Jeff Rowland Design Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Rowland Design Group

Any love for the work of the Jeff Rowland Design Group? I have their Continuum S2 integrated and couldn't be happier. Anyone else own Rowland (and why), and if not, why not?

Never owned one but I do like his work. Have heard his amps with Revel Salons, Thiel 3.7s and Joseph Audio.

Comment

Im not a fan of Jeff's class d amps (dull and rolled off). The last few pieces I owned were the Synergy IIi line stage and Cadence phono. I had a Concerto integrated with Class D outputs driving Joseph Audio Pulsars and it wasn't good (with any other amp the Pulsars were outstanding). somewhere along the way I had a Corus line stage, 2-dimensional and lacked life (did I mention boring?). That said, my fondest Rowland memories were the early days, I had Model 3s driving Apogee Duetta Sigs it was wonderful, same goes for a Model 5 and Coherence II preamp.
      How Do You Beat Audiophile Nervosa?

Step Number 1: Upgrade your music collection first. If you do it correctly that should keep you busy in perpetuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritmo View Post
        Never owned one but I do like his work. Have heard his amps with Revel Salons, Thiel 3.7s and Joseph Audio.
        Jeff’s class D amps always sounded good with Joseph Audio. They were always the anti-class D sound too.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          depends which model class d integrated you heard, Rowland used both B&O ice modules and Pascal, chalk and cheese.

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          IIRC the 825 or 925?

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        Im not a fan of Jeff's class d amps (dull and rolled off). The last few pieces I owned were the Synergy IIi line stage and Cadence phono. I had a Concerto integrated with Class D outputs driving Joseph Audio Pulsars and it wasn't good (with any other amp the Pulsars were outstanding). somewhere along the way I had a Corus line stage, 2-dimensional and lacked life (did I mention boring?). That said, my fondest Rowland memories were the early days, I had Model 3s driving Apogee Duetta Sigs it was wonderful, same goes for a Model 5 and Coherence II preamp.
        The 5s were nice in a day of hard sounding solid-state amplifiers. I wasn’t in love with the battery pack.

I had the Model 10s in for review back in 2001 (?). Magazine folded and couldn’t get another mag interested in running the review. I didn’t even want money as just wanted to see credit given for a good (but other things behind the scenes prevented the review from running). The 10s sounded really nice on the Martin-Logan Prodigy’s that I was using at the time. Good sense of space and resolution. But it still had that Jeff trademark: soft upper octaves and dark. Although less so than earlier efforts. And preferable to the transistory sounding amps of the day. Things have changed a lot in just about 20 years.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          You must be thinking of a different amp, the Model 5 was his first Stereo amp and used a linear PS, the BPS amps came later.

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d have to check. Was one of my reviewers who had them probably around 1998.

Over time I have heard excellence with Rowland electronics and once or twice not. Heard his monoblocks, server, and dac with Revel Salons about 6years ago at CES.it was a stunningly good presentation. Heard his all in one amp class D topology in a room at RMAFabout 4 years ago and not so good.
        TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; iFi Phono 2; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; Hovland HP-100; Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones.

Comment

I had a Coherence II preamp for a few years as well as the Cadence phono. While beautifully constructed it was dynamically constricted. This was proven to me by the insertion of a 20 year old Primare 928 preamp. It destroyed the Rowland in every parameter. The Coherence II and Cadence went up on Audiogon a week later and wound up in Taiwan.

i also had a pair of the Model 201monoblocks. They did a good job driving a pair of subs I had. When I played around with them driving the satellites they were unlistenable.
          PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
          www.lasercd.com
          www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, ASR Basis Exclusiv, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Modified Mac Mini with Red Wine Audio Battery Power Supply, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Herr Syntax has talked up he Cadence like it was the next coming...I found it fairly quiet (low noise) as far as high-gain phono stages go but the music was devoid of tonal color.

• lasercd
            lasercd commented
            Editing a comment
            The Cadence was very vanilla in my system. I was using an Allaerts MC1-B cartridge on a Teres Audio 265 table with a Graham B-44 arm. Very un-involving.

I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks. My Continuum S2 is the finest piece of amplification gear I've ever had in house (either owned or reviewed). It mates perfectly with my Magneplanar 1.7i's. It's not cold, not sterile, doesn't exhibit squashed dynamics, not dull (quite the opposite actually) or rolled off. It just makes music.

I think too many people hear "class D" and automatically say, can't compete with real amps. To my ears, class no longer matters. There are good class A amps, bad class A amps, good class A/B amps, bad class A/B amps, good class D amps (like my Rowland) and bad class D amps. CLass doesn't matter. What matters is the sound, judged by what you hear, not what "class" it is.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            I enjoyed the Mola Molas (class d) driving Giyas, I think Myles did too. Ive owned four different class d amps by different mfrs, i'm not a class d hater so much as I dislike Jeff's earlier efforts using this technology. Many people in who's ears I trust like the Daemon which uses the Pascal modules, i have yet to hear them.

• Beaur
            Beaur commented
            Editing a comment
            Most definitely comes down to preference and system matching. I have never owned any Rowland equipment but I remember hearing it back in the 90s and preferring it to Krell, Levinson etc. The fact that he's still in business says that someone out there likes his designs, especially since his products seem to have fallen off the reviewer bus.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            As a person who has heard as much gear, if not more than Roy, I can say categorically state that Class does make a difference. I’ve had them all here. And the only valid comparison is the best of each design against the best of design. Otherwise, we should just use MP3 to review and say everything sounds alike. (Or sample to sample variation swamps out any ability to identify.) Each design is clearly different sounding but if what a Class A, D, solid-state, tube, etc does knocks your socks off, go for it. Each class brings something to the table that will also depend upon the speaker being used.

Certainly D provides power, coolness, and low end. You can read my review of one of the better Class D amps out there (Merrill Audio) on PF. Heat aside the new KT150 based tube amps are going to give SS a run for the money.

Beaur, do a Google search on the Rowland Continuum S2 and read Roy Gregory's review. Roy's a tough nut to crack audiowise, but he fell hard for the Continuum S2, and his review should be required reading for all reviewers everywhere.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried reading the review but Roy’s review is unreadable. I prefer reading about the product than the reviewer talking about themselves. Gave me a headache trying to make sense of the product. Perhaps you can summarize his findings John.

One year at CES (might have been RMAF) I heard a big system with large Hansen speakers driven by all Rowland electronics. It was extraordinary. One of the best systems I've ever heard.

Whatever happened to Hansen?
          PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
          www.lasercd.com
          www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, ASR Basis Exclusiv, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Modified Mac Mini with Red Wine Audio Battery Power Supply, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

Originally posted by JMCIII View Post
          Beaur, do a Google search on the Rowland Continuum S2 and read Roy Gregory's review. Roy's a tough nut to crack audiowise, but he fell hard for the Continuum S2, and his review should be required reading for all reviewers everywhere.
          And why is that?
          SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

And why is that?
            Because if you don't come away from that review with a full understanding of how he (and you when you hear one) heard the Continuum S2 sound, then you didn't read the review. Roy spells it out as clearly as I've ever seen any reviewer describe the piece under review. Roy has heard more equipment, more top of the line gear, than most, and has been writing about it for many years. When someone of his experience finds his eyes (and ears) opened by a piece he was prepared to dislike, and he put those thoughts down in such a clear, concise, detailed manner, it makes that review transcend a simple review and border on art. But don't take my word for it. Read it yourself and see.....

Comment

Originally posted by JMCIII View Post

Because if you don't come away from that review with a full understanding of how he (and you when you hear one) heard the Continuum S2 sound, then you didn't read the review. Roy spells it out as clearly as I've ever seen any reviewer describe the piece under review. Roy has heard more equipment, more top of the line gear, than most, and has been writing about it for many years. When someone of his experience finds his eyes (and ears) opened by a piece he was prepared to dislike, and he put those thoughts down in such a clear, concise, detailed manner, it makes that review transcend a simple review and border on art. But don't take my word for it. Read it yourself and see.....
              I only tend to read reviews about gear that I'm interested in, and I'm not interested in an integrated amplifier. My system is absolutely not setup for using an integrated amplifier and I have zero desire to do so and less than zero desire for Class D amplification in my system now. I know it's normal that when someone buys a new piece of gear, they want everyone else to love it as much as they do. It's called affirmation.

As for your views about the writing skills of Gregory that "border on art," would your feelings have been the same if he didn't like the Rowland? I seriously doubt it. Why do I seriously doubt it? Because every time a reviewer writes a glowing review of a piece of gear that someone owns and loves, they praise the review and the reviewer because the review says what they already know and provides the affirmation that people crave about their purchasing decision. When the opposite happens and reviewers don't think your new baby is very pretty, that's when the knives come out and the name calling starts.

The bottom line is that none of us can convince the rest of us that they should love what we love. It simply is never going to happen and it's a waste of time to do so.
              SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I heard one of his LM3886 chip amps (multiple chips for high power output, don' know what model it was) and thought it was quite good, though overpriced like many of the chip amps.
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                --------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

As for your views about the writing skills of Gregory that "border on art," would your feelings have been the same if he didn't like the Rowland? I seriously doubt it. Why do I seriously doubt it? Because every time a reviewer writes a glowing review of a piece of gear that someone owns and loves, they praise the review and the reviewer because the review says what they already know and provides the affirmation that people crave about their purchasing decision. When the opposite happens and reviewers don't think your new baby is very pretty, that's when the knives come out and the name calling starts.

Would I. Yes, as a matter of fact I would. It's a great, well written, thoughtfully articulated review. And I, as a reviewer myself, can appreciate the effort he put in.

But I really don't care if you believe me or not. I know what I hear, read, feel, think and mean, and you don't. You don't like integrateds, Well and good. Have no need for one? Again, well and good. Your choice, and you're entitled to it. Zero desire for class D? Your loss. In the hands of someone like Jeff Rowland, class D (or any class for that matter) can shine.

Comment

Working...
                  X