No announcement yet.

When did you become an audiophile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1967. High school junior. I was studying trumpet with a Philly orchestra member. The brass sections of the Philly, Cleveland, and Chicago orchestras made a Columbia recording of Gabrielli Canzonas. Bought a copy and went to a school friends house. He had an AR TT and I don't recall what other equipment. Anyway I was blown away by the sound quality. Didn't really think about it much for a long time. Bought a mid fi system in college. Audio was always just a tool to get to the music at that time. As a musician, and a snotty one too, no reproduced music meant much to me because I was so immersed in live music. Anyway, about 1988 a friend bought a system with Vandy 2s. Couldn't believe how good it sounded compare to mine. The rest is history.
    TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

Who's converted someone from a civilian into into a card carrying audiophile?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
        1morerecord2clean commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t think I have converted anyone into an audiophile who wasn’t one Myles but I know I convinced a close friend that his complete conversion to digital about 12 years ago was a mistake. He bought my Well Tempered when I bought my TW and he had to buy back all the records he sold off via eBay and of course at higher prices.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I had BIC 44 speakers back then too (like Johnny).They were pretty awesome. Definitely could fill a large room with Rock & Roll. Eventually, they took a beer bottle to the woofer because I liked to listen with the grills off at my college apt. Yamaha CR640 receiver and Technics Q3 TT. Had a Stanton 881s Cartridge which was pretty nice back in the day!
        My big spend was a pair of Stax SR5 headphones which cost around $500 back then. I still have them today in near mint condition.

TT: ATLP120 w/mods> Emotiva XPS-1 Gen 2
        Carts- Denon 103, Shure M35x (various Jico options), LP Gear CF3600le
        Line Stage: McCormack Micro Line Drive (passive)
        Pwr Amp: Adcom 535 Gen 1 modified. GFA545
        Speakers: Mirage M7Si
        Digital: JRiver 20 Windows 10 server, Adcom GDA-700, Denon DTR2000G DAT
        Tuner- Sangean HD1 (w/ 12db attenuates)
        Headphones: Stax SR5, SR34, Sennheisser Momentum
        Cables: Kimber PBJ/8VS. Transparent Music Link/Musicwave.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Who's converted someone from a civilian into into a card carrying audiophile?
          I've never converted anyone from a civilian into an audiophile, but I think I had something to do with a few people getting more involved and taking that next step and beyond...much more than I even am right now (ok...maybe that's not saying much). In my case it wasn't so much about the gear as opposed to them being able to hear the differences between various pressings. They started buying based on some of my recommendations and then wanted more. The fascination with those improvements on the media side got them to start exploring better gear. I hope I helped at least a tiny bit towards them getting interested in our hobby.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I have loved music since my first memories. When I was very young, my grandfather gave me a small portable reel-to-reel tape recorder with microphone (long before cassettes). I listened to AM radio at the time and I remember recording The Doors "Light My Fire" off the radio in 1967. That was the beginning of my fascination with equipment.

When I got my first part-time job (in high school), I bought a receiver at a local mall. It had an 8-track player built-in (oh the horror). But I din't consider myself as an audiophile yet. Since I was poor, I built my own speakers (kits from Speakerlab in Seattle, like the Super 7's). I lusted after a pair of Klipschorn corner horns but couldn't afford them. So I saved my money and ended up getting kits to build a cheaper variant using MDF construction and a fiberglass mid-range horn. I built the horns in my parents garage and ran them with a 10 WPC Sony Superscope amp and Dual turntable, the system had the acoustic power to level a city block. That's when I became a true audiophile. And my parents were happy when I moved out.

I read all of the audio magazines, changed system every 3-5 years and owned hundreds of different components since.

Comment

I was barely a toddler, left unattended for but a moment. Like mep, in Detroit, Michigan, Motown. Rocking out on the floor in front of our tubed HiFi, have no idea what was playing but it must have been one of my Dad’s many swing Jazz records. I must have been having a really good time with it because I rocked back and hit my head on the corner of the mono console enough to crack my head wide open and in need of stitches. The wound healed, but I never did. Music, and sound quality have never meant so very much since! Later I would drag home Alice Cooper, Rolling Stones, the Byrds, Led Zeppelin, the Animals, the Zombies, Pink Floyd, and a copy of Sgt. Pepper (purchased by accident, intended to get it in Stereo I believe, or did I?), to play on that beautiful sounding kit. On to my adult years and it hasn’t even begun to slow down since... I was damaged right from the start! Some would go on to blame their parent’s neglect in therapy... I praise them (again and again) for as penny pinching as they were in those days, they dropped good coin on a solid piece of HiFi. And I’ve got the scare to prove it!
              Listening/Living room is 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live and dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairy hair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident Techn PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks

Comment

I became an audiophile around 13, so that must be around 1977; before that, I loved playing with my dad's Dual radio/receiver and turntable. I zapped myself a couple of times with 220V, while trying to modify the tube circuit inside, and I can tell you it's not fun! It wasn't really until some time in the 80s when I first heard the Reference Recordings RR-9 LP, Kronos Quartet 'In Formation', that I realized what the high end is all about. In it, the credits refer to "Spectral Audio Associates" and that's when my journey really started.
                Last edited by ack; 03-13-2018, 09:06 PM.
                Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

When did you become an audiophile?
                  Thankfully, well before I had enough money to do any real damage.
                  Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Always have been. Does anyone remember back to those days when the number of transistors you had in your portable radio meant something? Or was supposed to mean something? Some portable radios sounded decent and some like crap.

When I was very young my parents took me with them to a few night clubs where there was a live band playing. I noticed the sound. And I noticed the sound that my neighbors stereo had compared to ours. IIRC we had a Montgomery Wards console stereo and my neighbor had a Zenith. The records being played didn't sound like the live band. I liked the live band. On the records, why didn't the cymbals sound like cymbals?

Different record players sounded better or worse and you didn't have to be an audiophile to notice. I started down the slippery slope many years ago. Records are supposed to sound like the performances pressed into those grooves. Kids notice and crowd used record stores to buys 30+ year old LPs. Its not a fad, its called hearing.

What I am surprised at, is that it took so long for the younger generations to break away from those lousy earbuds. If used record stores started selling some better quality playback gear, and demoing that gear in the stores, we could plant the seeds for the next generation of audiophiles. Let them listen right where they buy their LPs. They will notice the difference and the record stores can have another line of income. Everybody wins.

Ed
                    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
                    https://www.edsstuff.org
                    TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, AQ Leopard, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans
                    Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
                    Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
                    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T5/i
                    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit
                    Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr2
                    Cables: AQ King Cobra, Kimber Hero w/WBT, 8TC

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

For me it began with a love of music that just seemed to develop. I would listen to my mother play her favorites, Perry Como and Mario Lanza, on her Magnavox console. The idea of being able to play a favorite over and over again, simply won me. My first purchase was Acker Bilk's " Stranger on the shore ", which to my mother's consternation, I played over and over again!
                      Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

Great thread, great stories! For me, I started truly getting into music at about age 10. At 12, my dad bought a HeathKit integrated amp for me for my birthday, which we built together. I had a cheap pair of RadioShack speakers, but man I was HOOKED. Sacked groceries one day a week at 14 to be able to buy a Kenwood TT with a Grado cartridge, an FTE+ I think. This was all early 1980’s. Ran VanAlstine modified Dynaco tube gear and Boston Acoustics speakers through college. When I started working I bought some Mangepans, SMG-C’s. 30 years later, here I am
                        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                        VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                        DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

My parents first system, an old Motorola radio (with tubes). It had a table or record player as we called it, in the pull out drawer. Sadly it was tossed before I got it.

Their next move up was a table, I think it was RCA, which attached to the back of our Dumont TV.

In 1964, Ithaca, NY, 8th grade, my first job was a paper route. After noticing a speaker output on the back of the TV, I went to the local appliance dealer to upgrade. I took one home only to find that it did not work. The dealer later explained that I needed an amplifier which would take many weeks of saving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_074822.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	82399

Comment

Back when I was at the Shenandoah Conservatory of Music in the '70s, I fell in love with the Magnepan Tympani speakers. This was the most accurate speaker that I heard that could closely reproduce the sound of real instruments that I was surrounded by every single day.

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
                              EdAInWestOC commented
                              Editing a comment
                              And many people still swear by them...

This is sort of related...

How many of us were the electronics repair person in their home? I can't remember the number of times I removed the back panel from the stereo console or TV set, took out the tubes, went up to our local drug store and checked each out on the tube tester. If you were very lucky they had a replacement tube behind the locked door in the bottom half of the tube tester. I can almost see that dammed thing in my mind.

We had a Muntz TV for a number of years, so I was very busy pulling tubes and testing them. That was a piece of junk! I think I must have worn out several pairs of shoes walking up to the drug store to test tubes.

Sorry for being a bit off topic. Great memories though.
                            Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
                            https://www.edsstuff.org
                            TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, AQ Leopard, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans
                            Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
                            Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
                            Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T5/i
                            Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit
                            Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr2
                            Cables: AQ King Cobra, Kimber Hero w/WBT, 8TC

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Working...
                            X