System Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Optimization

After tima's SRA Scuttle post, I checked out Audio Beat and came across this article written by Roy Gregory about Stirling Trayle's audio system optimization services and thought I would post it here for comments.

I know Stirling and he helped me out a lot in the 1980s when he worked at dB Audio in Berkeley. Somewhat later, he and co-worker John Hunter bought Sumiko. Anyway Stirling is very knowledgeable and there is a lot of good information here.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipmen..._optimized.htm
    Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

One of the things that surprised me in this article was the only suggestion for that bright looking room with the hardwood floor and bare brick walls was just to put a small rug on the floor.
    Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like panels in the front corners. Maybe something behind the B52s poster? Rather high ceilings. Every room an adventure.

• david k
      david k commented
      Editing a comment
      The idea behind the article was setup without spending money and this was in a domestic environment that ugly acoustic tampons just wouldn't do. To be honest every time I set up a system I end up dragging stuff out of the room, specially acoustic tampons and tweaks.

david

There's a lot of truth about set up, it's the only way to the next level and becomes more critical with the complexity of the system. What's described in the article is pretty basic and straightforward stuff that people do for themselves.

david
    Last edited by david k; 05-06-2017, 06:02 PM.
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

""" without spending money" yep those added on Stillpoints are not cheap if that isn't adding lots of money something is wrong but that MUST be the " full system-optimization package". Where he just blows your wallet on what could be.
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

As an acoustician myself, I find that the "tampon" thing has indeed gone too far. A lot can be done with everyday items if room geometry is basically sound. Will you get mastering lab or even recording space results, no BUT it does not mean a domestic room need look like one. Moreover there are so many ways to hide treatments.

I think every audio guy should really get hands on with system optimization. Being unafraid to play with speaker position alone gives one a potentially priceless mental database of cause and effects. Yes sometimes things sound so good we all get afraid to touch anything. Still, we can always zero things out with the help of some tape and a marker. In my opinion knowing how a loudspeaker reacts within the space is an absolute necessity. Very rarely do I see people setting up who actual listen around the loudspeakers to see how they disperse. Usually its just shuffling between the speakers and the sitting position.

Comment

I have found that large shelves of LPs effectively damp a too bright room....
            Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner, Moon 280D DAC

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS, Hegel HD12 DAC

#3 Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

Working...
            X