Boulder 1160 and 1110 are in the house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://absolutehiend.com/media/wysiw...erHifiPlus.pdf
    VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

I would be thankful if you share your ideas and impressions on the combo 1160-1110 with regard to listening mostly to rock and pop music of the 60s and 70s. I am also thinking of buying the combo in the nearest future. But I have no opportunity to audition both prior to purchase here in Ukraine. So I try to dig for as much info as possible from the owners of the combo.

Comment

Here is the link to my review of the pair in HiFi+ magazine.

​​​​​​http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/bou...160-amplifier/

I love the combo and if I had the cash I would have purchased them for myself.
        VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

Thanks for the informative review! Would you also give some ideas if the combo would work with the loudspeakers with the following specs:
          Power Handling: 175W/250W
          Frequency Response: 27 Hz (!) up to 22 kHz
          Impedance: 4 Ohm
          SPL 1W/1m: 91 dB
          Distorsion: 0,5 %

Comment

Those specs would be no problem for this combo.

Comment

Originally posted by longbowbbs View Post
              Those specs would be no problem for this combo.
              Would you also advise to add the tube Audio reasearch REF PHONO 3 SE to the combo or even try tube Audio reasearch pre-amp REF. 6 SE instead of Boulder 1110?

Comment

Would the Ref 6SE pair with the 1160, yes. Is it the best combo. No idea. Your ears, your combo. I would love a Ref Phono 3 with about any system.

Comment

Would the Ref 6SE pair with the 1160, yes. Is it the best combo. No idea. Your ears, your combo. I would love a Ref Phono 3 with about any system.
                  I have another tough choice to make at the moment. I am planning to do an upgrade of my set up step by step 'cause I do not have enough cash to buy a phono stage Audio reasearch ref. Phono SE 3, Boulder 1110 pre-amp and Power 1160 at the same time. At the moment I use Sugden Masterclass IA 4 integraded. Would it make sense to use Sugden integrated as a power amp with Audio reasearch PHONO SE3 and Boulder 1110 pre-amp or to use it as pre-amp with PHONO SE 3 and 1160 Power amp? I do realize it's a really tough choice but I need some time to complete my whole set-up, so it's gonna be some kind compromise and I'd like to choose the best of the two options.

Comment

I have no experience with the Sugden. I do not know if it can be used this way. However, if you have a chance to purchase any of your desired units at a great price, I would grab that piece and get started. Even if it sits in a box for awhile you have secured your unit. Sometimes it takes awhile to put it all together.

Comment

I have no experience with the Sugden. I do not know if it can be used this way. However, if you have a chance to purchase any of your desired units at a great price, I would grab that piece and get started. Even if it sits in a box for awhile you have secured your unit. Sometimes it takes awhile to put it all together.
                      Could I paraphraze what I am asking if you don't mind? Which of the two parts of the whole set-up is more influential with regard to the sound - a pre-amp or a phono stage?

Comment

Every [iece has impact. However, unless everything you are going to listen to is vinyl, the Pre-amp would be most influential.

Comment

Every [iece has impact. However, unless everything you are going to listen to is vinyl, the Pre-amp would be most influential.
                          Sorry if I didn't get what you mean. Do you mean pre-amp (not a Phono stage) is more influential if we are talking about analog sources? Mostly I listen to vinyl and tapes. Would you advise to fix on a solid state Pre-amp and a tube Phono stage or a solid state Phono stage and a tube Pre-amp? I don't have an opportunity to try and listen to those options in my home town so I am supposed to make a choice grounding on experts' opinions. So the only choice that I 've already made is to fix on Boulder 1160 power amp. Now I am still undecided whether to buy Boulder 1110 pre-amp and Audio research ref. phono stage SE 3 or a Boulder 1008 solid state phono stage and Audio reasearch tube ref. SE 6 pre-amp (another choice in this combination could be tube Ayon AURIS II “Reference” preamp). Which of the 2 choices are more preferable to your view?

Comment

For me. I would go with all Boulder. That said, I would be perfectly happy with the 1160 and the two ARC pieces. Generally, I do like a system that is using more than one piece from the same manufacturer. I do not have any direct experience with Ayon.

Comment

For me. I would go with all Boulder. That said, I would be perfectly happy with the 1160 and the two ARC pieces. Generally, I do like a system that is using more than one piece from the same manufacturer. I do not have any direct experience with Ayon.
                              I wonde if you ever have tried Boulder 1008 Phono stage.

Comment

I have. It is wonderful/

Comment

Working...
                                X