How to deal with humming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rex rhere is all kinds of fee back in tubes
    also I never say no ground only an isolated path for your audio.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Disconnect your cable main or cable feed to this area of ur system if present

Comment

Ok
        rex im a friend in this ok. I may seem distressed ar times it’s my nature to fix things lol. Enjoy your system
        analog stuff.
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Ok, I shorted the power amp input and plugged the amp into a general wall outlet. The power tubes are always in.

With no driver or preamp tube in. Absolutely silent.

With just a driver, no preamp tube, Absolutely silent.

with just a preamp tube, no driver, absolutely silent.

I went ahead and deox the pins on the preamp and driver tubes. Time of day, deox, who knows. Amp shorted, pkugged into general wall socket, pretty darn quiet. I can't hear it at my chair. I can hear it at the driver and say 6 feet back.
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Rex is this an inter graded amp premap ? Of it is how is it at just above a max volume with inputs shunted ?
            does lowering or raising the vol effect the hum
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Kingrex
              Kingrex commented
              Editing a comment
              The amps are strait up monoblocks. 1x12AXa7, 1x6SN7, 2XKT77 or other variant power tube.

My preamp is also duel mono. Independent power supplies, independent grounds, independent volume stepped ladders etc, just share a case.

The boosted noise when the preamp is powered up is pretty constant until I get the volume quite high. Then the distortion/hum gets louder.

Preamp has 1xE88cc and 1x0A2 per side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_191543.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	131771
            PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
            Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
            Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Name:	20200216_191847.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	131773 preamp and power suppliea Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_191857.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	131774

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post

I went ahead and deox the pins on the preamp and driver tubes. Time of day, deox, who knows. Amp shorted, pkugged into general wall socket, pretty darn quiet. I can't hear it at my chair. I can hear it at the driver and say 6 feet back.
                So is this good or bad? Maybe time to try some new or at least different tubes??

Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
                Pass Labs INT60
                Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
                REL S3
                Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
                Torus IS5

Comment

• rbbert
                  rbbert commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And how do you know they are $365 each?? They could just as easily be twice that, or half that. NOS tubes change price all the time, even from the same dealer. There are a number of people here with a variety of lightly used highly regarded 6922/E88CC/E188CC/Cca tubes who could probably help you out for less than $730/pr. Same goes for your power tubes.

• Kingrex
                  Kingrex commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been using Upscale audio tubes
                  His Tele never go down in price, only up. 2 weeks ago they were $365 each. I tried tele from 2 other people and got ripped off. Kevin has the real deal.

My setup likes the tele. I tried nunerous others. Im not totally opposed to othere. Siemens almost worked well. Just the tele are extended both e ds and very clear.

• rbbert
                  rbbert commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which ones are they? There are quite a few Telefunken 6922 varieties from the '60's, though all are probably very good. Any reputable tube dealer gives a no questions asked money-back guarantee, and Telefunkens are fairly easy to verify (on-line databases for the manufacturing codes)

Wow that’s a lot of hours. I can’t say if tubes as they age get noisy I’m not a tube expert. Is the heater AC or dc of These tubes ? If it’s dc this over time polarizes then Heater element. If it’s AC this can cause hum of caps or other components used for bad.
                Rex I’ll call you today ok.
                for now deflne quite please
                Also why do you say preamp in the amps.
                mid it’s at the amp input it’s a buffer not a preamp.
                amps on inputs shunted
                only output tubes take note
                at Speaker 🔈
                at 6 feet
                add driver tubes do as above take note
                add input buffer tubes do as above
                this will help me clarify things.
                keep this in mind this is the actual noise floor with no signal and it should be silent so any noise is not to be there.
                Also shut off all nearby stuff off.
                do the amps both sound the same ?
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Generally speaking I dislike kibitzing a thread, but this one is so obvious I feel I have to throw it out there. With all your work and experimentation with power, cables, etc, you might have overlooked what will make the biggest change in your system's sound; simply rolling your various tubes. Even high quality NOS 6922's will probably sound more different than different cables, and I suspect this is also true for your power tubes. Just a thought.
                  Pass Labs INT60
                  REL S3
                  Torus IS5

Comment

i thought Kingrex was a master electrician? and he's dealing with hum and noise?

not to intrude on the subject, but this is becoming comical to me

Name:	image (3).gif
Views:	105
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	131788

Comment

Name:	20200217_091517.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	131801Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_091548.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	131802Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_091601.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	131803

Comment

• rbbert
                        rbbert commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need to turn the 3rd photo just a bit to show the date and factory code... These appear to be 2 or 3 notches down from the "best" Tele 6922's (which may be nearly impossible to find NOS today)

This tube is what find works well in my system sonically.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                        This tube is what find works well in my system sonically.
                        Are you going to give us a picture of the factory and date code so that we can see what tube you are talking about?
                        Pass Labs INT60
                        REL S3
                        Torus IS5

Comment

Name:	20200218_090237.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	131840Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_090143.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	131841Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_090115.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	131842

Comment

Working...
                          X