When You Return From An Audio Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When You Return From An Audio Show

Do you feel better or worse about your own system?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I always feel better. I like my system. I might come across specific components of interest at a show but as a cohesive system its happened a handful of times. Show conditions make it too difficult to hear a composed system at its best.
    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

I always feel better.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Same here. I always hear some nice things at shows, for sure. But then I come home, throw on an album, and always think to myself “man, I love my hi-fi”.
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

After spending 2-3 days at the AARP convention marching from one small hotel room to the next to sit with strangers who love to yap while you are trying to listen to a system, it's always refreshing to return home to my large dedicated listening room and listen to my system from the comfort of my nice listening chair.
          SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Cute, Mark. AARP is right, except for the lack of women. Larry

• mep
            mep commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a male club by default Larry.

Worse. I always hear something like a $70k speaker or amp, maybe combo of the two I like but hell I'f I'm spending money like that.

The happy part is it reinforces what I have at my price point is good.
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I love audio shows. I love them because of their social aspect as much as equipment and music. I have made many friends over the years in manufacturing and retailing. Until about three years ago I always felt good about my system when returning from a show. However I began to feel there was less life in my system than what I heard at shows. I decided to replace my oldest pieces of gear first and work forward. That approach has worked for me. I now feel my system competes with most of what I hear at shows and I’m happy with my decision to update the system.
            TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite Level 2X AC Cords, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

Shows are worth attending to discover new hardware possibilities I wouldn't otherwise consider, I already know what my own system can or cant do regardless if I'm fresh off the heels of listening to a half million+ dollar systems...most of them leave me nonplused anyways.
              Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

WAAAAY BETTER....

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  Do you feel better or worse about your own system?
                  Myles many times after shows or events I go home and hug my towers hahaha they may not be Perfect but I love them anyway.
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Feel about the same since I'm very happy with my system. Always enjoy catching up with people, finding new music and seeing/listening what's new. It's all good!

Comment

You know what makes me feel bad, is when I come home from Mike Lavignes place. My system just pales in comparison.
                      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
                      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                        Worse. I always hear something like a $70k speaker or amp, maybe combo of the two I like but hell I'f I'm spending money like that.

The happy part is it reinforces what I have at my price point is good.
                        Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                        You know what makes me feel bad, is when I come home from Mike Lavignes place. My system just pales in comparison.
                        I'm curious.

What audio shows have you attended along the size of RMAF or AXPONA?

How long ago?
                        Every day is a good day to play analog.
                        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                        Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

I can say there are plenty of bad but also good as well price does not need to be in the clouds to be so.
                          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

I'm curious.

What audio shows have you attended along the size of RMAF or AXPONA?

How long ago?
                            Both shows. Rocky some years back and Axpona 2 years ago. A few local shows at my local high end shop.

Comment

Working...
                            X