Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was the Best Audio System (s) You Have Heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Yes a ML5.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n4348[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n4349[/ATTACH] Lyric Hi-Fi had a Studer deck there for the longest time and on occasion Mike Kay used to pull it out. Very rare occasion.

From what I see there were several (three?) iterations of the ML5 deck? Biggest Levinson deck owner 'myth' never proven? Rumor has it that every purchaser of the ML5 got copies of all of Mark's recordings. But have yet to find anyone with these tapes and every time I've seen one for sale, no dice either.

The King-Cello tape preamplifier that I use is the guts of the ML5.
    I was at Mark's showrooms, both the one off 5th and the one on Park Ave., his demos always left a lasting impression but sadly were never matched when you heard his systems anywhere else… Maybe it was all him!

david
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post

I was at Mark's showrooms, both the one off 5th and the one on Park Ave., his demos always left a lasting impression but sadly were never matched when you heard his systems anywhere else… Maybe it was all him!

david

The Cello store in L.A was like that...they used R2R sources of Mark's recordings for their demos, you couldn't help but be blown away. of course the tapes were unobtainium as far as the customer was concerned but it left a lasting impression as you said.
      Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post

david
        I was at the 5th Ave. showroom (was that the one on a hotel?) the week it opened. David King, a friend who has worked at Stereo Exchange previously, was the first showroom manager. The sound was horrible. In retrospect, they probably hadn't sorted the sound out yet. They were using those LST speakers, were playing early digital and I couldn't think of one thing I liked about the system. The sound was one amorphous blob and when I mentioned that, one of the salesmen snidely remarked Mark doesn't believe in staging and imaging. But Mark sold a few of those systems around the Metropolitan area. In hindsight, some of the components were better than I thought at the time.

And oh yes, Mark is a good salesman but he wasn't there that day. But Mark did come up to the Westchester Club on one occasion and of course have run into Mark at a couple of shows. I had an interesting run in when he was trying to demo this new digital correction software (a version of the original one him and Dick Burwen put together). I supposedly ID'd the wrong thing at his demo and he of course being a reviewer, gave Mark an opportunity to berate me. Truth be told, I had ID'd a bad edit in the recording where the sound totally changed but Mark of course never heard.

In fact, I think Ki has the Palette with the tape stage and used that in his tape transfers. My tape section is based on that 603 tape module. A year of two ago, had the "new" Cello amps in house for review and they were worlds better than I remembered from the showroom.

I thought Mark had far better sound when he opened Red Rose music next to the Whitney Museum. At least by then, digital had greatly improved and he was playing some SACDs with music he had recorded.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

*bump*

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I don't know about the best, but the most impressive sound I ever heard was at Ed Pong's place, when he invited me for an afternoon to show how he does his recordings. Got a chance to listen to some tape in his audio room, which is located one floor up by way of a spiral staircase. Don't ask me what the song selections were, but laying down on a dentist chair with my eyes closed transported me almost into another universe. It was awesome.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

One of the GTT rooms at RMAF in I think 2012. Had the Accuphase front end with Veloce preamp and Tenor amplifier driving YG Acoustics Anat III signature studio speakers, really worked for me. My wife and I spent two days at The Univ. of the South in Sewanee Tn. listening to the Wilson XLF speakers and all top Ayre electronics and TT. By far the best music collection I've seen in person or read about anywhere, along with an insanely built music room made for an unbelievable listening experience. Got to listen to a lot of new music and brought 15-20 LPs of our own. A room that could truly transport you to the venue.
              http://www.stereophile.com/content/r...Ui8Xbo6qXsb.97
              Last edited by tom_hankins; 06-05-2016, 03:25 PM. Reason: added info about the Ralson listening room
              SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
              DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
              PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
              PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
              AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
              SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
              CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

The best I've heard was Mike B's system down in Sarasota and his equipment is all configured in a dedicated treated listening room set up by Jim Smith. Smiles, feet tapping, head bobbing it had it all, with all forms of music.
                Last edited by cpp; 06-20-2016, 10:06 AM.
                Chris
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Everyone who has been to Mike's loves his system. Especially with tape now. Why not? He's starting with some sweet gear! 😋 Sure those Magicos sound great in his system. Have you heard it since Mike got his Vitus amps?

A Tie! -no not the thing round your neck !

Levinson HQD Full system 1980's Excel Hkg

Chris's AExotics CessaroKamen/Vertere/Chokou/Madake/Koda/Wadax /Tripoint/ Goebel/ Dalby/ also Hkg Feb 016

Soc

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                  A Tie! -no not the thing round your neck !

Levinson HQD Full system 1980's Excel Hkg

Chris's AExotics CessaroKamen/Vertere/Chokou/Madake/Koda/Wadax /Tripoint/ Goebel/ Dalby/ also Hkg Feb 016

Soc
                  Took a lot more money to day to equal the '80s HQD system?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Audiocrack's Genesis 1.1 set up with Walker Proscenium, Kondo's finest, Scarlatti full-stack...and finetuned to the nth degree...the floor slab of concrete underneath teh equipment in the living room is even separate from that under the speakers!!!

Hong Kong's Rockport Dealer...Edward Lau...Arrakis, 4 VTL Siegfried IIs, Rockport Sirius III TT and Clearaudio Master Ref TT...another work of art.

Anything else i've heard is the next notch down for me.
                    SOURCE: Zanden 4-Box Digital
                    AMP: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo
                    SPEAKER: Wilson X1/SLAMMS + Velodyne DD18+

CABLE: TA Opus + PAD 25th + Sablon GCUber
                    POWER: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
                    ISOLATION: Under: HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
                    GROUND/SHIELD/TUBE: Tripoint Troy Sig Thor+Entreq Atlantis / Receivus+Everest+Wrap / Amperex+Mullard
                    ROOM: Stillpoints Apertures+Acoustic Underlay

HEADPHONE: Sennheiser 650+Arcam rHead+Apogee Groove

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
                      I'd have to say the system Winston Ma had about 5yr. ago. He's always had the Avalon Sentinel's, but the amps and pre he was using at the time was by David Berning. The room had a lot to do with the sound as well.
                      +1
                      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Socrates
                        Socrates commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ah he must have changed when I last heard Winston's System it was Tube Research and Ascent II's

RIP WM

Soc

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        👍

Originally posted by LL21 View Post
                      Audiocrack's Genesis 1.1 set up with Walker Proscenium, Kondo's finest, Scarlatti full-stack...and finetuned to the nth degree...the floor slab of concrete underneath teh equipment in the living room is even separate from that under the speakers!!!

Hong Kong's Rockport Dealer...Edward Lau...Arrakis, 4 VTL Siegfried IIs, Rockport Sirius III TT and Clearaudio Master Ref TT...another work of art.

Anything else i've heard is the next notch down for me.
                      I'd imagine the Kondo/Genesis would be a match made in heaven! Especially since it wouldn't have to handle the low end (not that the Kondo is weak there).

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

For me it's many auditions at lyric hifi NYC . they were an infinity dealer then. The IRSv were amazing at the time I could not afford them through .
                        analog stuff.
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Socrates
                          Socrates commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ha! I went up to the Glass door-bell or buzzer cannot recall--

King Kong came to view me --decided i did not look like Lyric Money bags customer and turned his back and walked away

never been back-nor recommended since

Blah!

Soc

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Out of curiosity, how long ago did that happen?

• Socrates
                          Socrates commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sheessh Myles! must've been mid/latish 70's when I worked in NY--I can still recall the face staring at me though--

reminded me sorta like a Boris Karloff or Abe Vigoda--

Soc

Funny thing is the last time I was there. It was just beifee meeting you. I went here during the week and asked to hear an good analog setup. they out Ina room with focal speakers that I have heard before nice speakers and Macintosh complete line. It sounded good but the record was littered with noise heck I did better when I was stoned
                        back in the day. He did not even clean the record lol. Idiots really. I played a few songs there. It straingely brought back somehow. It was like going home where you grew up but do not live there anymore.
                        Whwn I asked him about the noise he just shrugged his shoulders and said that vinyl. Then I met you Myles and that was immensely a pleasure to the brain. The speed of stats is always good with great electronics. By the ways I bought every PC of mauic you played for me even the NEIL redord. To this day most of what you played is reference material. Of course mine is Imatation digital lol.
                        analog stuff.
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

I had the pleasure of hearing fellow member Marty Wax's system this past weekend and have to say his audio rig was one of the best high-end systems that I've heard in quite some time. Marty’s system really meets one criteria that many systems fall short of: a big—no make that huge soundstage—with full frequency range reproduction. Interestingly, unlike many audio systems with huge soundstages, focus and holography did not suffer in return in his system. Images of instruments and singers were solidly focussed whether it be digital or analog playback, whether it be between or outside the edges of the speaker. And make no mistake. There’s a ton of things going on outside his speakers and wish I had remembered to bring along a copy of Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall. (I have to start putting a travel list together).

Nor did he fall into this sound by accident. Marty is meticulous in his choice of gear, set-up and his room is probably second to none. I don’t think I’d be putting my neck on the chopping block when saying we'd all kill to have a room like Marty's (literally built fromt he ground up and measuring in at 24 ft wide x 35 ft long x 14-16 ft high). Moreso, for those who don’t know Marty, he has had a very interesting journey through high-end audio starting in college working at Paul Heath Audio up in Rochester trading pay for equipment and later moving on to owning his own store out in California that later became GNP Audio (hope I remembered that right!)

I don't have an exact listing of the gear in Marty's system but here's a general rundown.

Speakers: Pipedreams crossed over at 78 Hz to JL Labs Gotham subs
                          Electronics: Spectral 360 amps and VTL preamplifier (?). Gothams are self powered.
                          Front-end: Goldmund T3 table/T5 arm/Benz Ruby cartridge/Vibraplane; Meitner digital (?)
                          Cables: MIT interconnect and speaker cables

Marty was a great host and humored me playing all the albums I had brought over with me. See, my philosophy like clothes and travel, is to overpack. You never know what you'll need and better to bring too many LPs rather than leave something home and regret it later! Even so, that system isn’t perfect.

Besides the aforementioned qualities, what also impressed me about Marty’s system was the ease in which it discriminated between miniscule changes in tracking force, differences between LPs and CDs etc. For instance, his changing the VTF up or down by 0.025 grams was instantly apparent. (Remember changing VTA/SRA on the Goldmund arm is not the easiest thing in the world to do!) Not that it was ruthlessly revealing of faults, but every recording on his system—as it well should—sounded different. There was no overwhelming coloration that obscured the differences between recordings.

Probably the other thing that really impressed me were his new Spectral amplifiers. They weren’t cold and icy like previous iterations of Spectral gear. Admittedly, Marty is balancing out the sound of his system using the VTL tube preamplifier, and one wonders if using the Spectral amplifier in combo with the Spectral preamplifier might just be too much of a good thing. Where the Spectral amplifiers really stood out to my ears was in the midrange. They (or the system) were neither too tubey nor too solid-state sounding. Voices were magnificently rendered (something the Benz do so, so well) and were really clean (or had exceptional clarity) and detailed without being overly analytical.

Thanks again to Marty for being a great host and indulging me. It was a fun day and we certainly put a few hours on that cartridge Saturday. As I said to Marty, those internet trolls that diss high-end audio as being snake oil and the only thing that counts are measurements ought to hear Marty's system.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                          X