Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was the Best Audio System (s) You Have Heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    I thought the Sonjas at CES three years ago with the Tenor electronics IIRC was a nice match.

That sounds like a Bill Parish room as well, when he sold Tenor?
    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

I had a similar experience the first time I heard Watts, back then the Puppy wasn't available and this dealer placed them on Entec subs standing upright. The rest of the system was also Rowland and an oracle front end. The element of total surprise (shock?) took me aback and literally gave me goose bumps. Up till then I didn't know a system could do that. I always wanted a pair of watt/puppies but it never came together, what they did well was so right which wasn't often enough. The illusion would collapse as easily on less than perfect recordings. The early Watt's focal tweeter (the yellow one) was like Jekyll and Hyde.
      Wow, no Puppy - that's super early! Sadly, my great experience with the WPs was short lived however, as I put on classical (Oue/Rite of Spring or Firebird), the Rowland 8T just choked. Oddly, I did get an 8Ti/HC and it drove my Aerial 10Ts easily, with plenty of headroom. Those WPs must've been difficult to drive!
      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post

That sounds like a Bill Parish room as well, when he sold Tenor?

While Bill was there, I actually think it was more YG's rooms.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I had a similar experience the first time I heard Watts, back then the Puppy wasn't available and this dealer placed them on Entec subs standing upright. The rest of the system was also Rowland and an oracle front end. The element of total surprise (shock?) took me aback and literally gave me goose bumps. Up till then I didn't know a system could do that. I always wanted a pair of watt/puppies but it never came together, what they did well was so right which wasn't often enough. The illusion would collapse as easily on less than perfect recordings. The early Watt's focal tweeter (the yellow one) was like Jekyll and Hyde.

I had the W/P 5--->5.1 on long term loan a long time ago for a survey of SE tube amplifiers that I was carrying out. I think that most people forget the W/P were originally conceived as studio monitor and the Puppies came along later. I think Gavin Fish now with Light Harmonics has serial number 001 and 002.

That tweeter was an issue but the Transparent Audio sourced Puppy Tail (the 5.1 update) did ameliorate the problem somewhat. As did a good tube amplifier like the push-pull cj or VAC Rennaissance 30 or the SE tube Audio Note or Cary. I got the W/P sounding pretty sweet from the midbass to the lower midrange especially with the Audio Note tube amplifier. Herb and Mike really liked the sound at my place. The W/P could really throw a convincing stage filled with imagex but what drove me crazy was their lack of image height especially coming from Magnepan 3As and the lack of resolution. It twasn't until the Sashas that I think Dave made inroads in the resolution area.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I heard the Levinson HQDs back in the mid 70's, Decca ribbon tweeters, Quads and huge Hartley woofers. They were driven by a stack of Threshold Stasis electronics, Forget what the table was, Micro Seiki?. The sound scaled nicely but it was not a well integrated sound. But the midrange was exceedingly smooth. The Decca ribbons tended to fail often but were very sweet.

Years later a most modest system mightily impressed me. It consisted of an Enlightened Audio Devices CD layer, a Plinius integrated amplifier and Meadowlark Hotrod Shearwater speakers. The EAD was IMO a superlative machine with very, very little digital artifact. Unfortunately they mistakenly backed DVD-A and the failure of the format broke their small company. Plinius, less well known than they deserve to be. Meadowlark made very interesting first order two ways and the Shearwater Hotrod had upgraded wiring and crossover components. On female vocals it was stunning for such a modest setup, a very natural and smooth sound. I was saving up for a pair when they went out of business. Likewise the EAD. Such are the visectitudes of life.

And is you might note, the size of anything I consider impressive is not a factor, only that it impresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
              I heard the Levinson HQDs back in the mid 70's, Decca ribbon tweeters, Quads and huge Hartley woofers. They were driven by a stack of Threshold Stasis electronics, Forget what the table was, Micro Seiki?. The sound scaled nicely but it was not a well integrated sound. But the midrange was exceedingly smooth. The Decca ribbons tended to fail often but were very sweet.
              A system that I sadly never had the opportunity to hear. Jim Aud of Purist Audio has a pair in his attic I believe.

Years later a most modest system mightily impressed me. It consisted of an Enlightened Audio Devices CD layer, a Plinius integrated amplifier and Meadowlark Hotrod Shearwater speakers. The EAD was IMO a superlative machine with very, very little digital artifact. Unfortunately they mistakenly backed DVD-A and the failure of the format broke their small company. Plinius, less well known than they deserve to be. Meadowlark made very interesting first order two ways and the Shearwater Hotrod had upgraded wiring and crossover components. On female vocals it was stunning for such a modest setup, a very natural and smooth sound. I was saving up for a pair when they went out of business. Likewise the EAD. Such are the visectitudes of life.

And is you might note, the size of anything I consider impressive is not a factor, only that it impresses.
              I always wondered what happened to Meadowlark. In their day (back in the '90s???), they produced some very nice sounding speakers including the Blue Heron and Kestrel. Just very easy on the ears.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Not to mention nicest gentleman in the world and makes some pretty fine sounding recordings too. It was Winston who finally pushed me over the edge to jump into tape.

Not sure how current this picture is!
                This was two weeks ago at Winston's place. There are changes in his system other than the speakers.

Comment

• nc42acc
                  nc42acc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What speakers are these if I may ask?

• Ki Choi
                  Ki Choi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As Bruce, mentioned, they are the Avalon Sentinels.

• nc42acc
                  nc42acc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, I must have overlooked his comment.

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post

This was two weeks ago at Winston's place. There are changes in his system other than the speakers.

Aha! I know those amplifiers!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Aha! I know those amplifiers!
                  They look familiar to me.
                  Every day is a good day to play analog.
                  - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                  - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                  Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post

Ki, did you get to hear the big Audia Flight Strumento No. 8 monoblocks in Winston's system? According to Paul Manos, the Audia Flight importer, the monos are supposedly even better than the stereo amplifier I reviewed. Not to mention the Mk. 2 amplifiers are better yet. I'd imagine they make a nice match for the Avalons. Plus Steve McCormack's preamplifier is no slouch either.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I had the W/P 5--->5.1 on long term loan a long time ago for a survey of SE tube amplifiers that I was carrying out. I think that most people forget the W/P were originally conceived as studio monitor and the Puppies came along later. I think Gavin Fish now with Light Harmonics has serial number 001 and 002.
                      Yes, Dave created them for monitoring at remote locations, the integral carrying handle remained as a reminder. The Mk I -III used completely different driver than the V, It has a light-weight paper pulp SEAS mid-woofer and fabric domed Focal tweeter. The transparency and resolution was electrostatic-like. If you ever get the chance to hear Mk Is do it, very few are out there its probably the rarest of all Wilsons.
                      Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Yes, Dave created them for monitoring at remote locations, the integral carrying handle remained as a reminder. The Mk I -III used completely different driver than the V, It has a light-weight paper pulp SEAS mid-woofer and fabric domed Focal tweeter. The transparency and resolution was electrostatic-like. If you ever get the chance to hear Mk Is do it, very few are out there its probably the rarest of all Wilsons.

I should also add that I didn't use the "Wilson" set-up when I had the W/P in my room. The WASP method was at that time in its infancy but at least in my room, setting up by thirds and going from there was sonically better. I understand the rationale behind the WASP method eg. not having the two speakers interfere with each other but don't necessarily think it's best or only way to properly set the speakers up. But it is nice to see a company like Wilson have a protocol for their dealers to follow--and a brand standard--for Wilson customers. That is what is called total service.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I heard quite a fine set of Apogee speakers driven by Mark Levinson electronics (back in the 80s when it still was Mark Levinson!), plus the source material was a 30ips master tape played back on a Levinson-modified Studer deck. I think engineer genius Peter McGrath brought the Suder deck to help demo the other gear for the dealer.
                          DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge;

Comment

Originally posted by TubeMan View Post
                            I heard quite a fine set of Apogee speakers driven by Mark Levinson electronics (back in the 80s when it still was Mark Levinson!), plus the source material was a 30ips master tape played back on a Levinson-modified Studer deck. I think engineer genius Peter McGrath brought the Suder deck to help demo the other gear for the dealer.

Yes a ML5.

Click image for larger version

Name:	884786-mark-levinson-audio-systems-ml5-one-owner-near-mint.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	4348

Click image for larger version

Name:	ML-5+typeplate.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	4349 Lyric Hi-Fi had a Studer deck there for the longest time and on occasion Mike Kay used to pull it out. Very rare occasion.

From what I see there were several (three?) iterations of the ML5 deck? Biggest Levinson deck owner 'myth' never proven? Rumor has it that every purchaser of the ML5 got copies of all of Mark's recordings. But have yet to find anyone with these tapes and every time I've seen one for sale, no dice either.

The King-Cello tape preamplifier that I use is the guts of the ML5.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Sadly, I was never in a position to prove/disprove that theory! But I can attest to the absolutely mind-blowing sound quality of its recordings! The closest I ever got to that level was a modified Studer/Revox PR-99. My Schoeps and B&K mics went a long way toward providing sweet sound, though! My Tandberg TD20A sounded great, too.
                              DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge;

Comment

Working...
                              X