"American Pickers" TV Show buys a Phase Linear 400 Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "American Pickers" TV Show buys a Phase Linear 400 Amp

The guys picked one up from a roadside homeowner in California for $275 in supposed working condition but they didn't test it. See latest episode.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

The 400 was better sounding and less likely to go up in smoke than the original 700. I still wouldn't plug one in without some safety precautions and a thorough check up.

Comment

I still have two Phase Linear 400 Series 2 amps laying around. One had been gone through from the tech I bought it from and the other is still stock from the original owner that came with the owner's manual and service manual. They still sound very good.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Hi Guys ,

My first Amp was the Phase Linear Model 700C . We owned it from 1986 to 1991 . It was a reliable amp did not have any problem . The only thing that I notice is every time I turned it on there was a split second flicker of the room light . But it was white , bright , analytical when driving our Snell Type A2 speakers . Even when I paired it w/ my first ARC product the SP6E preamp it did not sound good as well . We sold the Phase Linear to upgrade to the ARC D79B tube amp.

tdh888
        VPI HR-X JMW 12.7 Lyra Kleos VPI TNT6 Classic Aluminum Platter upgrade Kuzma Stogi Ref 313VTA Benz Micro Gullwing SLR
        ARC REF Phono 2SE ARC REF 5SE ARC REF 610T w/ KT120 upgrade
        Duntech C5000 Princess
        Pair of Shunyata King Cobra CX Power Cord Pair of Synergistic Research Tesla Precision Power Cord Straightwire Interconnects Synergistic Research Tesla Apex Speaker Wires VPI Phono cable
        Vintage: ARC SP10MK 2 preamp, a pair of ARC D79B’s ARC EC21 Electronic X Over Magnepan MG3A Rebuilt

Comment

I owned the Phase 700, and later, the 400. The latter sounded way better. The power supplies on the PLs were woefully inadequate. I if I remember correctly, there were only 2 x 7,000 mFd caps on the 400! This is was what resulted in instability if you drove them too hard earning them the "Flame Linear" moniker.

I modified the heck out of my 400 and it sounded very, very nice when finished. Used it many years.

Comment

Working...
          X