Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was the Best Audio System (s) You Have Heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siddh
    replied
    I have been fortunate to have heard some very close-to-the-real-deal audio. My first foray into ├╝ber high end was at Peter Macgrath's Coconut Grove shop. He had a tricked out room, with Wilson Puppy's/sub driven by some outrageous Mark Levinson amps; front end Mr. Macgrath's own master tapes. He blackened the room and bang. The stage and delicacy and realism was awfully real.
    Peter McGowan had a demo with the Genesis One's powered by his electronics in, of all places, the back room of a Best Buy in Chicago. Huge space that sounded all to true.
    The Vandy 7's pulled it off, as did my buddy's Avalon/Wadia/CAT based system.
    At Axpona 2015, I found the Tidal room stunning. We were in the sweet spot until being tossed, due to the end...of the show.

Leave a comment:

• microstrip
    replied
    Originally posted by david k View Post
    (,,,)
    The table was a Swedish broadcast model, not sure who was the manufacturer but probably by whoever made the motors for Neumann lathes. The bottom picture is the motor and shaft exactly as in Neumann Lathes. Even the platter is a very similar design,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3582[/ATTACH]

david

David,

So, you have heard the famous Lyrec turntable - remarkable! But as far as I remember it was was manufactured in Denmark. Their tape recorders still show for sale from time to time in Nordic countries.

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    The speakers were driven with WE electronics, still looking for the images. This was a few years ago when I had no filing system beside iPhoto which sucks!

The table was a Swedish broadcast model, not sure who was the manufacturer but probably by whoever made the motors for Neumann lathes. The bottom picture is the motor and shaft exactly as in Neumann Lathes. Even the platter is a very similar design,

Click image for larger version

Name:	R0010863.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	3582

david

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    David-what am I looking at in the bottom picture?

What is he driving the WEs with?
    Last edited by david k; 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    David-what am I looking at in the bottom picture?

What is he driving the WEs with?

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    Outside of my own and those that I set up and/or sold I have to go with a WE system that I heard over in Japan over at a friend's. IMO he's got THE collection of vintage high end audio in the world and its all in original and mint working condition. The sound was amazing even in the tight and cramped space,

Name:	R0010857.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	3562

Name:	R0010861.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	3564

Name:	R0010866-3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	3566

david

Last edited by david k; 02-16-2016, 08:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nc42acc
    replied
    Greg Berons MBL system with his UHA R2R as the source. Bar none the best ever for me.

Leave a comment:

• What Was the Best Audio System (s) You Have Heard?

Your own excluded.

I would be remiss if I didn't start off mentioning the person whom I consider both my audio and music mentor: Sid Marks. Outside of maybe Jack English, there's no one I learned more from about reviewing than Sid. Sid's system when I first met him in the early '80s was far beyond anything I owned or had heard at the time and really inspired me in my quest for the Holy Grail. The first time I visited Sid's house, he was driving his Infinity RS1bs (he had just sold his RS1as) with the cj Premier 1 tube amplifier and IIRC (and he had tried many bass amps without success) the Perreaux 2150 on the bass towers. The rest of his system consisted of the Goldmund Studio table//T3 arm, the cj Premier 3 preamplifier and MIT cabling. Over the years, the cartridges rangied from the Spectral to the Accuphase to the Shinon Red (the worst sounding cartridge he tried but I'm still not sure Sam Burstein set the Red up correctly since it was so far up in the back) to the Lyras. (I'm sure I've forgotten a few, maybe a Koetsu???) Over the years, his electronics ranged from Motif to Vendetta Research to Jadis to Krell bass amplifiers, etc. Following the Goldmund, his tables included various VPI tables with an ET-2, then the Air Tangent and then the 12-inch VPI arms. Over the the years, the RS1bs were extensively modded with the biggest change occurring when Sid had Mike Tsecouras, then at Texas Instruments and now President and Chief Technical Officer at Audio Research, build him a totally new xover. Other changes included restuffing the towers, rewiring the speakers, changing the dustcaps, anchoring the midrange panels, new pots, etc. Outside of scale of music, Sid's system just did so many things well including dynamics, resolution, bass and moving air in the nether regions, and most of all, just sounding like music. But most of all good bass, because Sid was and still is a bass freak. He would spend hours moving those bass towers an inch or two and listening to the result.

To be continued.
Working...
X