Reflections on Sunday's Listening Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on Sunday's Listening Session

One of the board members from out of town—make that half way around the word—dropped by Sunday to listen to the SAT tonearm/Lyra Atlas combo.

So what to play? Luckily that’s not much of an issue with around 10K or so of records. The actual response is what do you want to hear?

So my visitor’s first request was for “LA Woman” from the Doors. No problem as have the excellent AP 45 rpm reissue on hand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_181812.jpg Views:	19 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	130119

Next up? My choice so how about some mid-80s rock from Grace Jones? Cued up side 1 and we didn’t breathe again until the last note of the last track. What an incredible recording that’s been a reference since the late-80s. Not to mention flies under most audiophile’s radar. Track after track of incredibly densely orchestrated music not to mention low end up the wazoo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_182041.jpg Views:	20 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	130115

The visitor’s choice so how about Cat Stevens? No problem, let’s slap the AP 45 rpm reissue on the platter. One track here wasn’t enough here either to satiate our desire. Not typical audiophile policy being followed here either. Or as my visitor wrote today, “I can’t get the ‘Sad Lisa’ track out of my mind for some reason it was beautifully reproduced. Yes, those vocals were just mouth wateringly rich and bathed in emotion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_181918.jpg Views:	19 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	130118

That lead to the inevitable question what was responsible for this emotional connection? My immediate reaction based on listening experience (and biases) was of course the tube preamplifier and amplifier. That sense of bounce and liveliness that good tube equipment can deliver. But with a little further reflection and discussion lead back to the cartridge and arm. Emotion can’t be created if not there to start with. It can only be destroyed at every step in the playback system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_181842.jpg Views:	19 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	130113

What next? What’s your desire? A little jazz you say? Sonny Rollins’ Saxophone Colossus? Let’s see. Yes, I have the Steve Hoffman, DCC reissue sitting somewhere on the DCC shelf. No, I don’t think I’ve played that album for 20 years. Cued that up and both of us sat in stunned silence. Sonny’s sax sounded so effortless and the music just flowed from the instrument. The midrange timbre was so spot on. The drums? ‘Nuff said about Max Roach’s playing. My visitor even commented he thought this sounded better than the recent AP reissue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_181856.jpg Views:	20 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	130117Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_181829.jpg Views:	19 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	130116Click image for larger version  Name:	20200112_181759.jpg Views:	19 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	130114

There was still some time left before my visitor so why not complete the circle with some classical music? We started of with the recent AP Living Stereo release of Shostakovich’s Cello Sonata followed by the new Audionaute Proprius reissue of Now the Green Blade Riseth concluding with AP 45 rpm Mercury reissue of Dvorak’s Violoncello Concerto. Intimate to expansive to thrilling. The Proprius, in particular, really shows off the importance of proper cartridge loading with its incredible sense of space. Too high a loading and one gets a great feeling of individual voices. But there’s something missing especially in comparison to reel-to-reel tape. Play around with the loading and presto there’s that sense of ambience hanging over the choir and defining the sense of hall. That sense that differentiates recorded music from real music.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

WIWT (Wish I was There ).
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Myles, what pressing is the Grace Jones?

Comment

I was just thinking yesterday about putting together my list of all time favorite rock songs/albums, LA Woman was like the first ones that came to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
          Myles, what pressing is the Grace Jones?
          Island ZTT 1985

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
            Steve Lefkowicz commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope to find one of those in good shape someday. The original Island LPs I have of Warm Leatherette and Nightclubbing are both great albums.

Originally posted by Don RMGI View Post
          I was just thinking yesterday about putting together my list of all time favorite rock songs/albums, LA Woman was like the first ones that came to mind.
          My choice would have been Riders on the Storm from LA Woman. But I’m not complaining.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Joe Pittman
            Joe Pittman commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be a fun Sticky topic. I love Raiders Of The Storm and hearing Jim Morison's whispering voice again in the background, so cool.

• JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            that would be RIDERS on the storm.

Great selection of music Myles!
          SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, Soundsmith Paua mkII
          DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
          PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
          PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
          AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
          SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
          CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Working...
          X