'd suggest speaking with Jeff at CJ. He'll lay the differences out both technically and sound wise in very clear terms.

It appears the LP260s are similar in architecture to the ART Monos,

Comment

Working...
                            X