Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad experience with "testpressings". Anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad experience with "testpressings". Anyone else?

I won a 4LP 45rpm Clarity vinyl box set of Peter Gabriel "4" from a vendor called "testpressings". I am of the belief that this is one of Michael Hobson's Ebay accounts. They primarily sell items from the "Michael Hobson Archives". Payment was made via Paypal to AllTheMusic.

It has been 10 days since the auction closed and the item has not shipped. I've sent two messages via Ebay with no response. Looking at previous negative customer feedback it seems as though this is a fairly common occurrence - items taking a month to ship, zero communication.

Ultimately I'll get my money back if he stiffs me. If it is Hobson I'm a bit shocked that his customer service is so bad...although I did have a bad experience buying mailorder from his brick and mortar years ago so maybe I shouldn't be shocked at all.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any dealings with this vendor.
    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

im not 100% certain but I think Scot Markwell is involved (Elite A/V, aka Kuzma dist). He acquired much of Hobson's old stock and I believe took over his retail vinyl business.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      par for the course maybe? I went outta my way on a Saturday to shop at their store. It was still closed an hour after they were supposed to be open. I had lunch down the street came back an hour later. nada, not even a "I'm sorry, we're closed" note or message anywhere.

• Socrates
      Socrates commented
      Editing a comment
      I am surprised at Scotty letting this get negative service comments--he is one of the Games "good BIG guys" surely a note to him would pull
      this into line--lets know what transpires /etc.
      Soc

• lasercd
      lasercd commented
      Editing a comment
      Socrates

Please reread my post. I sent two emails with no response. Its been 10 days and the album hasn’t shipped. If you read the negative feedback left by past buyers you will see that zero communication and slow shipping is typical. Some buyers report they never received their albums.

There is no excuse for bad customer service.

Communication and shipping quickly is not their strong suit, but they are reliable. Don't worry about them at all.
    Best Regards,

Jonathan Tinn
    Blue Light Audio
    darTZeel - Importer
    Evolution Acoustics - Co-Owner / Founder
    Playback Designs - Co-Founder
    Wave Kinetics - Co-Owner / Co-Founder
    Wave Kinetics Records - Co-Owner / Co-Founder

Comment

So its been two weeks since I won and paid for my album. Three emails sent to the seller and no response. Of course the seller put up another batch of albums for auction in the meantime.

Don’t know for certain if its Hobson or Markwell or ? but whoever it is it looks like they are scammers. They don’t seem reliable to me.

Avoid.
      www.lasercd.com
      www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

I know this is a bit of a monologue so I’ll wrap this up and let others use my experience as a warning.

After three weeks the seller never shipped the album. I filed a dispute with Paypal. It was escalated to a claim. The seller never responded. Late last night a tracking number was assigned. I woke up this morning to see that Paypal refunded all of my money. The tracking number was useless since the album was never mailed.

So avoid “testpressings” on Ebay. Despite what others have said here they are not reliable at all. There are other sellers on Ebay offering similar Classic Records product. It may be the same seller using a different account.

The End.
        www.lasercd.com
        www.lasersedgegroup.com

Comment

I have bought a lot of stuff from test pressings and Hobson's two other eBay sites Postitos and Themusic. Shipping can be dodgy as one album took five or six weeks to ship. But in general shipping has been fine and I have always gotten what I paid for. It seems they get backed up, etc. and shipping suffers. Anyway, that’s no excuse.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
          -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• lasercd
            lasercd commented
            Editing a comment
            With all due respect - its bullshit. He acted in bad faith.
            Last edited by lasercd; 09-20-2019, 07:39 PM.

I don't know who is selling what to whom, but I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Scot Markwell and never experienced this kind of deplorable sounding customer service. I've never bought records from him, but just the same.......
          Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
          Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
          Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
          Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
          Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
          Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
          Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
          Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
          CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
          Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
          Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
          Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
          Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
          Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Working...
          X