Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How The Other Side Listens

I’m sure at one time or another everyone has heard the joke:

Q: What’s cold and slimy and has no ears?
    A: A record producer

Well that’s not necessarily the case as many sweeping stereotypes go. Record producers-like audiophiles-come in all shapes and sizes and renowned recording engineer Rick Rubin is just one example. You may even knowing or unknowingly run into multi-Grammy award winning producer Rick Rubin walking the halls of one of your favorite audio shows or CES. Rick’s worked with a virtual who’s who of recording artists and is credited with resurrecting the career of Johnny Cash.

So what does Rick kick back and listen to when he’s not working and hanging out at his beautiful oceanside Malibu home?

Click image for larger version  Name:	57D262B5-ABF7-45B3-87F4-99372D5E4244.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	130598

As it turns out, Rick has been shopping around for a new high-end audio system and after hearing the Zellaton speakers just had to own them. So Rick hooked up with US Zellaton importer Gideon Schwartz, owner of AudioArts in New York City and put together this all out attack on the state-of-the-art in sound reproduction including FM Acoustics electronics, Zellaton Stage speakers and Schnerzinger cables (FYI, Zellaton is internally wired with Schnerzinger too!).

Icinic record producer Rick Rubin (left) with Gideon Schwartz (right) of Audioarts NYC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B92D01A-94B2-4D69-A0DE-1380C77D00D9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	130596

Rick’s new Zellaton Stage loudspeakers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8607C2A1-5B67-40F8-BDE9-53A7702290A9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	130599

Positioning the Zellaton Stages and fine tuning with Schnerzinger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3D7F5D30-B104-4C7A-B32F-E59D456D262B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	130600

David Hyman, former Beats Music CEO, Mog co-founder and now Unagi scooter mastermind. As another proud Zellaton owner, David assisted with years of experience in high-end audio and set-up acumen. (we’re also proud to count David as a member of this forum!).

Click image for larger version  Name:	50DFF7EE-3C1C-4A00-AAB9-A7A531C1F59E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	481.1 KB ID:	130597
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

very cool. I've bumped into Rick and his entourage roaming T.H.E. Show with Mikey in tow so I guess he's 'one of us' so to speak. I haven't heard the latest Zellatons but i liked them a lot when they were branded as Symphonic Line. Very resolving, low distortion or little sound of it own--they're perpetually on my list of 'serious' speakers to revisit.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

Comment

Very interesting. The typical case for classical musicians is that they don't generally have audiophile equipment at home. They do listen to different performances and many do listen to and perform jazz or pop music on the side, particularly the younger ones. One story I heard from two Decca engineers whom I interviewed for my Decca book was that back in the '70's the famed conductor Leopold Stokowski (who was already in his late 80's or early 90's) was signed on to do some recordings for Decca's Phase 4 label. He lived out in the country to the west of London and asked Decca for a high fi system to play back his records (including his Decca recordings). Decca sent out two of their recording engineers (the two I interviewed) to go to his home to set up the system. Stokowski was very grateful. So he didn't have a system in his home before that time.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Larry, any idea what equipment Decca chose for Stokowski?
        Myles, which pieces are in Rubin's new system aside from speakers and cabling?

Thx,
        Stan

Comment

Nothing in my notes about the type of stereo. Definitely played vinyl. Stokowski lived in Nether Wallop in Hampshire and Mike Mailes and John Dunkerley were assigned to set up the stereo system for him. His thank you note is in my Decca book in the article on Stokowski. He is overjoyed with listening to Bach and other recordings - ones he did for Decca in the years before his death.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
            Nothing in my notes about the type of stereo. Definitely played vinyl. Stokowski lived in Nether Wallop in Hampshire and Mike Mailes and John Dunkerley were assigned to set up the stereo system for him. His thank you note is in my Decca book in the article on Stokowski. He is overjoyed with listening to Bach and other recordings - ones he did for Decca in the years before his death.

Larry
            Jeff Day has a custom built pair of Altec's that were made for Stokowski, and may be part of that system.
            https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback...-votts-system/
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            --------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the great article. Looks like Stokowski sold the Altecs when he moved back to London in 1972 (noted in the article toward the end). So the Decca system looks like it was different. Stokowski was quite the ladies man. His first wife was the great pianist Olga Samaroff whom he married in 1911 when he was in his late 20's. He married third wife Gloria Vanderbilt (who would later have CNN news personality Anderson Cooper with another husband) when he was 58 and she was 21. Stokowski began his career conducting Samaroff in the Tchaikovsky piano concerto in 1908 and got a great boost in 1912 (with the help of Samaroff, one of the great pianist of that era) when he was appointed the music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra, which he held for 28 years (he famously was the conductor who Mickey Mouse meets in Disney's Fantasia). Olga Samaroff was from Texas and born Lucy Hickenlooper, changing her name to Olga Samaroff to further her career.
          Working...
          X