Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS Hoover
    replied
    There was a semi-pro recording equipment company in the mid-20th century called "PRESTO". They made stuff like this all the time (during the pre-tape era) for domestic use and, the major blank media supplier of-the-day (AudioDevices) sold blank acetate coated 10" discs the machine's linear head would engrave grooves onto.

Leave a comment:

• Don RMGI
    replied
    This is not related to this product, but Neil Young's, Letters to My Mother was cut on 7" disk in Jack White's phono both at his store in Nashville. I know a couple of people who worked on the project and they told me it was the worst sounding album they had ever worked on. Plus some of the songs were longer the 7" vinyl capacity (length) at they had to try to mix two different disk together that always had different levels for some reason they couldn't explain. They said they learned alot but the project was a nightmare

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied
    Originally posted by atmasphere View Post

Nice! Its not that hard to find 'dub plates' for which this thing is designed. They hold up fairly well too- much better than lacquers but not as good as actual vinyl. I wonder what they do about chip.
    If you watch the video, they do nothing with the cuttings. There is no vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• seamonster
    replied
    "I wonder what they do about chip."

Looks like they just pick/sweep it off the finished product.

Leave a comment:

• atmasphere
    replied
    Originally posted by mep View Post

They are claiming 100 hours.
    Nice! Its not that hard to find 'dub plates' for which this thing is designed. They hold up fairly well too- much better than lacquers but not as good as actual vinyl. I wonder what they do about chip.

Leave a comment:

• solypsa
    replied
    Back when dj/selectors were 100% vinyl it was a real asset to get dubplates of rare and /or new tracks to play. Don't over play the audiophile card. Never was....

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied
    Originally posted by atmasphere View Post
    I wonder if it has a heated stylus and how often its replaced. We have to replace the stylus on our setup about once every ten hours.
    They are claiming 100 hours.

Leave a comment:

• atmasphere
    replied
    I wonder if it has a heated stylus and how often its replaced. We have to replace the stylus on our setup about once every ten hours.

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied
    And part of the sales pitch is you can make your own "mix tapes." Yeah, 3 songs cut to vinyl from a digital source most probably. Have these guys heard of this thing called streaming?

Leave a comment:

• Anthony Gravino
    replied
    I would be pretty skeptical of this with respect to it being high fidelity.
    This is not how vinyl records are made.
    The traditional way to cut a record is to first cut a lacquer, then make a stamper (reverse image of the lacquer), then use the stampers to make the records.
    In this case they are cutting it straight onto vinyl which I doubt with be able to come close sonically to the above mentioned method.

Making great sounding vinyl is quite challenging.

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied
    I guess you're right. This is the product the world has been waiting for. It will be a smash hit.

Leave a comment:

• Afveep
    replied
    Up on Kickstarter and already at 163% of their goal after 3 days. Hey, I’m just intrigued that’s all. There’s a video on the Kickstarter site. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vinyl-recorder

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied
    What is the source for the blank 7” and 10” discs? How much are they? What is the source for the records you are going to cut? How many plays before it’s trash? Who really wants the audiophile equivalent of an ez bake oven?

Leave a comment:

• solypsa
    replied
    Home 'dub plate' lathes have been around from a few sources for nearly 20 years. Not a toy needed for audiophile aspirations but can be fun.

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    replied
    I wonder why it cant do 12" records?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X