Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was The First Audiophile Audio System You Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was The First Audiophile Audio System You Owned?

Man I was on top of the world back then with my Dahlquists. Circa 1980.

Dahlquist DQ10 speakers (bought with money received as wedding gift!)
    Musical Concepts Modded Hafler DH200 amplifier
    Hafler DH101 (later van Alstine modded) preamplifier
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    JVC 7045 arm (with adjustable VTA and at the time, Peter Aczel's darling)
    Grace F9E cartridge
    Nikko Gamma V tuner
    BIC T3 cassette deck
    Assorted Monster cable
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

PS Audio 4H preamp, the "new" AR table with Sumiko MMT arm, Denon MC cartridge with matching SUT, Hafler DH-220 power amp with van alstine power supply mod, and my own design transmission line two way speakers with huge transmission line subs.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ever pick up and TV stations on your PS Audio preamp?

My first serious audio system were Goldmund dialogue loudspeakers with the Audio Innovations second (integrated) tube amp. At that time I was still using an old Thorens turntable with a very simple ortofon cartridge. And believe it or not: the system made music and was a lot of fun!

Comment

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "audiophile." In 1973 or so, I had a Phase Linear 700 and Double Advents, wired in series, running a Panny SP-10 table and a Quintessence preamp. (The Quintessence wasn't common then and is largely forgotten now). By 1974-5, that had morphed into an ARC SP-3-a-1, Dual 75a (which I still own!) and a pair of Quad 57s. I kept using the Panny table for a long time. I have a photo -probably a Polaroid- of the front end. I'll try to scan it and post it. That was what- 40 plus years ago? Yikes!

Comment

Definitely NOT high end but this is the first system I bought with saved up from allowance centavos.

SL-1200 Mk2
        Cheapest Pioneer integrated
        AR Rock Partner monitors
        a Sony Discman
        free giveaway ICs and 14g wire from the nearby hardware store

When I started working and moved up to saving pesos I jumped into HT.

Toshiba DVD
        Onkyo Integra
        B&W 600 series and later Energy Veritas
        BUnch of monitors and integrateds in the bedroom from SETs, PP to SS

First Separates

ML No3 series components and Revels F30s then Maggie 1.7QR

on to tubes....

Von Schweikert VR-4s with BAT electronics and VPI turntables last one being a fully spec'd at the time HRX, kept the Levinson DAC

been Von Schweikert ever since going through 3 versions of the 4, two of the 5, two of the 9s and finally (i hope) the 11 Mk2s.

biggest regret: selling my Unifield 3 loudspeakers.

guilty pleasures: I still have a pair of original SL-1200 Mk2s and a pair of slightly modded SL-1200 M5G for DJ play albeit I play mostly digital now with Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus decks.

Comment

1st- Stanton gyropoise turntable, kenwood ka-3500 integrated amp and epi 180 speakers (1976).

2nd- rega planer 2, grace 707, nad cartridge, nad 1020 preamp and acoustat monitors with servo charge amps built in (1982)
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          -
          Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
          Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
          Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
          Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
          Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
          Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
          Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
          Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
          Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

The very first music system I had was pretty much an all-RatShack/Realistic system. I was 17/18 and lived on my own in a small basement apartment. Probably had about 50 LPs, most of which I still have. Moved on to Pioneer components, Optonica (from Sharp), Kenwood (for their tuner), BIC Venturi and Revolver. It was a lot of fun!
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

first system, well first real system back in the early early 70's. While going to college up the road at UF, I was working at Ocala Music and Marine. He sold Marantz and Pioneer along with Fender and Gibson amp and guitars and VOX. I got myself a good deal on a Marantz Mode 32 amp, feed by a Marantz model 24 a pre-amp tuner combo feed by a Thorens TD150 ( I think hell I'm not sure but my cart could have been a Ortofon 520). Sounded pretty good way back. I had AR3a's and my room mate had JBL L100's. Man we rocked or thought we did.
              Chris
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by cpp View Post
                first system, well first real system back in the early early 70's. While going to college up the road at UF, I was working at Ocala Music and Marine. He sold Marantz and Pioneer along with Fender and Gibson amp and guitars and VOX. I got myself a good deal on a Marantz Mode 32 amp, feed by a Marantz model 24 a pre-amp tuner combo feed by a Thorens TD150 ( I think hell I'm not sure but my cart could have been a Ortofon 520). Sounded pretty good way back. I had AR3a's and my room mate had JBL L100's. Man we rocked or thought we did.
                Oh, you definitely rocked!

Comment

First "audiophile" system I had access to was my father's Sony all in one integrated system incl TT, receive, and speakers. He bought an Advent cassette deck to use with it. I was a sophomore in college and living at home. Loved that little system.

First "audiophile" system I owned consisted of a Philips TT, Kenwood receiver, and a pair of Gensis Loudspeakers-not the Arnie Nudell Genesis BTW. Loved that system too.
                  TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                  Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

my mom bought us our first real system in the late '70s it was for my two siblings and me, I put the most miles on it (surprise). It was a Dual direct drive w/ Ortofon cart, and a stack of Onkyo separates (integrated amp, cassette deck and tuner) with Infinity 3-ways that had emit ribbon tweeters.

My first component system I bought for myself, still in college was a pair of Magnepan IICs, Bryston 3b and Kinergetics KCD 20 CD player with volume control, I could bypass a preamp and go straight into the amp.

Lots of 'upgrading' happened with in a year to where I realized I couldn't stand CDs and bought a Sota Sapphire TT and discovered the wonders of tube amplification. A TON of shit has happened since then, I forgot about more gear I've owned than gear I can remember owning but I do have a better recollection of what a certain record cost me or the toil I went through to acquire it.
                    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

After graduating from that awful Pioneer tower (though the R2R was a RT-707?)..... it was

Amp - Hafler
                      Pre - Apt/Holman
                      TT- Denon
                      Cart - Empire?
                      Cass - Tandberg
                      Graphic EQ - Soundcraftsman
                      Speakers - Mag MGII

Comment

Circa 1975 when I spent all my money earned from repaving driveways while in HS to buy:

Amp: Audio Research D76
                        Preamp: Audio Research SP-3a-1
                        TT: Linn Sondek
                        Cartridge: Grace F9E
                        Speakers: KLH 9

In hindsight, probably should have been content, kept it all and saved myself a lot of money over the years

Comment

• Rob
                          Rob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          damn, that's a nice system to have while in HS!

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Understatement of the century! A neighbor downstairs had a similar system that he had bought from Lyric Hi-Fi. Only difference was that he had Timpani IIIs and a vdh cartridge. Sure the ends of your speaker cables though weren't rotting (this guy didn't believe in cables and used zip cord).

Originally posted by Doxycc View Post
                        Circa 1975 when I spent all my money earned from repaving driveways while in HS to buy:

Amp: Audio Research D76
                        Preamp: Audio Research SP-3a-1
                        TT: Linn Sondek
                        Cartridge: Grace F9E
                        Speakers: KLH 9

In hindsight, probably should have been content, kept it all and saved myself a lot of money over the years
                        That's one hell of a first system! Paving driveways must have paid real well.
                        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Really!

• JackD201
                          JackD201 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Double really!

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Must have used gold cobblestones.

Man, you guys had some nice first systems. Does the ADS Atelier series of components (R1 receiver, P1 tt, C1 cassette deck) with Infinity speakers count? Changed to some Polk mini monitors when I blew the drivers on the Infinities. Was the best sound I could afford in HS!

If not, the next system leaped frog to AP Virgo IIs with Rowland electronics, many, many years later. :-)
                        Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Working...
                        X