Cut Your Own LPs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Your Own LPs?

As CD sales continue to fall, vinyl is becoming more and more popular of amusic format. Some fans enjoy the bigger packaging and artwork while othersclaim vinyl playback produces a "warmer" tone compared to CDs and digitalfiles. But vinyl doesn't have the flexibility of those formats. Phonocut hopesto change that with its home vinyl recorder, which launches on Kickstarterthis week. The device's diamond stylus cuts the waveforms from an externalsource into a blank 7- or 10-inch vinyl disc so you
    TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Optical Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I wouldn’t donate a dime to that Kickstarter campaign. If this isn’t a hoax, I can’t imagine how terrible these “records” would sound.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without at least seeing what they say when they post their campaign. Like the Engadget article says, interest in this could spur further development, á la 3D printing. At least it could be fun. I agree it's a long shot, but I'd at least keep an open mind.
      TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Optical Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

I much prefer to make my own tapes 😁
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I wonder why it cant do 12" records?
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Home 'dub plate' lathes have been around from a few sources for nearly 20 years. Not a toy needed for audiophile aspirations but can be fun.
            Regards,

Erik
            http://solypsa.com
            North American distributor for:
            Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
            STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

What is the source for the blank 7” and 10” discs? How much are they? What is the source for the records you are going to cut? How many plays before it’s trash? Who really wants the audiophile equivalent of an ez bake oven?
              SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Up on Kickstarter and already at 163% of their goal after 3 days. Hey, I’m just intrigued that’s all. There’s a video on the Kickstarter site. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vinyl-recorder

Comment

I guess you're right. This is the product the world has been waiting for. It will be a smash hit.

Comment

I would be pretty skeptical of this with respect to it being high fidelity.
                    This is not how vinyl records are made.
                    The traditional way to cut a record is to first cut a lacquer, then make a stamper (reverse image of the lacquer), then use the stampers to make the records.
                    In this case they are cutting it straight onto vinyl which I doubt with be able to come close sonically to the above mentioned method.

Making great sounding vinyl is quite challenging.

Comment

And part of the sales pitch is you can make your own "mix tapes." Yeah, 3 songs cut to vinyl from a digital source most probably. Have these guys heard of this thing called streaming?

Comment

I wonder if it has a heated stylus and how often its replaced. We have to replace the stylus on our setup about once every ten hours.

Comment

Originally posted by atmasphere View Post
                          I wonder if it has a heated stylus and how often its replaced. We have to replace the stylus on our setup about once every ten hours.
                          They are claiming 100 hours.

Comment

Back when dj/selectors were 100% vinyl it was a real asset to get dubplates of rare and /or new tracks to play. Don't over play the audiophile card. Never was....
                            Regards,

Erik
                            http://solypsa.com
                            North American distributor for:
                            Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
                            STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

They are claiming 100 hours.
                              Nice! Its not that hard to find 'dub plates' for which this thing is designed. They hold up fairly well too- much better than lacquers but not as good as actual vinyl. I wonder what they do about chip.

Comment

Working...
                              X