Who's system is dead quiet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's system is dead quiet.

I'm curious. Who out there has a system that is absolutely dead quiet. I know Mike Lavignes is. I heard it. No one else I know has a system devoid of noise when no music is playing. If you have a system that is totally silent, what do you think helped get it there. Is it the electronics. Is it power conditioners. Is it just dumb luck.

If you do have noise, why do you think that is?
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

My system is totally quiet even at max. listening volume. You can not hear anything even with the ear on speakers. A proof that good designed tube equipment can be totally silent. My ex Karan KAM2000 solid state monsters were never even remotely silent. New generation conrad-johnson power amps and Zanden amps and preamps, made a huge improvement (also) in this department. No power conditioning was necessary in my case but grounding certainly helps.
    Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

My main system is dead quiet be it with the solid state mono power amps or the hybrid stereo power amp along with a tube phone stage. I have a dedicated line. No active power conditioner is involved with the exception of a small Torus TOT AVR which is solely dedicated to my Studer tape deck as I want it to run at 220V and not 230/240V as it was designed at the time where 220V was the norm in Europe. I have an Ansuz power distributor which is quite effective with an internal star grounding configuration.

I am currently building a small secondary system with a SET integrated amp and I will work at making it dead quiet as well.

Comment

I have never had any system with residual noise. I'm an audio repair technician by trade, so that may have something to do with it. Whenever I set up a system, and I do find a noise, I can typically find and fix it within a few minutes.

For example, I once bought a Carver Sunfire subwoofer. It caused my system to have a 60Hz noise when connected up. Tried lifting the ground pin on the AC cord. No change. Tried reversing the AC cord orientation. No change. I decided to isolate the audio ground of the Carver from the audio ground of my system, so I found an old mic transformer and connected it between the line out of my preamp and the line in of the Carver. No change. So the only thing left was to isolate the power line for the Carver. So I grabbed a 120 volt isolation transformer I had at work, connected it up and my system was back to dead quiet. I later found out that it was a common problem with that particular Carver subwoofer I had. Had to do with the fact that it didn't have any power transformer inside. The subwoofer amp ran directly off the power line: it was just a poorly designed switching power supply.

-Tim Leinbaugh
        -Professional RTR restoration and modification for 45 years.
        [email protected]
        www.MusicTechnology.com

Comment

Yup quiet here & vinyl centric system.
          "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement SE (ics), Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

So Rex did you hang yourself yet lol. Please don’t. I can hear a his in my woofer towers with my ear to them. On my mid tweet towers not silent either. On phono it’s louder and on the bal input less. On the dacs it varies. But at 2 o’clock that is above My max I ever turn my premap up to. It’s tiny at the divers ear to them. Even if I select a non used input it’s still tiny at the drivers at 2 o’clock. But if it’s way below the noise floor in my world it’s ok. Now as speaker is Higher in eff it’s more important to you then me. Horn drivers are good st making at making noise for this.
            I have said I’ll help and feel very confident to fix it or point to the issue. But it must be done in a Method I’ll pick and we log efforts no hoping allowed lol.
            analog stuff.
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
            sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
            thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
            kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
            phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

some hum and hiss at full gain (preamp volume set to five o'clock) but at normal to loud settings ( ten -12 o'clock ) totally quiet.
              Last edited by JCOConnell; 02-15-2020, 03:57 AM.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

If I leave the notebook I use as a server off (fan noise, not noise heard through the speakers) my system is as quiet as I've ever gotten. The Pi Audio Uber Buss made a huge improvement in that regard. If the preamp is on a line level input i can't hear any noise at full volume. From the phono stage there is the slightest hiss if I am within an inch or two of the speaker.
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                --------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

You know. One day Im gonna build a new house. Before I purchaee the land, i'm putting a contingency my stereo is non reactive to the power.

You all are blessed with quiet system's. I must have done something in a past life. Heck, I came back as a human, not a dog. Wasn't that punishment enough.
                  PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                  Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                  Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Valvet | Wadia | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a

Comment

If I put my ear right up to the speaker, I can hear a slight hiss, but I can't hear it from my listening position. And when I'm listening to a classical piece and it goes dead quiet, I hear nothing but silence. So ... yes and no. The system's not dead quiet, but it might as well be. Dave

Comment

When on Aux inputs you can't tell the system is on, same with phono at a conversational level when the stylus is lifted from the LP surface.

At a rock'n level I get a gentle hiss which on phono is only audible if the stylus isn't in the grooves.

Kingrex what sort of noise are you getting?

Comment

• Kingrex
                          Kingrex commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You know Ralph. Its actually 120 hert hum. Not 60. It's getting worked on now. If it fails to be resolved, I will look at another amp some day.

If it were a slighr hiss at the speaker I would not care.

In my room, if you sit still.... you can hear your own heart beat.

My room is quieter than Mike's. It's purposely built to keep sound in/out.

Comment

• Kingrex
                          Kingrex commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What if you can't hear your heart!!!!!🌝

• Bruce B
                          Bruce B commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I also have an AED.. !!!!

So, after I posted my response above, I swapped out my Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso amp for my Jolida JD1000P, and ended up with a slight ground hum (but audible at my seat). After a week of rerouting cables and trying all sorts of extra grounding cables, I took the Jolida out and installed my Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, and everything is back to being quiet. Just a little more hiss within a couple inches of the speaker than with the Burson, but nothing I can hear even a few feet away.
                        Steve Lefkowicz
                        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• Kingrex
                          Kingrex commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What makes you think is a ground loop and not an equipment problem. I chased my sysrem for years. I finaly broke down and had an independent tech service my amp. Sure as can be, he heard the noise. Tried a bunch of common fix but nothing worked. During the interim I had a class D SS amp running and the silence was shockingly peaceful. I'm surprised how negatively a noisy piece of gear can impact you.

• Steve Lefkowicz
                          Steve Lefkowicz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've had the amp for close to 10 years, and have never had an issue with 60/120 Hz hum before. The noise profile matches what I always get with a ground issue. Otherwise, nothing says it might not be the amp has developed an issue, but until I assure myself it isn't a ground issue I'm not going to worry about other stuff. I've got several amps to choose from and I rotate them in and our regularly.
                          As the old saying goes "When you hear hoofs, don't think zebras."
                      Working...
                      X