• Show
Clear All

• Does a cd sound better than vinyl , great read

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cd...-vinyl-5352162
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Maybe. Have really good sounding CDs and really bad sounding LPs - and just the opposite. All depends on the pressing, mastering, etc.
    Dave Clark
    Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
    www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

Way too much sweeping generalizations.

Talking about mastering and listening to that product on a 1968 turntable (who knows what that system was BTW--as is the case of almost all the examples in the piece) is like saying that all cars stink because of their experience driving a Model T. Or maybe the issue was the cutter amplifier for his lathe? Not to mention, cartridges back then were notoriously bad trackers. I'll also bet you dollars to donuts that the cartridge wasn't even set up properly (how many were back then???).

As I've said several times, the issue isn't in the analog medium but the playback. I've done many comparisons of tape and LP; depending upon the cartridge, one can get much closer to the tape than every believed possible especially when we are talking that dynamic ease and authority. I can point out several amazing albums of that day where there's no lack of low end. Try a copy of Psalms of Consolation and Hope on Argo and tell me there's a lack of bottom end.

At this point in time, there's more than enough music out there in all formats to keep people everyone happy. So who cares?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Last edited by Rob; 04-15-2016, 12:38 AM.
        Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I am not any kind of authority nor do win a TT , but I do still have a view . The most precious Maurice I own is dsd from analog tape .
          I have yet to here a vinyl rip that seems as good as dsd from tape . Even really good pure dsd does not seem to match the tape transferred to dsd . I cannot say dsd sounds better than tape as I have only heard tape a few times and not on my system. I can say a cd is not top,of sound food chain. I can say and do here cd PCM is below good hirez and not sounding at all like dsd or analog . I have heard some Laquer records played and they did sound far better than vinyl . Not being a real authority in this the topic seems like one I would like to read more about
          analog stuff.
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Those offering their opinion that cd sounds better than LP obviously has never heard a mint well mastered and recorded LP on a state of the art table.
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• gjm
              gjm commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel that's unfair. 99.999% of those who might consider themselves audiophiles fall into that category. I include me, and I've been around music and hifi for 30 years.

Pressings are one criteria. mastering is another.

However, the truth is that at the lower end of the market it is almost always the case that a CD played on low-end kit can sound 'better' than a LP played on kit of equivalent value. And that's where the majority of market interest lies. Or lay... These days there's more complications in the form of downloads.

Hi end vinyl reproduction is undoubtedly superb, but most people don't care about that. They're only interested in what is (in their opinion) financially achievable and economic, and that's where the testing ends. The people who care most are those with the time and financial investment in one form of replay or the other.

Me? I just like music, (re)played in a way that suits me.

It's not that simple
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

I've heard Cds On $18K dCS digital rigs thru $30k utopia speakers and they couldn't match hi end vinyl on same system.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Perspective is missing in your answer
                Specification wise in many ways a cd is beyond the capabilities of vinyl but I do agree vinyl in some ways sounds better anyway.
                As for a direct comparison that is difficult as there is little in the way of assurance if it's from the same master and how it was mixed for each medium. In fact the little I know vinyl needs to be mixed different due to its own needs. Again I do feel analog has its purpose
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

you cant go by specs alone. if you could, cd would have been perfect from day one back in 1982, and it wasn't. there would have been no need to develop SACD and other higher resolution digital formats like MQA. specs don't tell the whole story, trust your ears.

Comment

95 pages on this exact subject on WBF. I think consensus is near...
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

• gjm
                      gjm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      'Near' is relative. See Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and 'local affairs'.
                  Working...
                  X