Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Ever Thought About Selling Your Audio Gear and Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Ever Thought About Selling Your Audio Gear and Music?

I guess it would be hard to imagine now after 40 plus years of the hobby.

I did though consider selling all my gear but not my records after my divorce back in 2003. After all, one can always replace the gear but not the records. I did, however, go without the system for around two years, my only source of music being my portable Sony Discman. Hurray for that! But when all was said and done, sanity prevailed and here we are another 20 years later.

Anyone else go through a period of audio estrangement or leave the hobby altogether and eventually return?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

I think when my current batch of equipment wears out I will scale back.

That being said, I’m thinking of a new disc player if my Ayre C5 is too much money to keep running. It’s nearing its last spin after 16 years of service.

Comment

No, I haven't. There was a period of almost 20 years where I didn't upgrade, but I loved my system back then too.

Comment

I have in the past when overseas made do with a boom box, then a Walkman, then a Discman over the years. Later on when traveling for work desktop speakers and my laptop. My music collection isn't going anywhere. The system may change but I don't plan on ever doing without.

Comment

Went without a system when I left NOLA for Honolulu. I think I was six years years without. Can't imagine going without again.

Comment

Considering scaling back to a smaller more modest system, but will always have something.

Comment

when I sobered up after binging on gear and vinyl I sold it all off around the mid nineties. The biggest regret is selling off the records, not all of them but at least 2/3rds were real treasures. I don't have the time or inclination to replace most of them at this point in my life
              TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARMS Graham Phantom III + Ikeda IT-345 CR-1 | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Ikeda 9TP + Koetsu Black Goldline Mono + Decca London Jubilee | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

Comment

I didn't have a stereo from 1995 till 2012. I did play a lot guitar during that time. In 2007 the guitar playing stopped and in 2012 or so I bought a stereo.
                PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Custom SET 845 monoblocks, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Sort of I suppose. My wife and I, both 70 plus, have a deposit on an independent living to assisted care living place about a half hour away from our current home. There will be a small reduction in living space when the move happens. Will I want to take my records? Will I want smaller speakers? Will I want no speakers? Will I be happy listening to headphones only? Will I be happy in a strictly digital world? So am I contemplating getting rid of my system? Not entirely. Sort of I suppose.
                  TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                  Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Years ago, when I lost 90% of hearing in my left ear overnight, I was seriously thinking about selling everything, but my wife said “Absolutely not!” Three days in the hospital and one month of medical treatment latter, I regained the hearing completely but that incident was an excellent remainder not to take everything in life for granted…
                    Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      thank your lucky stars the hearing came back.

Nope, not in the 51 years since I got my first serious stereo (AR table, ADC XLM cartridge, Dyna SCA-35 and A25 speakers, Concord R2R - much of which was rapidly upgraded ). Over the years I have made some interesting sacrifices to make sure I had enough music and high-enough reproduction quality.
                    Tascam BR-20
                    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
                    Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
                    MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
                    Pass Labs INT60
                    Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
                    REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
                    Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
                    Torus IS5
                    Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

I am 62 and I just sold my Feickert Blackbird mainly due to the weight, I have a torn muscle in my left arm and it is difficult to move it I have multiple turntables and some are very close to the sound of it. As I get older I do think about the burden of leaving all my stuff to family

Comment

OH, YES. To Downsize even more , I've even sold off some rather nice guitars. When I retired years ago, my other hobbies took control of my audio and I spend more time outside, playing golf, fishing and kayaking with the wife and other friends.
                        Chris
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

If we ever downsize houses I will have to downsize both the systems and the music. But I can’t imagine doing so until I’m forced to 🤪
                          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

At 64 years old things are getting a little heavy and so I have thought about downsizing but, I will always have a system. Maybe smaller speakers and less sources...

Comment

Working...
                            X