Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by longbowbbs View Post
    I have. It is wonderful/
    Just to let you know the prices offered for each of the components.
    Boulder 1160 - 17 K
    Boulder 1110 - 11 K
    Boulder 1008 - 10 K
    ARC ref. pre 6 SE - 17 K
    ARC ref phono 2 SE - 17 K
    From what I 've been offered ARC phono and pre - are more expensive (7 K difference). Does it have those value difference in sound? Sorry for the qeustion!)

Comment

Pricing is subjective. Each manufacturer sets theirs by their own process. I would be happy to have any of these pieces in my system. Does more money equal better sound? That has been the question around high end audio forever,
      VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

Pricing is subjective. Each manufacturer sets theirs by their own process. I would be happy to have any of these pieces in my system. Does more money equal better sound? That has been the question around high end audio forever,
        OK, I am going to paraphraze my question) Would you fix on a tube phono stage and a solid state pre-amp or a solid state phono stage and a tube pre-amp if you listen mostly to vinyls and tapes?

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          tube preamp makes everything sound better. I would also go with a tube MM phono stage and a SS head amp for MC or a SUT

• alex.ua
          alex.ua commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a reservation if I had both tube pre-amp and phono stage in combo with a solid-state power amp I would lose some dynamics taking into account the fact I mostly listen to hard-rock music.

By the way I have MC Clearaudio Stradivari stylus

Comment

I would add that value is also purely subjective and determined solely by the person writing the check. What one person feel is a valid sound difference for a price may not be true for someone else. Only the purchaser can make that determination for themselves.
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          -
          Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
          Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
          Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
          Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
          Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
          Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
          Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
          Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
          Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post

I would add that value is also purely subjective and determined solely by the person writing the check. What one person feel is a valid sound difference for a price may not be true for someone else. Only the purchaser can make that determination for themselves.
            Unfortunately, Steve, as I've mentioned previously I don't have a chance to audition those set-ups myself, so I would like to collect as many expert opinions as possible to make my choice in the end, though I admit a pricing is subjective but this conclusion does not bring me closer to the optimal decision.

Comment

Originally posted by alex.ua View Post

Unfortunately, Steve, as I've mentioned previously I don't have a chance to audition those set-ups myself, so I would like to collect as many expert opinions as possible to make my choice in the end, though I admit a pricing is subjective but this conclusion does not bring me closer to the optimal decision.
              It wasn't intended too. Someone else can share with you their opinion of it sound and quality, but their opinion of the value of that sound or quality doesn't really extend much past themselves. If someone tells you they feel the price difference was well worth it and they are happy, and you then spend the money and agree with the sound quality they described, but feel the price difference was too big to justify the difference, are either of you right or wrong? For yourselves you are both right. That's all I was trying to say.
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              -
              Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
              Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
              Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
              Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
              Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
              Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
              Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
              Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
              Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I agree with that, Steve. Everyone has to assign their own value to what they are considering for purchase.
                VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

Working...
                X