System Evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Evaluation

You’ve jumped on the audio emotional roller coaster; lucky you, grab a cigar your gonna go far 🤓

So now that your on this ride, what do you believe are your systems strengths and weaknesses?
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

I keep it simple: does it make me want to sit, listen and play record after record without analyzing anything? Nowadays im more holistic in my approach, I don't do the 'check list' thing anymore.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Audio Research | Wadia | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a

Comment

I'm going to bring a pen and pad to your exhibition tomorrow. I will sit and take notes. Maybe I can get Mike and Joe to do the same. We will post our observations online.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraFast69 View Post
        You’ve jumped on the audio emotional roller coaster; lucky you, grab a cigar your gonna go far 🤓

So now that your on this ride, what do you believe are your systems strengths and weaknesses?
        Next to your system mine would be relegated to the office as an also ran! However, other than that last octave of bass, micro inner-detail transparency and slam ability which only the best can bring I don't notice any real weakness & am quite happy. Put on Hoodoo Man Blues & Junior Wells is in the house & it glides through the cannon shots on the Telarc 1812 with ease! That's not to say I wouldn't opt for the big MBLs & a SAT arm if the lotto comes in tonight!
        Last edited by shawnwes; 02-01-2020, 04:22 PM.
        "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement SE (ics), Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

My system is, I think, exceptional at making music reproduction highly enjoyable and engaging. It’s very wideband and dynamic. It does, though, lack the a level of image specificity I have heard in even higher end systems.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I dont think I image well either. I have been working more toward a realistic instrument sound. I'm trying to get more speed and pratt. Cleaner more integrated bass. I have pretty decent scale. More watts would give more ease and probably increase the sense of scale.

Mine is getting as close as I can get with my financial and room limitations taken into account. With more money and a dedicated room???????? We work with what we have.
            PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
            Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
            Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Plenty to do but enjoying it and the ride
              it’s no longer a roller coaster 🎢 as now with analog as a guiding light.
              hope this makes sense
              analog stuff.
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
              sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
              thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
              kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
              phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
              speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
              mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
              digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

for my particular music reproduction viewpoint and sonic compass, my system is doing all the things i want it to do at the level i was aiming for. not claiming any universal agreement that it fulfills other's expectations, just mine.

strengths would be that is stays natural sounding while not having any dynamic or frequency response limitations top or bottom. the headroom of the room acoustics, amplification, and signal path exceeds music reproduction demands. and that my system is very synergistic and the music is coherent and balanced. music not just nice sound.

just my 2 cents, YMMV.

at this point in time my ears are satisfied and i have no issues i'm currently aware of to work on. but references for music playback are meant to be advanced. and i am ready and open to hearing something that reveals an area to improve. this is not to say that my system could not benefit and advance from this or that piece of gear, or tweak. but i am currently satisfied that nothing in my system is a weakness or limitation.

the commitment level to reach this point has been excessive, and not for the feint of heart. not the path i would recommend for many.
                https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Mike I’m really playing a lot of live music Lately it seems to have speed I’m enjoying
                  studio is nice but some live is just seeming closer to payers.
                  mtv unplugged vol 1 as an example
                  analog stuff.
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
                    Mike Lavigne commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hi Al,

agree that live recordings, when they are well done, are the consistently the best things we can hear on our systems. maybe the combination of more spontaneous emotional performances and less recording processing. the unplugged series are some of my favorites too.

glad you are enjoying it!

Mike

Mike yes I am big time and ty and all for always helping me.
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                  X