A Millennial Set Me Straight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Millennial Set Me Straight...

"Vintage-that's what old people call the crap they won't throw away".

Comment

Some of that old crap is still better than any of the new crap. Or at the very least has more soul.

Comment

There seems to come a point where the stuff you have stored in a box becomes valuable. It's usually when the people who grew up with it turn 50-60 or thereabouts and grow nostalgic. That's when you pounce on their memories and sell it. If you hold onto it longer than that you will find the next generation doesn't remember those things and doesn't care either. Of course you can keep them for another 100 years when they become true antiques, but then again, you may not need the extra cash at that point.

Comment

I went with fully restored vintage because I like the sound. Click image for larger version

Name:	Sansui AU-7700.png
Views:	233
Size:	830.8 KB
ID:	148364 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	148365

Comment

Comment

that sansui looks sharp
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                that sansui looks sharp
                Thank you very much.

Comment

There is a popular misconception that new means better. That is why the market for antique furniture has dropped - the millennials would rather pay more for Ikea particle board crap than for solid wood furniture that has lasted 100-200 years already.

While in the high tech environment new often does mean added features, it isn't always so in audio. The magazine reviewers don't last long if they say that a brand new unit from an advertiser doesn't sound as good as a twenty year old piece of gear, so they parse levels of goodness more and more finely until, presumably, they disappear up their own butts in a puff of smoke.

I always enjoy the chance to listen to vintage gear - it shows me where we came from and sometimes how little distance we have travelled.
                  Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner, Moon 280D DAC

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS, Hegel HD12 DAC

#3 Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

Comment

I’m sure his iPhone and ear buds sound amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X