X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingrex
    Forum Leader
    • Dec 2016

Conrad Johnson Classic Sound

What does the classic sound really mean when it comes. CJ amps. A used Classic 60SE amp is something in my affordablity range . I had the premier 140 with Teflon Upgrades. I miss the power of that amp. The meat it seemed to push in the bass. When I moved to my modded Altec, I heard more accuracy, but I lost the umpf. I am assuming the new ART amps are more linear and true to the recording, plus power. What about a Classic 60. Am I right back to that PR140 sound. What about the LP line of tube amps with Teflon caps. Is that more old school Classic sound like my Premier or more modern ART sound. Thanks.
    PAP Trio 15 Coax speakers, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Aidas Durawood cartridge, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Torus WM45BAL isolation transformer with Benjamin custom 120 volt single phase panel distributing to branch circuits. Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel such as all copper grounds and neutrals. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air speaker and Interconnect.
  • CJSPU
    • Nov 2017

hi,

Recorded with a iphone ( mp3 file ) from my upgraded CJ PR12 - PR14 - EV1 with Teflon. May not be of great help but...

The clicks you hear at the end of the video are volume remote control sounds...
    SEAS EXCEL DIY Speakers; CJ Premier 12; CJ Premier 14; CJ Premier EV1; Accuphase DP 85; MAC Airbook + Audionirvana plus+ Qobuz + Tidal; Micro Seiki RX 1500; Ikeda IT 407 12" + Ortofon MC A95; Thomas Schick 12" + Ortofon SPU 90th Anniversary; Fidelity Research FR64 FX 10" + Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII; SME M2 12-R + Ortofon MC XPRESSION; Kenwood KD 7010 + Ortofon Jubilee; Revox B710; Revox A77; Revox PR99; Pure Silver DIY Cables; Sennheiser HD800; Sennheiser HDVD 800; Akai AT S-08 Tuner.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      Administrator
      • Jan 2016

Classic “cj sound” to me is warm, grain-free midrange, sounding more powerful than the wpc would indicate and a large 3D soundstage. Perhaps a little soft in the upper octaves. But that’s changed over the years. cj’s new Teflon caps bring to the picture among other things speed, resolution and transparency. A lack of smearing around and between the notes.

Needless to say, designers over the years have improved the extremes and quietness among other factors. Some of the richness of the old heat is in part traceable to my ears to inadeaquate power supplies and inferior parts. Then of course changes to driver stages, etc. To my ears, the latest generation of cj amps are bridging some of that gap between ss and tubes.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 440 and 1000 Nextgen mono amps
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Mutech Hayabusa,
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna, Audience FrontRow; Audience FrontRow, Genesis Advanced Technologies , Goldmund and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.3+ platforms.

Comment

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        Your Art300 mono's & Gat Series 2 are the first CJ amps i've wanted to own. They are just so complete and are able to drive moderately difficult speaker loads with ease. Maybe one day if I can take my eyes of Absolare .
    • MylesBAstor
      Administrator
      • Jan 2016

It also seems that the new Classic amps can be 1) upgraded to KT120s and 2) retrofitted with Teflon caps and higher quality resistors. Sounds like a nice upgrade scheme. Think you might find the EL34 equipped amps sound a little more tubey and perhaps what you are looking for. Perhaps if you like the EL34s, stay with them and add the other upgrades.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 440 and 1000 Nextgen mono amps
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Mutech Hayabusa,
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna, Audience FrontRow; Audience FrontRow, Genesis Advanced Technologies , Goldmund and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.3+ platforms.

Comment

Working...