Anyone Remember or Shop at Tech HIFI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Remember or Shop at Tech HIFI?

Something kinda near and dear to my heart and arguably the beginning point of my audio journey!

First “Audio” store I frequently back when was in college from 72-76. A good friend and fencing team team worked at the store on Broadway and 112th St. in Manhattan and used to bring equipment from the store back to his dorm room to listen to. Never forget listening to Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Brian Auger, the Dead, Yes, John Mayall, Pink Floyd and other bands on his dorm room system. My first pair of speakers were Ohm D2s that I bought from Tech HIFI (other friends bought the C2 with that awful super tweeter that peeled paint off the walls). Anyone remember that giant switch box that Tech HIFI used to switch between components?

Here’s Steve’s interview with John Strohbeen, one of Tech HIFIs cofounders and current owner of Ohm Acoustics.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I remember them. I went to one in MA many years ago.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I remember the one in Harvard Square in the basement!
      TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Optical Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

1975, first marriage ended. She kept the Fisher based stereo. Went to Tech Hifi for a system for my new tiny studio apt. Pioneer receiver, EPI speakers and a Garrard changer. First almost immediate upgrade was a Pioneer manual turntable and Pickering cart.
        Main System: VPI Prime, Ortofon A95, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Bottlehead Eros Phono-pre, Phoenix Eagle and Roadrunner Tach, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super, Ortofon 2M Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, PrimaLuna Prologue PreAmp and Monoblocks, Martin Logan Summit X's. Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

The one in Valley Stream, NY where I bought my first Sansui receiver and KLH speakers is now a Staples - or was that an Atlantis Sound....?
          Last edited by Nscohen17; 10-27-2019, 09:30 AM.
          SME 10/IV, Lyra Kleos, Koetsu Blavk Goldline, Cotter Mk. 2L sut, BAT VK-D5 (diy ‘six-pak’ upgrade), Audioengine D2 WiFi dac (for streaming from iMac desktop), Plinius Hautonga, Totem Forest Signatures, MIT Shotgun S1 phono, Shotgun S1 Proline (cd player), S3 (dac), MIT StyleLink Plus usb, Shotgun S1 speaker cable with AQ jumpers, RGPC Substation and1200S, Marigo Ultra and Reference power cords, Burson Soloist, modified Sennheiser HD580 Precision with Dekoni elite hybrid pads and custom wire, VPI 16.5 and other miscellaneous and sundry widgets, thingamabobs and doodads.

Comment

Atlantic Street Stamford Connecticut. I remember the row of floor standing speakers to the back of the store.

Comment

...and everything went to a board ...they could switch in/out everything with a flick of the wrist. No wonder it all sounded different at home.

Comment

off the top of my head, the audio sellers of my youth were hifi associates, captain video, radio shack, and Lafayette. this was in ft Lauderdale.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                X