Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was the Best Audio System (s) You Have Heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was the Best Audio System (s) You Have Heard?

Your own excluded.

I would be remiss if I didn't start off mentioning the person whom I consider both my audio and music mentor: Sid Marks. Outside of maybe Jack English, there's no one I learned more from about reviewing than Sid. Sid's system when I first met him in the early '80s was far beyond anything I owned or had heard at the time and really inspired me in my quest for the Holy Grail. The first time I visited Sid's house, he was driving his Infinity RS1bs (he had just sold his RS1as) with the cj Premier 1 tube amplifier and IIRC (and he had tried many bass amps without success) the Perreaux 2150 on the bass towers. The rest of his system consisted of the Goldmund Studio table//T3 arm, the cj Premier 3 preamplifier and MIT cabling. Over the years, the cartridges rangied from the Spectral to the Accuphase to the Shinon Red (the worst sounding cartridge he tried but I'm still not sure Sam Burstein set the Red up correctly since it was so far up in the back) to the Lyras. (I'm sure I've forgotten a few, maybe a Koetsu???) Over the years, his electronics ranged from Motif to Vendetta Research to Jadis to Krell bass amplifiers, etc. Following the Goldmund, his tables included various VPI tables with an ET-2, then the Air Tangent and then the 12-inch VPI arms. Over the the years, the RS1bs were extensively modded with the biggest change occurring when Sid had Mike Tsecouras, then at Texas Instruments and now President and Chief Technical Officer at Audio Research, build him a totally new xover. Other changes included restuffing the towers, rewiring the speakers, changing the dustcaps, anchoring the midrange panels, new pots, etc. Outside of scale of music, Sid's system just did so many things well including dynamics, resolution, bass and moving air in the nether regions, and most of all, just sounding like music. But most of all good bass, because Sid was and still is a bass freak. He would spend hours moving those bass towers an inch or two and listening to the result.

To be continued.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Greg Berons MBL system with his UHA R2R as the source. Bar none the best ever for me.
    Marty

Comment

Outside of my own and those that I set up and/or sold I have to go with a WE system that I heard over in Japan over at a friend's. IMO he's got THE collection of vintage high end audio in the world and its all in original and mint working condition. The sound was amazing even in the tight and cramped space,

Click image for larger version

Name:	R0010857.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	3562

Name:	R0010861.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	3564

Name:	R0010866-3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	3566

david

Last edited by david k; 02-16-2016, 08:15 PM.
      Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
      Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
      Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

David-what am I looking at in the bottom picture?

What is he driving the WEs with?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The speakers were driven with WE electronics, still looking for the images. This was a few years ago when I had no filing system beside iPhoto which sucks!

The table was a Swedish broadcast model, not sure who was the manufacturer but probably by whoever made the motors for Neumann lathes. The bottom picture is the motor and shaft exactly as in Neumann Lathes. Even the platter is a very similar design,

Name:	R0010863.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	3582

david

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          David-what am I looking at in the bottom picture?

What is he driving the WEs with?
          Last edited by david k; 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM.

Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
            (,,,)
            The table was a Swedish broadcast model, not sure who was the manufacturer but probably by whoever made the motors for Neumann lathes. The bottom picture is the motor and shaft exactly as in Neumann Lathes. Even the platter is a very similar design,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3582[/ATTACH]

david

David,

So, you have heard the famous Lyrec turntable - remarkable! But as far as I remember it was was manufactured in Denmark. Their tape recorders still show for sale from time to time in Nordic countries.

My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

Comment

I have been fortunate to have heard some very close-to-the-real-deal audio. My first foray into über high end was at Peter Macgrath's Coconut Grove shop. He had a tricked out room, with Wilson Puppy's/sub driven by some outrageous Mark Levinson amps; front end Mr. Macgrath's own master tapes. He blackened the room and bang. The stage and delicacy and realism was awfully real.
              Peter McGowan had a demo with the Genesis One's powered by his electronics in, of all places, the back room of a Best Buy in Chicago. Huge space that sounded all to true.
              The Vandy 7's pulled it off, as did my buddy's Avalon/Wadia/CAT based system.
              At Axpona 2015, I found the Tidal room stunning. We were in the sweet spot until being tossed, due to the end...of the show.
              Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Originally posted by microstrip View Post

David,

So, you have heard the famous Lyrec turntable - remarkable! But as far as I remember it was was manufactured in Denmark. Their tape recorders still show for sale from time to time in Nordic countries.
                Ok, so that's what it is, thanks for the clarification Francisco. This was the only time I've come across a Lyrec, don't know anything about their R2Rs.

david
                Last edited by david k; 02-17-2016, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by siddh View Post
                  I have been fortunate to have heard some very close-to-the-real-deal audio. My first foray into über high end was at Peter Macgrath's Coconut Grove shop. He had a tricked out room, with Wilson Puppy's/sub driven by some outrageous Mark Levinson amps; front end Mr. Macgrath's own master tapes. He blackened the room and bang. The stage and delicacy and realism was awfully real.
                  Peter McGowan had a demo with the Genesis One's powered by his electronics in, of all places, the back room of a Best Buy in Chicago. Huge space that sounded all to true.
                  The Vandy 7's pulled it off, as did my buddy's Avalon/Wadia/CAT based system.
                  At Axpona 2015, I found the Tidal room stunning. We were in the sweet spot until being tossed, due to the end...of the show.
                  Took him a lot of work to get that sound in that room too!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Another really impressive system that I heard many years ago was also based around extensively modded Infinity RS1bs. This chap lived in NH and was a friend of AJ Conti, owner and chief designer for Basis turntables.

Bob had a huge room and the rest of his system comprised ARC M100s (one of my fave old ARC amps maybe next to the D250 Servo) on the top end and a cj Premier 1 driving the bottom end. The rest of the system consisted of an ARC SP10 preamplifier, Goldmund table/T3 arm and a Carnegie cartridge and like Sid, all MIT wiring. (he also had one of AJ's first prototype tables so that gives you a hint how long ago this was!) Well, there is no substitute for space and this system was about spaciousness and full range reproduction. When Bob put on some of the old Decca/RCAs recorded at Kingsway Hall, you knew why they eventually built the Kingsway filter. You could hear and feel the Underground passing under the hall during the recording (the only other system that I've heard that had the type of resolution was HP's; when Harry talked about hearing AC noise at CSO, he wasn't kidding! It just depended upon which day you visited HP and who was his set up guy as far as the sound went.) But Bob's system was more than just a toy; his system transported you back to the recording and it really played music, especially for what was out there in those days. Whether it was a Mancini RCA, a Mercury, etc., there was just an ease to the music, a delicacy, resolution, that brought the music to life. (that's why I consider the Infinities a classic speaker design!) And the low end was thunderous! We were lucky enough to spend the weekend with Bob and we were sad when he had to pack up on Sunday and head back to NY!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post
                      Greg Berons MBL system with his UHA R2R as the source. Bar none the best ever for me.

I'll second that one.

BUT, right up there would be Lloyd Walkers in his house.

I would only nominate in this category based on extended listening sessions.
                      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD1200s Headphones.

Comment

I'd have to say the system Winston Ma had about 5yr. ago. He's always had the Avalon Sentinel's, but the amps and pre he was using at the time was by David Berning. The room had a lot to do with the sound as well.

Comment

Best show I've attended (Stereophile, SF Bay Area) also had three of the best systems I've heard...Audible difference brought Infinity IRS V with top of the range ARC, Versa Dynamics 2.0 and the 2-box Spectral digital front end. Same show had the mammoth four piece Martin Logan Statements with ginormous Krell Reference gear. Jason Bloom demoed his magnum opus the Apogee Grands...they don't make shows - or audio systems- like that anymore.
                          Simon Yorke S10 + My Sonic Lab Eminent GL + B.M.C. MCCI Signature ULN | Simon Yorke S9 + Koetsu Rosewood Standard + AcousticPlan Phonomaster | Wadia X-32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Not sure it was "the best" I ever heard or not, but one that left the biggest impact on me was in the late 1970s (78 or 79), getting to hear a full Mark Levinson HQD system in a real home installation while I was in college. The sound was clearly the best I had heard at that time, and by a large margin. I wish I could remember what turntable was being used. Unfortunately, the person who owned it felt the records a few of us brought weren't worthy and insisted on playing only from his collection. I got to play about one minute from one of my records (Tarkus, by ELP) and was made to feel like I was wasting everyone's time.
                            A friend from our old Inland Empire Audio society had built his own version (stacked modified Quads, not sure the tweeter, and his own design woofers, his own design Class A amps, preamp and electronic crossover). It was pretty amazing too.
                            Steve Lefkowicz
                            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                            -
                            Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
                            Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
                            Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
                            Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
                            Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
                            Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
                            Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
                            Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                            Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

"other than mine" .......

at CES 2003 or 2004 there was a quad surround system comprised of a pair of Von Schweikert VR11SE's and a pair of VR9SE's with 4 darTZeel stereo 108's vertically bi-amped for power, and the EMM DAC6, EMM transport and EMM Switchman multi-channel pre for electronics.

I still recall the SACD surround of The Who's 'Tommy' playing the native quad recording 'Pinball Wizard' at warp factor 9. not saying it was the best or most refined, but memorable....yes very!!

unforgettable.
                              Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 02-17-2016, 08:16 PM.
                              https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Working...
                              X