Counterfeit High-End Audio Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterfeit High-End Audio Equipment

Sure I've heard of counterfeit cables, cartridges and tubes but electronics? And to be so brazen to out and out advertise as well as the site allowing it? The fake FMA amp even comes with a serial number.
    FM Acoustic 711 Mk 2 stereo power amp ( China Clone )
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

what about this one and a bargain

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...est-version-4/

Comment

You should ask for one to review who knows they might send it LOL

The world is not a safe place bargain hunters are low hanging fruit easy to pick.

I always deal with the Guy in the white Van in the mall parking lot selling speakers. Factory over runs you Know.

You know you can go old fashion and go to a real dealer in a real town near you who has been doing this like forever .

Comment

It would not surprise me if manufacturers started hermetically sealing their electronics...or some such preventative measure. Manufacturers spend large sums of time and money creating product to have Chinese manufacturers copy their work and flood the market with cheap knock-offs. The Chinese are not known for their ethical behavior and will steal anything that they want.

Now that they have the high end manufacturing facilities, nothing is outside their ability to steal and copy. If you take a look at their latest military equipment you will find copies of many jets, tanks, ships, etc that our, and other countries, have spent years and millions on development. The Chinese have no reluctance to copy a product and call it their own.

Do not expect any kind of decent behavior because it is not there. It does not exist at all. They take whatever they want.

Yes it is industrial theft and others would be prosecuted for this behavior. The news that they would copy high-end stereo gear is not surprising at all. The best thing that we can do is not buy their products. If you do buy these high-end knock-offs you will be rewarding industrial theft.

You can bet their products will be cheaper. They didn't have to pay for the development of the product. They stole it. People who buy this stuff are rewarding thieves. It is nothing short of that. Please do not buy their products.

Ed
        Last edited by EdAInWestOC; 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM.
        Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
        https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
        Amp: Rogue RP-9 + Schiit Loki + Parasound A21
        Speakers: Magnepan MMC2 + DW-M + REL T9/i
        Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer DV-47Ai, NAD C446, Schiit Modi Multibit
        Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr 2
        Wires: Kimber Hero + 8TC + AQ Leopard

Comment

Unfortunately, the Chinese don't believe in spending time, effort and lots of money in research and that's why they copy everything...even the Corn Flakes! The truth is that they have mastered the art of copying so good that even for the experts is getting more difficult to detect the knock off immediately. This would affect the Hi End market very badly, as the copies are becoming better and better as time goes by. This is one of the main reasons Mr. Trump imposed the Chinese sur-charge. It would nor solve shit and the consumer is the one paying it, but the truth is that illegal copying is becoming a plague. Have you seen the speaker copies? That's an area where the Chinese are very good indeed: wood working. They are artisans. This is just the beginning...I'm afraid.
          Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
          http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
          http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

I visited a huge Hi-Fi store in Guangzhou a few years ago and here’s what I saw...

A nice Finite Elemente Pagode Master Reference stand?

Click image for larger version  Name:	8AF34267-21CE-4AE6-8306-F7230F1710A4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	204.1 KB ID:	119218

A closer look revealed it’s a "Finite Elemente Pagpde Edition”. At first I was not 100% sure if this stand is fake but I thought Finite Elemente would never sell stands with such obvious flaws. Also build quality and finish was well below this producer’s norm. Latter I found more similar stands selling as "China clones".

Click image for larger version  Name:	6579D8F4-9D73-4D7A-92F5-AE7354935765.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	156.4 KB ID:	119219
            Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• seamonster
              seamonster commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps they're counting on us not being able to read through the smog. Haven't been to Guangzhou in a few years, but, spent a week in Nantong a couple of months ago, and it's murkier than ever.

You can still see these "China clones" here:

https://sg.carousell.com/p/finite-el...etc-163211952/

and

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...topic=242708.0

and selling here:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=520249771383

And here's an example of the original...

Click image for larger version  Name:	finite-elemente-pagode-edition-rack-with-heavy-duty-option-demo.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	119222
            Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

I travel to China a lot and I would never buy electronics or watches there.
              Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
              Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
              Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
              Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
              Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
              Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
              Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
              Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
              CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
              Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
              Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
              Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
              Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
              Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Myles,

This is "tip of the iceberg stuff". China has no respect for anyone's intellectual property - especially the USA. They have been knocking us off for years.

In the audio electronics category forget the final products like amps or preamps, they have been faking most of the good (expensive) COMPONENTS in them; potentiometers, connectors, capacitors, resistors, semiconductors, etc. It can be a bonanza for the DIY'er until your amp blows up. And it's impossible to tell the difference for most products - the cosmetics are soo good.

I'm amazed how the "far down" the Chinese fake market has extended in price - way below components whose value could make any endeavor profitable. For "expensive" semiconductors, they re-label cheap, maybe even similar ones.

You can buy PC boards / kits for most any well recognized audio amp/preamp. John Curl has commented on how his knockoff JC-2 is not that bad. Apparently he must have bought one!!

Charles

Not to mention how on some DIY forums, posters are looking for DartZeel schematics.

Comment

Wow, that's crazy!

I challenged them to clone a Studer A820!!

Comment

I haven’t been in China for a while but last time there every hotel I was in the tourist busses were inundated with sellers wearing half a dozen “genuine” Rolexes on each arm. Just $8.00 each. What a bargain eh?
                    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite Level 2X AC Cords, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

I can't by any parts from China and to go further not parts sold here I know to be made in China it's sad really
                      yes the hi end audio guys are hurting but we are too as consumers
                      as a contractor the list of fake is huge
                      outlets
                      GFCI breakers
                      wire yes bx cable and rolls of wire
                      conduit
                      even flexible water proof conduit and it's not allowed to be used as it's not stamped with ul labs.
                      I had a job to wire 400 roof top units it's a good thing I look for this stuff.
                      I almost had to sue a Supply house for fake breakers hundreds of tnem.
                      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

theyre not counterfeits if they are sold as clones.
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Love this yes it's the law wonder of this makes it better Hahaa
                          maybe the breakers were sons to me as clones too.
                          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                            theyre not counterfeits if they are sold as clones.
                            Does that make it legal if you steal IP from a company and put it into production to undercut the company you stole the IP from as long as you call it a clone?
                            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• JCOConnell
                              JCOConnell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn't mean to imply clones were OK, but there is a distinction between a clone and something trying to be passed off as genuine item.
                          Working...
                          X