Cost of selling audio gear on Audiogon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of selling audio gear on Audiogon

Although I had been using Audiogon from when it was free to list and sell things, I haven't tried it in a while. Listing stuff on eBay is free but they get you on percentage of the shipping and also 10% of the final sale amount.

What's the real cost of selling on Audiogon?

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
    Although I had been using Audiogon from when it was free to list and sell things, I haven't tried it in a while. Listing stuff on eBay is free but they get you on percentage of the shipping and also 10% of the final sale amount.

What's the real cost of selling on Audiogon?
    Say what?? FeePay charges you for every damn thing. I remember when Audiogon used to charge a flat $2.00 rate for listing an ad and they received nothing from the sale. Now you pay $4.00 for a basic listing and they get another cut at the end:

Seller fees are the various costs and charges incurred in listing an item on Audiogon. There are two types of fees a seller may be expected to pay.

The first type is the Listing Fee. Listing fees are the cost associated with placing an ad or auction on Audiogon. Presently, the cost of a Basic ad or auction is $4.00 for Private users. Premium Listings are determined by the item’s list price. Additional options are available for additional costs as labeled while posting.

The second type of seller fees are Transaction Fees. The transaction fees are only applied to Basic listings if the item listed is sold. They are equal to 2% (min $2, max $195) of the reported sale price and will be expected to be resolved before any further ads may be posted.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Their fee is 2% up to a certain threshold. If you're selling an item over $3k you're better off paying the flat $25 and have the ability to exchange telephone numbers, email. etc with your buyer. Audiogon and I have a love hate relationship, they slapped my wrist for requesting a wire transfer with a basic listing and said I had I strike against my account for breaching the terms of their agreement which I never saw or couldnt read because it was written in 6 point LOL. A recent sale resulted in a non-sale and A'gon refused the credit back the 2% fee I paid ($23) I did get 4$ bucks for the cost to list! (big deal).
      TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I hate both Audiogon and Ebay equally as a seller.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

thanks Mark and Rob.
          so is the flat $25 for Transaction Fee or you would pay $25 instead of the $4 for listing fee but don't pay transaction fee. If this is the case, seller is taking a chance the item will sell for certain.

Comment

And nothing is ever certain unless your price is so low it's absurd. Audiogon has more tire kickers than idiots at a car lot.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              snort!

Ebay fees are HIGH
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I have been having some limited luck on US AudioMart No charge except for PayPal fee and if the buyer insists you pay for shipping. And of course that is after you lower the selling price too. I have several items I'd love to unload but they are old, still effective today, but I would have to sell very very low which equals zero or less after fees.
              TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
              Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                Their fee is 2% up to a certain threshold. If you're selling an item over $3k you're better off paying the flat $25 and have the ability to exchange telephone numbers, email. etc with your buyer. Audiogon and I have a love hate relationship, they slapped my wrist for requesting a wire transfer with a basic listing and said I had I strike against my account for breaching the terms of their agreement which I never saw or couldnt read because it was written in 6 point LOL. A recent sale resulted in a non-sale and A'gon refused the credit back the 2% fee I paid ($23) I did get 4$ bucks for the cost to list! (big deal).
                I'm confused. This is the Audiogon table for selling used equipment and what I paid recently. The only bonus is that if the component doesn't sell in the first month, you get the second month for free.
                $10
                $1 — $999
                $25
                $1,000 — $1,499
                $50
                $1,500 — $3,499
                $100
                $3,500 — $9,999
                $150
                $10,000+
                In part, they were forced to implement this strategy because people went behind their backs and sold stuff offline or just didn't pay the fees after the gear was sold. Also in part, there was a big changeover in who was running Audiogon (I think everyone remembers that period of turmoil) and thought they could make a fortune.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Or opt for a Basic listing and make a $4 payment upfront and only pay a small 2% transaction fee
                  if your listing sells"

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Or opt for a Basic listing and make a $4 payment upfront and only pay a small 2% transaction fee
                    if your listing sells"
                    OK I somehow missed the small print.
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

So, if I were to list an item for $3,495, I have an option of paying $50 flat fee and hope that it sells within two months or pay $4 and take a risk at selling and paying $70 commission (2%) if it sells within a month. However, if the item doesn't sell, I am out of $4 on commission option whereas I'm out of $50 if the item doesn't sell within the allotted time period on fixed cost model.

Then it's the question Mark brought up - the price of the item has to be approaching give away level to make the sale...

Comment

Dang it, it happened to me again. After opening this thread for the first time this morning, I wrote a response, hit "Post Reply" and it started to delay and went South on me...

What I said...was-

The two listing models are for an example $3499 item:

1) Fix price option - pay $50 to list. Hope you had priced it at a no-brainer-level and it will sell within two months. If not you are out of $50. If it sell the transaction had costed $50.
                        2) Commision option - pay $4 to list. Hope your item will sell in one month period. If not you are out of $4. If it sells, the transaction cost is ~$74 for 2% of the final price.

Thus, it goes back to Mark's point, the price you put on the item has to be near give away price to make it happen.

Note: my earlier response is posted as well...

Comment

If it doesn't sell you get one 'free' re-list with the flat fee option and can specify whichever payment method you prefer. You also get to freely exchange emails and phone numbers which can facilitate a sale much faster. With the commission option you must use paypal exclusively and will not be able to exchange email address or phone number until after a purchase is made.

Comment

The moral to the story is only buy gear on Audiogon and FeePay and sell gear on audio forums.

Comment

Working...
                            X