No announcement yet.

How to deal with humming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some info on types of dimmers http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Educatio...ingBasics.aspx
    I always make my cables with a shield drain only connected on one end, the side the drain shield is connected to goes towards the source component so and interference
    drains at the source end away from the CD player as an example. I've never had a hum issue with this setup and believe me there is a mess of cabling behind my equipment.
    Good Luck this can be frustrating to find.
    McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
    Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,
    Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

Here is more info.

1st. My dimmers are not an issue. I have noted many times, use Lutron Maestro 600 or 1000 dimmers. They have built in filters. I can turn as many dimmers on as I want and the lighting has no impact on my sound.

2nd My interconnects are fine. I tried a couple under optimum and adverse conditions. The issues remain constant across any interconnect.

i have isolated my refrigerator as a significant noise polluter. My preamp seems to be the only piece of equipment that is impacted by the noise. It appesrs to amplify it, and hand it to my amps.

I put my line isolation transformer in series with my refrigerator. It had a small to medium impact on noise. It should be blocking all dc from the refer. It won't block other types of noise riding on the ac waveform. Or somehow the noise goes airborn. I have not figured this part out yet. I am still trying to resolve the issue in totality.

Other gear does not seem affected by the refer.

Before i begin putting items such as a Shunyata Denali at my rack, I want to try wiring my refer with a shunyata noise reducing cable, or putting a couple shunyata defenders on rhe refer branch circuit. In short, blunt the noise at the source.

Or, I may need some emi, rfi type paper in my preamp or maybe in my refer motor box.. I dont yet know what the refer is putting out or how. As noted earlier, probably not dc per the transformer. And the noise, when the refer kicks on, is now mostly a crackle from the horns and a low warbler from the woofers.

kind of pisses me off a $6000 Sub Zero refrigerator creates so much noise polution.

The hum from my amps when in the system or with the inputs shorted is beginning to, in my mind, be a reault of high efficiency speakers and a high gain tube amp doing what some singe ended tube gear does.. Under no refrigerator operating conditions its not loud or heard at my chair. Its when that refer was running, all heck was breaking loose. The transformer partially resolved it.

Thanks all. Especially to Ampsandaounds technician Thomas who was texting with me for a couple hours as I broke down the situation. Also thanks to Richard and Grant from Shunyata who both took phone calls from me and helped me better understand where and how to look for the culprit.

I will let you know how I end up resolving the issue in the end. Hopefully at the source.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Your situation appears to be hopeless. Looking back at some of your posts dating back to 2016, you are still struggling with the exact same issues in 2020. People on this forum have bent over backwards to give you guidance and support, all to no avail. Periodically you claim victory and that you have finally slayed all of your noise/hum gremlins, but nothing ever really changes. Now we are back to dimmers and the refrigerator.

From 2016:

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
        I though I might share a few thoughts as I am the electrician who assisted Joe in keeping the unit NEC compliant. I also performed the actual conduit installation and landing of the wiring in the panel. I got into audio "again" about 5 years ago with a Rega Osiris and some Sonus Faber speakers. The Rega had a mechanical hum at my residence that was quite irritating. My audio dealer said I needed to upgrade my power. So, I searched around the internet, put some steel in my walls, #10 THWN wire and landed it all in Porter Port outlets. Wow, what a big change. Lots more power, bass, clarity, ease of play. So much nicer than 12/2 Romex ran all around the room to every outlet. Of course the hum was still there. Changing out all the cheap dimmers in my house helped a lot with that. Don't forget to use a Lutron Maestro dimmer on your under counter lights. The dimming switch on the actual light will send all sorts of harmonics into your power.

Not to long after the power install I bought a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 amp. After bouncing through a few preamps such as McIntosh and Airtight I heard of Emmanuel Go and bought a First Sound Preamp. Emmanuel is such a great person. He spent an afternoon teaching me the basics of tuning your system with power cords. At first I though the sound was going flat, but the last change was to my music server and the whole world opened up. I definitely understand how power affects the whole presentation of the music.

Joe's power supply was really something special to behold. The quality and craftsmanship is so top notch. All the parts are of the best quality with a lot of though behind the design. Joe is an expert with CAD and has top notch venders building his carbon fiber plates and acrylic enclosures.

I met Gary Koh at the latest Pacific Northwest Audio Society meeting. Gary has a deep understanding of power. His amps, speakers and cabling are wonderful. I can personally attest to his interconnects as Joe gave me one to try and it blows away my Analysis Plus. Gary knows cable and I'm sure the materials we used at Jazdoc's are far superior to what can be had at any supply house.

Both Joe and Gary talk about attaining open sound by utilizing as little shielding as possible. In the coming weeks I am going to remove the steel pipe to my system and replace it with PVC. I will run it that way for a while. As a next step I will try Gary's cable, or maybe work with Joe to build me a power box. I have a couple amp mods I need to complete too. A few cap changes and un-shielding some signal cable.

Of course there is nothing like hearing Jazdoc's setup to show you the inferior performance in your own system. I have never heard lips on the reed of a saxophone so exposed and natural. Its like the artist is there in the room with you. So clear, yet easy to listen to.

Best of listening to everyone.

From April 2019:
        https://www.tdworld.com/overhead-tra...wer-line-noise

This is a very interesting article on power line noise. I am calling my utility this week to see if they will help.

I testet my ground - 7 ohms. Thats good.

I turned every breaker off in my house accept for my audio. I disconnected my cable utility and associated ground. I put a shorting plug on the input to my amp. I pulled the ethernet from my server. No change in hum.

I drug my input shorted amp and speaker to the other end of my house and turned it on. Still hums. No change.

I'm pretty confident I can blamb the utility.
        From March 2019:

I have experimented with 2 line isolation transformers. A hospital grade triplite and a topaz ballanced unit.
        Either will mechanically hum and need to be mounted in a different room.
        my listening impressions were positive, especially if you have issues with the transformers in your amps mechanically making to much noise. The veil they over my CJ Premier was outweighed by the annoyingly loud hum. The veil was very mild. Took pretty concentrated listening to hear. The reduction in mechanical hum was pretty substantial.
        I did not like it on front end gear. Something was different. Did not listen long enough to understand what had shifted.
        The topaz did not work at all with my Altec 1570b amps. Loud noises, not right, what' going on, owe crap turn it off. After Modding my 1570b with much nicer coupling caps I found the designer had 0 chassis ground on my amp. With 930 volts in the unit, forget that. I grounded the amp frame. This does couple the signal to the ground. So what in my mind. I don' want to die. I could not hear any difference grounded either so I am happy. My point, I am going to try the topaz again with the though the lack of ground was causing the issues. Why try again, I have intermittent noise at my house. My amps will hum loud at different times of the day.
        Cut to this morning, I changed my power tubes 2 days ago as one failed. My amps are either significantly more quit from fresh power tutubes, or the power is not getting the usual sock of pollution it usually gets.
        I am going to mount the transformer a little different this time. Last time it was all steel pipe from panel to trans tto wall plugs. Yes I flex connected the transformer. This time it will be 10x2 romex x 8 feet to transformer to 12 feet ofc cord direct to a new power distribution strip in my listening room. If I really like the results, I will probably buy a couple furutec outlets Joe wants to move.
        From Oct 2019:

I don't want to be plugging gear to much, but I do like to share when I find something I believe provides a significant Improvement.

Recently a friend, ultra-fast, travel to Rocky Mountain audio. While there he ran into an engineer who used to be a member of Nordost. He was the engineer who designed the QRT products. He he is out on his own making a new power conditioning product. It's basically QRT products that have been upgraded with new technology. Note these are parallel connected products. They are not plug through type device.

Ultrafast has the entire QRT and QCore product line. Knowing how good the nordost equipment is, he decided to took advantage of some show price pieces. Needless to say he was extremely pleased with their performance. So much so he invested in a second round of the most basic devices to install in his server room. Before getting them to his house he brought them by my place. At the end of a couple hours of listening, ultrafast left my house but the product stayed with me.

The two most basic pieces are the symphony and the electric clear. The symphony is $375 and the electraclear is $75. At such a low entry price point these are two pieces you have to try regardless of how high-end your system is.

What did they do. It's subtle but it's significant. At first blush plugging and unplugging the symphony will result in a noticeable gain or drop in total system volume attenuation. That volume attenuation change upon further listening becomes apparent as a much greater sense of ease. Music flows more freely like a much more powerful amp is in place. The second change was my ability to play music at significantly higher volume levels with no fatigue. A few friends had been leading me to believe some of the fatigue may have been due to the horn not having a steep enough crossover slope and was distorting at higher volumes. This turns out not to be the case. The Third change and probably the most critical for me is a jump in attack and shift in tonality of instruments and voices. There is a palpable jump in aliveness and presence of the entire musical picture. It's so much more real and tangible. Bass lines really snap. They're no longer smooth and unnaturally burnished. They have a clean and tangible immediacy. Violins, pianos, voices, they all just sound more true to being there. Tone is much more spot-on.

For the last week I have been sitting for hours upon hours mesmerised at how wonderful the overall playback of my system has become. It's so much more musical than it has ever been. I'm really floored and feeling there's not much more for me to do than just sit back and enjoy.

With a total investment of $450 I can't see why anybody wouldn't try these products. I'm pretty sure there is 100% money back guarantee. But I highly doubt you would take advantage of it.

There are higher level parts and pieces. My understanding is the technology is the same. The more expensive components are simply a more powerful injection and realigning of the sine wave in you're electrical distribution. Ultra-fast is waiting on a wizard to be delivered to his house. We're interested to see what change that will bring. He currently has the symphony Pro. and two electraclear. If you think your stereo is too good to need these, I would urge you to reconsider. I wholeheartedly endorse these as one of the most positive power conditioning devices I've heard with zero negative consequences. Please note, these aren't for reducing hum. They did not alter any of that in my system. They are a power conditioning device but they do something totally different. They provide sonic alterations as I noted above.
        From Feb 2020:

Well, i thought i had my hum issues under control. There back. Part of the culprit is my dimmers and refrigerator. Not wanting to impact my sonics, has anyone effectivly used a noise reducing product they install next to the power panel and route your home lighting, refrigerator or other noisy devices through. Why not filter my own garbage from feeding back into my panel. If so, what device have you found to effectively deal with dimmer and motor noise.
        Thanks
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I was typing with a friend who like the idea of filtering the refrigerator noise before it hit my main distribution. He mentioned, maybe consider an industrial unit. Something not made for audio. I thought that interesting.
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Bro what happed to you lol.
            analog stuff.
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
            sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
            thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
            kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
            phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Have you tried a passive linestage?
              Aurender X100L, Esoteric Grandioso K1, The Truth linestage, Mara Machines MCI JH110 Reel to Reel 1/4" 2 track Hi-Fi version, Coincident M300B Frankenstein II amplifiers, 300B Psvane ACME Supreme 1% tubes, Coincident Triumph Extreme II speakers, Coincident Statement interconnects, Coincident Statement speaker cables, Coincident Nordost and Shunyata power cords, Coincident Statement USB, Element subwoofer with Behringer 24/96 crossover, Final Audio Design Sonorous X headphones, EMIA silver autoformer headphone volume control, Nordost Qbase8, Furutech FLUX 50 NCF and GTX-D NCF (R), HRS DPX Damping Plate, Tascam DA-3000/Mutec 3+ USB/SOtM 75 ohm, Mutec REF10, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50, ADD-POWR ElectraClear/Wizard/Sorcer x4.

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried a Allo Volt +D amp once. Class D. Dead, dead, dead quiet. Absolutely not a sound when setup with all my current gear and preamp. Music truly came out of a black background.

It's been so long since I had a Kosmic passive attenuator. No memory.

• lance002
                lance002 commented
                Editing a comment
                Would removing the active linestage with a passive one help, or did you isolate the issue solely with the amplifiers?

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                I have found a good chunk of the issue is the active preamp reacting wirh my refrigerator. I love my preamp. The tone, time , tempo is beautiful and sings with my amps and speakers. I dont find passive preamps as beautiful sounding. But now we are into personal taste. I'm going to do all I can to make what I have work. I'm pretry darn confident I can.

I could try turning off all my data equipment in the basement during the week when my wife is not home. They could be making pollution.
              How did that work out?

I used to live above an office, one day out of nowhere a hum appeared in the stereo and would not go away. I took my turntable into a shop and lucky me they would not take it in, did a test on the counter and it checked out okay. 35 years later I think it was new computer equipment or something of theirs downstairs. That hum was there 2-years until I moved, was there for 6-years overall.

Do you have a sump pump?

Do you have a well pump, septic grinder pump or water softener system?

One last and really out there thing, any wind turbines within five miles or ten miles?

A CBC TV Canada news program, I think it was the "5th Estate" several years ago covered the affect of wind turbines. Apparently they are grounded and the charges travel through ground water (a theory), and are blamed for cows not producing milk and people getting sick.

One dairy farmer claimed she could feel the electricity coming up from the ground, or maybe it was ultra low frequency sound.

BS or not, proximity to wind turbines has been lowering property values in Canada.

EDIT: Any military or aircraft activity near you?

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                At some point i will attack the last constant hum I hear when the amp input is shorted. I suspect the amp has a little hum with 96db speakers. But I really dont know. Currently turning the DAC and server off, pulling the 120v plug and cat 6 do nothing to the hum. That does not rule out high frequency noise from the data center impacting the amp via the PS. I do have Linear PS feeding my modem, router and switch. Turning my home desktop off does not impact sound either. The refrigerator is just plainly obvious. Low hanging fruit. Step by step.

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                Because you asked nice and I had some time this afternoon I tested what happens when I pull the power plug to my modem, router and switch. I even went through turning off my house computer again, as well as some back and forth with a couple fluorescent lights. Non of them had any impact on the noise in my audio system.

Guys read his post he is saying amps inputs are shunted and it Hums. Maybe it’s just me but it’s his amps. Tubes , caps or what ever but it’s not a grounding issue. He even lifted the ground and it’s still hums
              analog stuff.
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                I ordered a new set of power tubes today. I have the Genelex KT77 in now. I will try some more JJ KT88. I need a set of KT88 anyways so why not. Who knows. The remaining hum when the refer is turned off is very consistent between the 2 amps. It's not so loud it's disturbing. I wish it was not their, but its of a sufficiently low level I am happy to live with it, if it is a component of the equipment. Its when the refer runs I go crazy.

FWIW, I also bought a set of American Pro Decor Black Solid Steel Sliding Rolling Barn Door Hardware Kit for Double Wood Doors With Non-Routed Adjustable Floor Guides. I have a large pass through between my living/audio room and kitchen. The actual refrigerator noise in and of itself is annoying as can be. I am going to get a large panel of pretty worm wood and make a door to close off the kitchen from the audio room when listening.

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
              Guys read his post he is saying amps inputs are shunted and it Hums. Maybe it’s just me but it’s his amps. Tubes , caps or what ever but it’s not a grounding issue. He even lifted the ground and it’s still hums
              Agree based on what has been disclosed so far

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                There is a significant degree of change depending on conditions. I think my amps have some small amount of hum inherent to them. I believe the same of the CJ, Rogue, , Rega, Altec. They have all hummed. If you think they are perfect then great. That means I have some other gremlim to find and I can shunt all the noise.

Kcin, i read that link before but will indulge again. Our high end gear is more polluting and reactive than any of us may want to admit. Our quest for hyper detail, clarity, dynamics and so on require large power supply and circuitry that may not always play well with the environment that surrounds it. And according to some experts I have spoken with, our massive gauge, limitless power distribution systems actually allow amps and power supplies to express more noise on the line than a more compressed power distribution system. It makes sense when an engineer explains it.

This is a good definitive read on the subject its worth the effort:

http://web.mit.edu/jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Gr...andout.pdf
              Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting point on cheater plugs. If you use them and a fire burns your house down, you will most likly have no insurance coverage. You intentionally defeated the built in safety device.

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                An Insurance co. declining a claim because an appliance isn't tied to earth ground? I call BS. There are literally millions of appliances in use today without an earth ground. It would be safer if they were on a GFI protected circuit but the VAST majority aren't. Devotees of vintage audio (like a few of us here) will tell you its par for the course. Some of you youngsters that bought Audio Research gear new, back in the day, recall two extra items were also ways included in the box: a phillips screwdriver (to remove cover and install tubes) and a cheater plug (for obvious reason).

Cable company has me on a list. Once they have 2 venom NR, they will send me the pair. I do need to do a little more testing. I have turned off my dac and server, pulled the power cords, but never removed all single ended interconnect input at the same time.

A friend with a Denali is going to bring it over one day.

Something I have discovered is some filter fans I have in the house send vibrations throughout the entire structure. Since some of my hum is 60 cycle, the vibrations feom the fans attach too and compound the perceived noise, from the audio gear, even though its not coming from my rack or speakers.

Comment

My system is dead quiet even with 100 db sensitive horns. ground loop and hum issues in systems arise from differing ground potentials between components (plugging separate source components into different circuits is a no-no) assuming there are no wiring faults in the house circuit (reversed grounds, etc.) then its down to experimenting with different ground schemes like star grounding buses, cheater plugs (yes I said it). I once had a horrendous ground hum coming through the subwoofer half of Vandersteen Quatros while driving them with Quicksilver mono amps. The solution was to connect a ground wire to the amps chassis directly to a grounding post on the speakers back plate. The hum disappeared completely. I've used this device with success, my present setup notwithstanding: https://www.musicdirect.com/power/gr...io-ground-zero

Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Audio Research | Wadia | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a

"A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know when when you are wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Rex I’m a lisc electrician and electrical engineer as well. if I went strictly by codes it Hums. Here is one more way to help you. But line isolation devices. Made for audio it’s legal to use them. No cheaters needed.
                  Jenson iso max work wonders.
                  but did you fix the hum on amps alone with inputs shorted ? This rules out amp issues of not your chasing your own tail. A dinali is a good device for over all line noise. It does nothing for ground loops nor defective devices. you seem to fixate on issues outside of your audio devices. Next explain to me how a cheater can cause a fire or nullify an ins claim. It’s fine to choose not to use them. In fact you can fix all without them. But this takes time and a plan. A bouncing ball in a room only breaks things even if it does hit the right object.
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Kingrex
                    Kingrex commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dont know per se the cheater causes the fire, but the fire department and insurance company may walk the burned structure. You intentionally removed a safety device.

For me, im more worried about electrocution. My Altec operate at 900 volts. My Ampsandsound 500 something. I have been hit with 480 volt across 2 fingers. Holly FFFF. High voltage is no joke.

I don't see any indication from all I have tested and posted that I have a ground loop. Why does everyone go there. Am I missing something. What did I post that points to a ground loop.

yes Al, the amps have a slight hum with the inputs shorted. Its easy to hear with your head at the speaker. Hard to hear from your seat. The room has to be dead quiet to hear from your seat.

With the entire system on, phono includes now, at optimum conditions there is a slight hum with your head at the speakers. Its hard to hear any hum from the listening chair. It has to be very quiet in the room and you have to listen for it. If the refer turns on the whole thing changes. Sometimes at night it jumps up too for no reason. Mostly an annoying crackle in the horns or a deep warble.
                  This morning playing records, and the digital is all powered up (always on) its super quiet. I xan barely hear a sound at my chair

My understanding of electrical circuits is a fault is a fault. They dont just go away unless they burn the offending conductor appart. They don't usually come and go, unless say heat or warer is making a contact make and break.???????

Comment

Ok full disclosure I used to assist on arson fires at one time. I did this after my company was involved in a lawsuit on a row of houses I did and one caught fire
                    no power was in the house as local utility had not provided power.
                    I was being suited for an a proposed electrical fire not kidding.
                    As for your amps of they hum on inputs shorted at tjr speakers please do this and post
                    connect speakers to amps
                    remove any grounding add on you may be using
                    plug your amps into a norm wall outlet.
                    no outlet strips , ISO’s or anything just into a wall outlet
                    shunt the amps
                    before you turn on amps note any noise at tjr speakers
                    use a log book
                    then turn on amp take note
                    then shut amps off and remove any tubes prior to output tubes this means any tubes
                    take note
                    next remove one channel tubes take note
                    then do the next channel
                    post results then we move on to next group.
                    If you don’t do this I can help ok.
                    analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Kingrex
                      Kingrex commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmmm. Your looking for resonant noise. Maybe microphone pickup of vibrations by tubes. Why would the speakers amplify the sound whan off.

I need some time to work through this. In all honesty, my room is probably 43 or more bd ambient noise. I may not be able to hear much. But I will try

• Kingrex
                      Kingrex commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My technician said its ok to pull the tubes and fire up the amp. I have not had a good quiet moment to try all this yet.

I did plug my amp direct in a wall socket with the input shorted. I then stuck a Shunyata defender in and out. No change in any hum. But, it is very quiet as far as noise today. With all my audio running I can barely hear hum at my chair if I listen for it.
                  Working...
                  X