• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audiophile's worst nightmare?

We've all experienced it. Maybe.....
    • Shorted speaker leads
    • A Western Electric 300B rolling off the table
    • A cuff catching onto the cantilever of our Goldfinger Statement

I went down to turn off the system in my listening room late last night and I heard an unusual sound. What I discovered was there was a drip coming from an access panel for the shut off of my outdoor garden tap.

Right in the corner of my listening room, between my sub, corner traps and next to the turntable.... not to mention the +/- high voltage wires for the 1700v to my direct drive Beveridge electrostatics

Could of been disastrous. It turned out to be aneurysm of the PEX water feed in the ceiling ... if left overnight I am convinced it would have burst and I would have had a caved in ceiling and lost or damaged most of the system.

We had a rough winter , I figure the outdoor tap was not drained properly- it froze and caused damage to the pipe.

So if you're in a basement or a room with water running through it make sure you're safe from time to time. I made the repair tonight after fighting the highway traffic for 1 1/2hrs back from the office. Good times.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2114.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	115148

Click image for larger version  Name:	InkedIMG_2116_LI.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	115149
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Scary. I worry about all kinds of stuff, I'm kind of OCD in that way. It would be a disaster, but at the end of the day, stuff. As I get older, I wonder how long I can continue to maintain all this 'stuff'- the gear, the records, etc.
    I'm not ready to check out, or live in a monastery, but I think about the importance of all this in my life and sometimes wonder- do I own it, or does it own me?
    Glad you escaped catastrophe- not making light of it- to the contrary, the fact that we have such worries tells me that we are in some ways victims of our own success. And not that this is bad either- hell, you work hard, I did, there are things you like, as I do.
    I'm not sure what the answer is-- people who have lost everything who put their lives back together.
    For a while, I've been thinking about an even more remote existence somewhere. Not quite there yet, and my wife- I think she's not anywhere close to where I'm am on the subject.
    Remember the story that Sam Spade tells in the Maltese Falcon-- about a guy Spade is tasked with finding- somebody who walked away from a very successful life and disappeared? It's referred to as the Flitcraft Parable if you look it up. The disappeared man had an epiphany that caused him to rethink his life. But Spade eventually discovered that with all that, the man had eventually established the same existence in another place.

Comment

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right Bill, it is just stuff. All you have to experience is a health concern within your family to realize how little this stuff means in the end.

I have been releasing a lot over the last 2 years - I'm not 60 yet but I think about it often.
      I tend to wind myself up on things like this -I have to take a more even perspective.

Looks like you may have dodged a huge bullet! Now I'm going to check my hot water heater.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
    DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. MoFi Studiophono
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      Scary. I worry about all kinds of stuff, I'm kind of OCD in that way. It would be a disaster, but at the end of the day, stuff. As I get older, I wonder how long I can continue to maintain all this 'stuff'- the gear, the records, etc.
      I'm not ready to check out, or live in a monastery, but I think about the importance of all this in my life and sometimes wonder- do I own it, or does it own me?
      Glad you escaped catastrophe- not making light of it- to the contrary, the fact that we have such worries tells me that we are in some ways victims of our own success. And not that this is bad either- hell, you work hard, I did, there are things you like, as I do.
      I'm not sure what the answer is-- people who have lost everything who put their lives back together.
      For a while, I've been thinking about an even more remote existence somewhere. Not quite there yet, and my wife- I think she's not anywhere close to where I'm am on the subject.
      Remember the story that Sam Spade tells in the Maltese Falcon-- about a guy Spade is tasked with finding- somebody who walked away from a very successful life and disappeared? It's referred to as the Flitcraft Parable if you look it up. The disappeared man had an epiphany that caused him to rethink his life. But Spade eventually discovered that with all that, the man had eventually established the same existence in another place.
      Bill, well said. I am the same way you are, worrying about stuff all the time, but I am able to put it in perspective fairly well.

My biggest concern is having a tree fall on my listening room which has a partly exposed roof. My only consolation is that my LPs and reels would be safe.

As you said, it is just "stuff."

Kcin, glad things are ok. Water can be disastrous.
      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Congrats on avoiding a disaster. Someone was looking out for you.

The best listening rooms I have ever had were in basements. Nothing beats installations on concrete slabs. The down sides are water issues.

Good listening,
        Ed
        Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
        https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
        Amp: Rogue RP-9 + Schiit Loki + Parasound A21
        Speakers: Magnepan MMC2 + DW-M + REL T5/i
        Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer DV-47Ai, NAD C446, Schiit Modi Multibit
        Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr 2
        Wires: Kimber Hero + 8TC + AQ Leopard

Comment

Originally posted by EdAInWestOC View Post
          Congrats on avoiding a disaster. Someone was looking out for you.

The best listening rooms I have ever had were in basements. Nothing beats installations on concrete slabs. The down sides are water issues.

Good listening,
          Ed
          My listening room is on my main floor but on a concrete slab so I feel like I have the best of both worlds.
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

The gear is all "just stuff" and can be replaced. The record collection? You don't realize the personal connection you have to those things until you've been robbed. I lost about 700 records in mid 1990s (all the rock albums alphabetized from somewhere in the Ms to the beginning of Z). I took the collection out of storage and set up a system again in 1997, and still every time I pull a record out and think about what's missing, I get a little depressed. Much of my record shopping these days is still looking to replace the LP that were stolen.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            --------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• kcin
              kcin commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, stuff is stuff. Records, well I don't think I could ever replace them as I am not that well organized on the software front. I am the guy that buys the same record 2x . Getting robbed , well that is horrific. Sorry to hear about that.

• EdAInWestOC
              EdAInWestOC commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed Steve. Some years ago I was about to move and had my LPs boxed up and sitting in my garage for moving day, which was later that week. Unfortunately there was a big snow storm that week and snow piled up against the garage door. Some of that melted and the water flowed under the garage door.

Murphy, being the common SOB that he is, made sure that the water soaked through the boxes that were the lowest and sitting directly on the floor. It took quite some time to recover from that mess and I still have reminders of that week. I have quite a few LPs with water damaged covers.

I over insure my collection now but there are always those releases that cannot be replaced. Money cannot make up for a pristine copy of a hard to find LP. Hopefully you can find another copy but there are times...well you all know.
          Working...
          X