No announcement yet.

Inner song skips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the minimum your setup skills are growing a lot from this 'trial'!

Since you are 'warmed up' maybe move the cart to one of your pivot arms and see what happens. Sage observations made by Dre earlier...
    Regards,

Erik
    http://solypsa.com
    North American distributor for:
    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
    STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

I will try to move it.
      I do have a thought and I think rob is on the same track. Not that I’m sure.
      but given this only started to happen after I moved the weight close to the arm beam
      it might be the cart weight and the added weight to bal the cart closer to the pivot beam not sure it’s the right word. But since I have much more weight on the bearing I wonder if it’s increased the friction a bit.
      mill bet of I increase the air pressure a bit it stops.
      for now as I need to paperwork I’m going to increase the movement to the inside a bit more and See. No 60 albums for now lol.
      I do agree it’s all experience and while my posts may make me seem nuts I’m better the. I seem hahaha. This is fun for me makes me use parts of my brain long time being dormant . On one hand I’m all
      on with zero movement. But things are Rarely perfect.
      I just rec a new cart to try too. It’s a monster cable alpha gen 2
      It’s much lighter in weight too.
      thanks all I’ll keep posting
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Last night while Doing paper work I did increase the inside movement a bit more or then played fine.
        next is make it stagnant and increase air pressure. I have a gauge it’s about 4 pounds
        I’ll use two pumps and go to 5 or 6 and post back.
        I did think rob is on to something. I do feel the massive weights are increasing the load on the arm and must be increasing the level of friction accordingly. Lets see. I also rec my next victim too lol.
        analog stuff.
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

See Al. You should have stuck with digital. Look at the can of worms you opened.

PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Ok an update.
            air pressure does not help
            increasing inward anti skate hope this comment is correct does not help.
            I did notice it skates across to near the end point of the album and stops. This is exactly where the skip occurs
            this observation is with a blank record.
            mom now going to clean the arm tube very well to see if there is any film that may be causing this.
            I can’t feel any friction added of I lift it by hand to Check.
            I’ll update after cleaning my Hope is it’s just dirty
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Joe Pittman
              Joe Pittman commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like the horizontal arm tube is not level and or the record surface is not level, ie: movement toward the center due to gravity. Tangential stylus does not have skating action and therefore do not need anti skating compensation...

Ok let me try to explain or better. The arm moves evenly if I Adjust it to move inward. It does this right up to close to inside max lps tin of then stops as if there is a restriction.
            Yet I don’t feel it nor see why. Reg the arm platter it’s all on the same platform.
            It is level as best I can and relative to the arm beam as well. I’m thinking the arm beam may have something stoping it. It does slow down it just stops in one motion.
            I am going to clean or more and post if not I do have a second arm complete. I’ll try the arm beam alone from it.
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

The madness of straight line air bearing tonearms.

I help a local friend with a Mapleknoll - forget the model, one of the last one's built top of the line- totally maddening experience. Dirt and dirty air are your enemy. As well, level is important. Sometimes level doesn't work for a variety of reasons. You may have to skew level to compensate for a series of eccentricities. I had to do this on the Mapleknoll which is definitely not built mil-spec to say the least.

I have friends with Forsell arms in cabinets because they refuse to be subjected to the pain.

And oh the terror when you see that arm hang up to any degree and that cantilever gets pulled over ouch!

I wish you best of luck trying to resolve it.
              Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• jonathanb
                jonathanb commented
                Editing a comment
                Do any of those friends happen to have an air bearing for the Forsell's platter? My Forsell table is in dire need of one.

Originally posted by kcin View Post
              The madness of straight line air bearing tonearms.

I help a local friend with a Mapleknoll - forget the model, one of the last one's built top of the line- totally maddening experience. Dirt and dirty air are your enemy. As well, level is important. Sometimes level doesn't work for a variety of reasons. You may have to skew level to compensate for a series of eccentricities. I had to do this on the Mapleknoll which is definitely not built mil-spec to say the least.

I have friends with Forsell arms in cabinets because they refuse to be subjected to the pain.

And oh the terror when you see that arm hang up to any degree and that cantilever gets pulled over ouch!

I wish you best of luck trying to resolve it.
              The Mapleknoll was born from the Colony AB-1 which Bruce Thigpen co-developed with Edison Price. If Walkers Proscenium reminds one of a Mapleknoll its for a good reason, the Walker is based on it. Audio certainly is an incestuous business
              Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

Comment

• kcin
                kcin commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes indeed , the Walker is the child of the original Mapleknoll.... Too bad Mr Walker only wants to sell one a year now with his pricing.... ouch!

I figure it’s two possibilities now.
              1- since I need the weights close to the arm tube it’s a lot of weight. I’m thinking it’s like a fishing pole with a weight at the end. So as arm tube slides in it reaches a point that it may move the arm tube a bit and jam into tjr bearing.
              next is the arm may have a grove in it and since I removed or to clean 🧼 I’ll bet it’s not in the same Rotation now.
              This arm has no issues until I moved the weight very close to the arm tube even after I cleaned it.
              Yes I agree it’s trouble but man it sounds amazing with this cart it’s just wow.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Just got off the phone with Bruce T
                his comments as follows
                to have soo much weight at such a close proximity to the spindle it is why it stalls.
                his advise is a bit less weight further back.
                now this will result in less effective arm mass and a lesser arm resonance approval. He then said to stiffen the spring on the arm beam where it attaches to the spindle. He has given me additional springs and advised to use rubber cut to fit in slot as well.
                when I’m done and it works I’ll post progress pics of my adventure. All I can say now is the sota and ET arm with the sound smith cart is the best vinyl sound at my place yet.
                it’s truly an amazing journey with many rewards as I go.
                thanks all for your continued support on my rambling posts.
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Kingrex
                  Kingrex commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking exactly as such when you said a heavy weight close to the spindle. That makes a very jerky movement of mass. Less weight further out like a seesaw is more fluid in movement.

It’s like a fishing pole with a weight at the end. It’s jams the spindle when tjr weighted side Extends far enough. It became obvious once I seen it happen on a blank lp. I’m glad it’s this simple in the end. I can see this arm is a pity to setup. Harry W and Gary warned me lol. But I like to fix things. It’s on me to pursue tough if in the end there is a payoff.
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Might be the tonearm wire, it needs to be loose and have a big loop for the travel of the tube.
                  McIntosh C100, MC275 Mk VI x2, MC 501, D100, Marantz PMD580
                  SOTA Star Sapphire x3, SME Series V x2, SME 309
                  Sumiko Blackbirds & EVO III, SOTA Head Amps x3

Comment

Not the wire I tried this too.but in watching it thought it might be. Bruce said it’s his opinion it’s the weights being large due to being so close to the spindle. I’ll post when I do as asked by Briuce. So far he is spot on
                    analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Ok the finally is here
                      it’s the weights in proximity to the spindle
                      too much and it hangs up on inner groves no matter how much inner movement I tried
                      the fix is simple but for me was a bit more complex
                      for me to obtain a good passing grade on arm resonance I needed to move weights close to the spindle. This means plenty of weight. This causes a friction when the spindle is extended towards the rear of the table
                      now if I move the weights more outward this makes the resonance test bad.
                      this is is fixed by making the arm beam stiffer
                      this can be done by using eraser wedged to limit wagging. I was lucky as Bruce gave me more arm springs to make it even more stuff. This solved the arm resonance noise.
                      not it seems while great audio can be achieved. I can see why a pro like Harry W has lost his love of this arm lol.
                      maybe I the vpi 40 ANN table was a good idea after All. I wish harry would have been a pushy salesman hahaha. All In all it’s a fun journey with a big payoff once dialed in.
                      analog stuff.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

If you can see the cartridge cantilever move back and forth with relation to the arm, that is your tracking angle error, not the position of the arm. So if the setup isn't done carefully, quite often a radial tracking arm can have less tracking error!

Comment

Working...
                        X