Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bose To Close 119 Retail Stores

In other words, most of them.

Bose plans to close its entire retail store footprint across North America, Europe, Japan, and Australia. The move will result in hundreds of employees being laid off.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

From the article.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/15/2...apan-australia
    Given the dramatic shift to online shopping in specific markets, Bose plans to close its remaining 119 retail stores across North America, Europe, Japan and Australia over the next several months. In other parts of the world, Bose stores will remain open, including approximately 130 stores located in Greater China and the United Arab Emirates; and additional stores in India, Southeast Asia, and South Korea.....................

Bose products are carried at Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Apple stores, other third-party retailers, and on the company’s own website.
    I think it was around 1993 when I discovered a Bose store in a large shopping mall, think it was one of the first outlet malls in the region.

I stuck around for what it seemed like forever to sit though a presentation in a dedicated home theater which was really a mini theater, stadium seating, side curtains, wall sconces the works.

At one point the salesperson asked the dozen or so of us "isn't that the best sound you have ever heard?"

Comically an elderly woman in front of me (I'm assuming hard of hearing) asked her son what the sales guy just said, the son told her and I could see her head shaking "yes it was", along with many others in the room.

Later the salesperson asked me why I wasn't nodding with the rest of them, and I was blunt about it, but only after the others left the room, I didn't want to be a bad guest.

The dedicated listening areas where only Bose could be heard with no comparative competition wasn't enforced at Adray Appliance in Dearborn MI in the late 1970's thru early 1990's, I think they were grandfathered in somehow. Anyway I had a chance to hear several Bose models along with some wall hung Jamo's against some better speakers of the day and fully understand their motivation, and think Jamo should have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by kach22i View Post
      From the article.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/15/2...apan-australia

I think it was around 1993 when I discovered a Bose store in a large shopping mall, think it was one of the first outlet malls in the region.

I stuck around for what it seemed like forever to sit though a presentation in a dedicated home theater which was really a mini theater, stadium seating, side curtains, wall sconces the works.

At one point the salesperson asked the dozen or so of us "isn't that the best sound you have ever heard?"

Comically an elderly woman in front of me (I'm assuming hard of hearing) asked her son what the sales guy just said, the son told her and I could see her head shaking "yes it was", along with many others in the room.

Later the salesperson asked me why I wasn't nodding with the rest of them, and I was blunt about it, but only after the others left the room, I didn't want to be a bad guest.

The dedicated listening areas where only Bose could be heard with no comparative competition wasn't enforced at Adray Appliance in Dearborn MI in the late 1970's thru early 1990's, I think they were grandfathered in somehow. Anyway I had a chance to hear several Bose models along with some wall hung Jamo's against some better speakers of the day and fully understand their motivation, and think Jamo should have done the same.
      First time I heard Bose 901s circa 1979 it sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over the speakers.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

When I was in college, one of the EE students on our floor had a system using Bose 901s as subs crossed over to a modified pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7. He had little stands on top of the 901s for the Minimus 7s to screw into. Ran it with a Marantz 2325 receiver and a Pioneer PL-19 table. No idea of the details of the crossover he built. Surprisingly nice sounding system. I bought a pair the Radio Shack speakers because of this.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        --------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Not surprised about the action to close most of their stores. The expense can’t be justified these days since they can sell everything they make online.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

First time I heard Bose 901s circa 1979 it sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over the speakers.
            I first heard the 901's about the same time, it was at a stereo store I forget where.

The salesperson asked me to enter the room with my eyes closed, then said keep your eyes close and point to where you think the speakers are.

I said I had no idea where they were, but they had to be tall ones because they sounded closer to the ceiling than the floor.

He said open your eyes, they had the 901's suspended on wires hanging from the ceiling.

Neat trick but I was not as impressed as when I heard the corner horns that energized the entire room. Now that was an experience.

Comment

From my understanding Bose is closing the stores mentioned but keeping stores open in Greater Asia and even expanding in India.

Whether we like it or not, it’s the start of the newer world that we are seeing. And as we progress other parts of the world will follow what we led, and it will be quicker for them to undergo change than we did and possibly improve on it quicker.

Soon enough, they too will be asking where is the low end in sound. Still lots of opportunity!

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
              Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
              Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
              Speakers: Wilson Alexias
              Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
              Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
              Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Comment

I also remember seeing B&O and Cambridge Audio stores in malls. They are both long gone.

Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

There's a B&O store across the street from the Staples Center at LA Live. I just stopped by it last month.
                  Steve Lefkowicz
                  Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

IMHO
                    "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement SE (ics), Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

Originally posted by shawnwes View Post
                      IMHO
                      I understand Bose’s motives, but it saddens me to know that people will be losing their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brf View Post

I understand Bose’s motives, but it saddens me to know that people will be losing their jobs.
                        or impetus for a career change, this industry always has room for talented people.
                        Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
                          There's a B&O store across the street from the Staples Center at LA Live. I just stopped by it last month.
                          My error. B&O stores are still around. Not as many as before, but still quite a few 35 in the US- looks like they are in the high rent districts - in California five stores, Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive, La Jolla, Santa Barbara, Costa Mesa and LA, the one Steve mentioned. None in the Bay Area.

Larry
                          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                            Steve Lefkowicz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've been to the one in Costa Mesa too, at the South Coast Plaza. The disappointing thing at the B&O store in LA, was how just how poor the sound quality was. I had read from several sources that the top line system was very good, but it surely didn't sound it in their showroom.

I first heard the 901s in the same sort of setup kach22i described. The listening room had the 901s suspended from the ceiling but the way they sounded the wires could have snapped and it would have not been a loss. Terrible sounding speakers. I was using Rectilinear IIIs at the time and my Rect IIIs blew the 901s out of the water. They were in different leagues. And the 901s cost more.

I was at the store to hear the first release of the ESS AMT 1. They were in the same listening room and the AMT1s weren't much better. The AMT1 tweeter was slow and sounded like the highs were stuck in the mud. While I was listening I heard something from the next room...now that was good sound!

I went next door and I was in the high end room with McIntosh and Citation electronics. The Speakers were Infinity 2000As with the row of RTR tweeters. I was ruined for dynamic drivers. Estats opened up a new dimension.

I eventually wound up getting into Magneplanars but the damage had been done by my desire to hear ESS AMT1s.

Ed
                          Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
                          https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime TT w/Walnut Plinth, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS Speed Ctrl, 3D Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift
                          Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup Transformer + Liberty Audio B2B-1 Phono Preamp, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
                          Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 High-res USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
                          Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
                          Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, Magnepan DW-M Planar Woofer, REL T9/i Subwoofer
                          Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro + SRM 1 MK II, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2
                          Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
                          Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

Working...
                          X